The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
marichiko

Unhappy Poor Belle Starr!

OK, I know this is supposed to be about human health, not veterinary health, but Home Base is so clogged with wierdness at the moment that I'm posting this down here.

Anyhow, I am really upset tonight, because my puppy, Starr, had the freakiest thing happen to her this evening. I gave her one of those little round marrow bones to chew on, and she went to town on it, chewing happily away. Naturally she extracted all the marrow from the center and kept on chewing the circle of bone that remained. Suddenly, I heard her give a series of pained yelps, and when I went over to see what was wrong, I discovered that she had managed to get the circle of bone wedged over her lower jaw right behind her inscisors. The bone is stuck there, but good. I tried prying it out for her, but its impossible.

Since it was after 6:00pm, I ran her down to the emergency vet clinic which is all the way over in the next town. She whimpered and tried to paw the bone off the entire way. Well, it was a bad night for cats and dogs in the big city, and Starr and I waited two hours there with her becoming ever more upset over both the bone and the noise of her suffering colleagues. Just when we were supposed to get in to see the vet at last, a dog came in that had been hit by a car. The receptionist told me that it would be another hour and it was already 9:00pm.

I had taken her to the emergency vet despite their horrible prices because I wanted help for her right away which she wasn't getting. So, I brought her back home, managed to get a sleeping pill of mine plus half an aspirin down her throat and past the bone. She can't drink, but I managed to drizzle a little water down her throat, too. First thing in the morning, I'm taking her to a regular vet. At least the sleeping pill and aspirin seemed to have zonked her out.

I feel just terrible for her. I know its a small thing compared to a lot of other stuff people post about here, but I just needed to vent some of my frustration over not being able to help my small friend until tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Man, that sucks hard! Is she sleeping now?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

since she is so relaxed try getting the bone out again , it may work , just be patient and steady , I bet you can work it out .

Good luck !!!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
marichiko

Darn it! She unzonked! It must have been the relief of getting away from all the sounds and smells at the vet ER clinic. Now she is whimpering at the bone again. Hopefully, the sleeping pill will kick in soon.

I could probably get the bone out if I have some way of rendering her completely unconscious, Zip, but I have no safe way of doing that.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I know its a small thing compared to a lot of other stuff people post about here, but I just needed to vent some of my frustration over not being able to help my small friend until tomorrow

I understand FULLY , If ANY thing happened to Oliver ( Our Boston ) it would be BAD !!!
Hell a stray came into our yard and beat up on him not long ago( he is ok , just shaken) , I wasn't here , Carol ( my wife ) ran the dog off .
I loaded and put a .357 mag at the front of the house just for this dog . And YES we will use it if we have to
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
FallenFairy
nope

Mari - update us on poor Starr as soon as you can! The poor thing....
It's so damn frustrating to have an animal in pain and no ready solution.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
marichiko

I'm getting ready to take her into the regular vet's now. They said they'd see her in 45 minutes! Keep your fingers crossed for her!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
marichiko

Had to leave her at vet. They're going to have to knock her out with general anaesthetic to get that bone removed. The last thing I needed was another expense, but I'll go without food rather than have one of my critters suffer. (sigh)
Old 04-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
FallenFairy
nope

Sorry to hear that it will cost even more - but I agree - poor baby couldn't suffer! I'll say a doggy prayer for her. When do you get her back?
Have you progressed on the move?
Old 04-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Hi Mari - it's always worse when it hits your own, but hopefully this will help to calm your worries - a circle of bone should be a cinch to remove after this object.

Vets and bills seem to go hand-in-hand unfortunately. You know you'll have to empty your purse/wallet as soon as you go through the door. We now have insurance on our pets - it has worked out to be cost effective so far as dog seems to pick up mites and such that get buried under his skin regularly and need treatment, while cat had a major op last year. Given their susceptibility to having some problem or other more often than I would have believed possible, now wouldn't be without pet insurance.

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 04-07-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #11
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
Hi Mari - it's always worse when it hits your own, but hopefully this will help to calm your worries - a circle of bone should be a cinch to remove after this object
Lord! Its amazing the troubles dogs get themselves into. All I can say is no more marrow bones for Starr. The little rapscallion! First fake dynamite sticks and now this! She's certainly living up to her outlaw's name!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Mari, hope she comes out OK. Sounds very traumatic for both of you!

Cycle, what kind of pet health insurance do you have? Has it been worthwhile?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #13
marichiko

I am pleased to report that Ms. Belle Starr is now back home sans her ring of bone and is resting comfortably. She is a bit subdued from the anaesthetic and the fact that they went ahead and gave her rabies and parvo shots since she was in there, anyhow, but I see a bit ot that old outlaw sparkle already coming back in her eyes!

I give the emergency vet place an F in consumer satisfaction and my regular vet an A+. Last night at the emergency place, we waited more than two hours, listening to the whines and screams of animals in pain, and Starr never got any help. If she had, they would have charged $300.00 Today, the vet took Starr in instantly, sedated her, removed the bone, gave her shots, and I was down picking her up LESS than two hours later - cost $120.00. Still a hit for a person of my slender means who is in the midst of a major move, but much better than a $300 bill!

I've seen ads for pet insurance and always wondered if it was worth it myself. Anyone here in The US have experience with it?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

yay!

I've never heard of pet insurance though......

and good luck on your move too.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

wow, mari. I just read this thread and I am sooo happy the pup is okay now. It sucks when animals are in distress.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote