The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

Quiting

have you ever noticed how "addicted" sounds like "a dickhead"?

im finding it really hard to give up smoking. i only have 1 or two on average per day. even more if im drinking. but at the same time im fit and healthy. i can still run long distances without getting puffed. so i keep thinking that i can still smoke and be healthy at the same time.

for other smokers that want to quit, what tricks does your mind play on you to keep you suckin down the cancer sticks?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
rkzenrage

I quit cigarettes some time ago... it was not easy but can be done. Drink lots of water is #1 and there are a lot of mental things you go through.
Feel free to PM me if you like.
Oh, #2 is don't freak out if you slip/up and feel like you are starting-over again... it is the worst state you can put yourself in for a back-slide, it is not "I can never have another smoke again, ever, ever, ever" it is "I'm not going to smoke today" and when it gets really bad "I bet I can make it for another half-an hour, or for another three hours, or until dinner". Worked for me.
Another thing I did at home, was to keep 45lb dumbbells handy and when I was craving so bad I almost caved I did curls until I could not lift my arms, and if that did not do it, then I moved to crunches... after a while Pavlov kicks in and you will suddenly say "Oh shit, I DO NOT want one THAT BAD at ALL!" Plus, you get ripped. Though now with my illness, I would not have been able to do this... but it sure helped back then.
I had a very tough time during the third month, well after the nicotine was out of my system, the habitual addition is far worse than the physical. The nicotine will be out of your system in a matter of days.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #3
Kagen4o4

cheers mate
Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
rkzenrage

Anytime, good on ya' for quitting, it was not fun, but a great time after. Smelling, tasting, and not smelling like it all the time.
Oddly, pipes and cigars are now a hobby, but I only smoke one a couple of times a week and do not inhale. Very different experience... you could not pay me to smoke a cig again. I know what goes into those things, formaldehyde, bleach, added chemical nicotine and (worst of all for many reasons) ammonia. The ammonia is why you get so much nicotine, that and the added.
I can smoke a huge Churchill cigar, with as much tobacco as a whole pack of cigarettes and not get a buzz, but one cig would floor me.
That ammonia, breaks down the cell walls and allows for full nicotine absorption. Plus, they taste nasty.
Nope, never again... can't stand the things... I sure hope you make it!
I am rooting for you and am here for you all the way!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
Kagen4o4

well ive been quitting for 2 years. ive been on patches a few times. longest i went without a cigarette was 3 months.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagen4o4
have you ever noticed how "addicted" sounds like "a dickhead"?

for other smokers that want to quit, what tricks does your mind play on you to keep you suckin down the cancer sticks?

Well I don't smoke but I do see 'quilting' everytime I see the thread header though. I think it is lack of thryoid hormone. There's more than one way to kill a brain cell.

I'll be ok
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

@ kagen, the best way to do it is in stages. Wean your cigarette intake amount by days, then weeks until you are smoking only two a week. If you have to light up smoke only a half, then a forth and so on.

It works. I promise. It's the nicotine your body wants starve it until it goes away?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Kagen4o4

but its also because i look so cool with a ciggie

Old 05-04-2006, 04:08 AM   #9
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I need more photographic evidense please, preferably with your shirt off
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
Kagen4o4

this is me at a party

he will be mine, oh yes, he will be mine
Old 05-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
Munchkin
Colloquialist

I go back and forth. For me the longest success what when I used these really nasty nicotein free cigs for a week or so to get the physical addiction out of my system...

Quitting is so damn hard. Right now Im trying behavior modification ... have a rubberband on my wrist and I snap it anytime I want a smoke
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Gum wrapper chain, just like in 28 Days. No, not the movie with the zombies, the one about rehab with Sandra Bullock.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
but its also because i look so cool with a ciggie

That may be, but when I kiss you long and deep and hard on the mouth, I don't want to be tasting cigarettes, OK? Ok.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #14
Kagen4o4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
That may be, but when I kiss you long and deep and hard on the mouth, I don't want to be tasting cigarettes, OK? Ok.

now THATS a reason to quit
Old 05-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
i only have 1 or two on average per day. even more if im drinking. but at the same time im fit and healthy.
I just can't stop reading this.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote