The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-11-2002, 02:34 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

A quick poll: Music on the Radio

This is a quick & dirty poll, tho I did not format it as a poll because I didn't feel like thinking of all the possible answers, and I knew there would still be leftovers, and some people might have more than one choice.

Please list what music format or formats (up to 2) that you listen to often on the radio.

Note that I have left the definition of the qualifier "often" to you. Also, I am only looking for music here. If you primarily listen to news/talk, list whatever your most often listened-to music format is. If you ONLY listen to news/talk, just sit tight, your turn is coming

[The purpose of this poll is to provide fodder for a screed, errr, essay, I am writing about certain interests I have in radio station formats. Of course, I'll post a link here when I finish it, and no, I won't use your name.]
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 03:08 PM   #2
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

classic rock.
new hard rock.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

Classic rock
Celtic
Old 02-11-2002, 09:19 PM   #4
jaguar
whig

new rock
tecno
Old 02-11-2002, 10:04 PM   #5
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

i don't listen to
the radio

i'm really sick of the music that is being played on the radio around here. we get a plethora of stations, and unfortunately most of them play spanish speaking people or singers (this is unfortunate for me because i don't enjoy the music and i need to brush up on my spanish skills before i can begin to understand what they're saying). the rest of them play shit like sum 41 and no doubt. i don't know WHY, in the past 2 years, music has gone horribly wrong, but i don't enjoy listening to the same whiny-voiced singers, layered with terrible guitar riffs, over and over again.

there is one station i can stand listening to. reason being, every time i turn it on in the car, tool is on. it's variety tool, too. i've only heard the same song twice, and those instances were a month apart. of course this isn't to say they didn't play that song ten thousand times while i had the radio off.

if i could actually get decent stations here, i'd pick these two genres/formats.

oldies
80's music
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 02:34 AM   #6
dave

My iPod is now loaded up with 80's goodness. I sang "Living on a Prayer" all the way home from Denny's tonight. Jenni was, as you can imagine, thrilled.

I'd go with 80's music and a station that just played Guns N' Roses All Day Long. That would rule.

Normally I'd pick hard-rock kinda stuff (DC 101, WHFS, 98 Rock), but there is some <b>awful</b> shit coming out today and it makes it so it's not even worth listening to. But yeah. 80's and Hard Rock, when I can stand it.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:05 AM   #7
juju
no one of consequence

The radio <i>sucks</i>. They play the same 10 songs over and over and over. When in my car or on the go, I listen to my mp3 player. :]
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 07:09 AM   #8
dave

Well yes. Now that I have an iPod, we are never without music. Before that though, when all of Jenni's CDs were inside and mine were whereever they were, we listened to the radio quite a bit.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:40 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

modern rock

mostly listen to cds though since bluegrass/ celtic/ blues etc... don't get air time. add pro-pirate radio rant here
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 01:00 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

I listen to radio with coffee in the morning and in my old car which has no modern musical gear installed. We have very eclectic public radio/college radio offerings here. I hate commercials. Here are my button settings:

We have a good nonprofit station that plays jazz, mixed with some classic/obscure soul and R&B, "alternative/ college" rock (whatever that is) and latin stuff too. And they have a Saturday morning bluegrass show I generally catch.

I wake up to a MPR morning show that's a very surprising and eclectic mix- jazz, folk, rock, classical, humor/novelty (a la Tom Lehrer), world music- you never know. The playlist is often organized thematically- songs about doorways, or shipwrecks, or Mexico, or being late, or whatever. The DJs are smart, witty, and know when to shut up and play tunes. After 9:00 they switch to straight classical.

Everynow and then I get in the mood for AM. There is an old folks station that plays big band and crooners like Sinatra- but only in small doses. It would make me sad if the format changed or should I say, when the format changes.

And there is an AM Spanish language station, playing mostly Mexican and Tejano that can get you thinking warm thoughts as you plow through the snow.

Oops sorry. more than 2.

Last edited by warch; 02-12-2002 at 01:04 PM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 01:32 PM   #11
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Apart from the Saturday night blues show on XPN, do we still _have_ radio in Philadelphia?
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 01:58 PM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

haha.. good question.. now for the second part....

Do you listen to news, or talk shows that deal primarily with news or current events or political/social issues, on the radio? at all?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 02:13 PM   #13
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

>Do you listen to news, or talk shows that deal primarily with >news or current events or political/social issues, on the radio? >at all?

well i doubt if "car talk" falls under current events, so its

p/s issues
Old 02-12-2002, 02:14 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I only listen to 610 am, all sports talk. Once every few months I switch to the other all-talk station in town, to hear five minutes of Limbaugh or Dr Laura or Art Bell, just to make sure that the loonies are all still at it and I'm not missing anything by ignoring them.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 02:20 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

Not regularly, but will occasionally catch All Things Considered, Pacifica News or BBC news on public stations.

I will occasionally listen to baseball, hockey or other sports when on the road.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote