The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 02-22-2002, 04:59 PM   #1
Nic Name
retired

Community Standards

Some online communities have detailed Community Standards like these:

Quote:
Basic Guidelines:

The following six categories of online conduct are unacceptable at FanHome.com and constitute a violation of our Community Standards which may result in warning, suspension or loss of membership:

Harrassment… Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time. Even though we realize that sports discussions can get intense, we have zero tolerance for taking an argument about a sports topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. Harassment not only includes individuals but also can apply to insults against others teams, players and groups of FanHome members. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forums team and/or forum members can also constitute harassment.

Disruption…Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news. Disruption can include harassment, multiple posting of the same post and posting completely off topic messages.

Vulgarity and Sexual Explicitness…As a community with a diverse variety of members and readers, we ask that our members to post without using vulgarity. Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious and homophobic language which may offend other members. In addition, the "masking" of vulgarity by inserting * or another keystroke in place of one or more letters in a vulgar term is unacceptable in most cases. We realize that there's a "grey area" of judgement with vulgarity but we ask that you'll respect others by avoiding vulgarity.

Solicitation… Refrain from using FanHome’s forums or chat to advertise your site, items for sale, commercial services or website. You may attach a short link to your site within your profile or signature but if you would like more promotion, we have a great Affiliate network called FanHome.net that already includes hundreds of sports sites like yours. Click here or follow the link to FanHome.net from our frontpage for more information.

Spamming…Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums.

Copyrighted Material…You may post links to appropriate articles but posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Community Standards. Use your best judgement, since you agree in the Terms of Use to be held legally responsible for your own posts on this system, but if you must repost quotes or sentences, please credit the source.

Please bear in mind that these are only guidelines; there is always a "grey area" and we understand that. Use your best judgment.
In the Cellar:

Quote:
There are only three rules to follow here:

Don't use the system to break the law.
Don't try to break the system.
Don't be 'intolerably irritating'.

(And spamming of any kind is intolerable... got that?)

Agree with that?
The thing is, most intolerably irritating people immunize themselves and are often the most intolerant of others.

It is human nature that people judge others by their behavior and judge themselves by their intentions.

I'm sure some folks don't intend to be intolerably irritating, and don't know that they are regarded as such by the community.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 05:34 PM   #2
dave

Re: Community Standards

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
I'm sure some folks don't intend to be intolerably irritating, and don't know that they are regarded as such by the community.
Yes. I've always wondered why you were so oblivious to that.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
Xugumad
Punisher of Good Deeds

Re: Re: Community Standards

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

Yes. I've always wondered why you were so oblivious to that.
I assume that was meant to be humorous. :-)

On a serious note though, how about adding the following:

"Don't post notes that ignore the discussion's topic, and only serve to offend the previous posters. Specifically, try not to post anything that's just an insult, with no recognizable content apart from an ad hominem attack."

Of course, that's all subject to personal interpretation, but it might discourage pointless flaming? Not that I'm adverse to a good flame, mind you - a well-placed insult shielded by solid argumentation can be pricelessly funny.

X.
Xugumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 08:26 PM   #4
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

How about a daily limit on the number of posts a member may submit? Say... mmmm... five? This would help reinforce the idea that this is a forum, not a damn chat room, cut down on annoying MLP, and promote the notion there is a difference between quantity and quality.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:49 PM   #5
dave

It would also irritate a number of members and keep some good discussion from happening.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:05 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It doesn't really matter what's in the registration dialogue, though... people won't remember it, and people won't abide by it anyway.

The community's own attitude determines what anyone finds acceptable or unacceptable. I've seen a ton of these kinds of forums populated by, well, morons, and some of them even had the tight regulations IIRC. People take their cues from everyone else. Usually.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 09:21 AM   #7
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

There was at one time an effective posting limit imposed by a limitation on connect time, and I do think that it shaped the discourse; I think things here are quite different now. But that limitation was created to encourage fair use of a shared resource, not to encourage parsimony.

Every time I've ever heard the term "community standards", it's been connected with political logrolling and a powergrab by those in a position to set down what the "community standards" were going to be.

Whenever a person or group claims to speak for "the community", be on guard.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
originally posted by dhamsaic
It would also irritate a number of members and keep some good discussion from happening.
I doubt it.

The only the ones who would be irritated would be the ones who don't understand the difference between quantity and quality. (And fuck them anyway.)

Five posts a day would be more than enough for the average user. Nobody has that much (interesting) to say. Any Dwellar who can't get it done in five posts or fewer should spend more time in meatspace and less in front of his computer.

(I'd be willing to discuss raising the limit for Dwellars who called in sick for the day, or are temporarily unemployed, but that'd be about it.)
Old 02-23-2002, 08:02 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

Who is goingot enforce this? UT? Lets not waste his time. Mods? God i hope not.
How about a democratic system - vote people off as such, survivor on cellar..... (joke)
Old 02-24-2002, 01:34 AM   #10
dave

Hey! That's a great idea jag.

We could have a TV show - "Survivor: Cellar Edition". There could be cameras in our computer rooms, watching us type replies, eat pizza and, in general, be pathetic. Then, every however long, we would vote someone off and the show would continue. The ratings would be HUGE! We'd all be millionaires!
Old 02-24-2002, 11:57 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Maybe a little history.

The mid-80s. Back in the day there was KAOS, a GBBS Apple ][ system with a 2400 baud modem.

It was as rudimentary a setup as you would find anywhere. You'd call into this thing, validate, and you'd have four areas to post in. While you were dialed into this system, nobody else could get in, you see - the modem was busy, and it was a single-user system.

This little community attracted a ton of people, albeit with that limitation. You'd get in, read, post, and get out so the next person could do the same.

Now, this was before the introduction of ANY of the Internet society. But the group was remarkably similar to everything you see today, in terms of the personality types that would show up.

Then an interesting thing happened: the sysop moved out of the house where the system lived. So suddenly there was nobody in charge.

Now the community had to aggressively self-police, because while this rudimentary software had some means to detect whether someone was abusing it, it couldn't tell if someone was being intolerably irritating. And there was no sysop around to manually remove the offending users.

The result was that the community developed tactics to deal with disruptive people.

Then as now, the most common irritating personality was the attention-seeking troll. Without the reward of a hundred other communities to disrupt, trolls could be more devastating to KAOS. The group came up with PISS - the "passive ignorance silence strike" I believe it was. Invoked on such a personality, it was deadly: everyone merely agreed not to respond to ANY of that person's posts, in ANY way. Once the attention of the group was gone, the troll had no reason to post. It was remarkable how well and how quickly it worked. It was as if the trolls said "that's it, they're onto me" and within a few days they would leave.

Now, having said all that, I have to say that I am NOT running this as a sociology experiment!! I just enjoy thinking about how the sociology works, that's all.

Anyway, it occurred to me that, oddly enough, for a strong community, and for a certain kind of community, the best sysop was in fact no sysop. Not a sociology experiment, but an anarchy experiment.

While we all want to play with the rules to see what would result, the funny thing is that you can probably get the result you want in other, simpler ways. Since the community takes its direction from itself, the easiest way to sway the community in your direction is to post, and moreover to start threads. If you think someone is being a dick, ask them publically to not be. Even start your own section and ask them publically not to read it. The judgement of the community is more powerful than any rule we could come up with.

And to go a step further, our best bet - always! - is to learn to get along, rather than to restrict everyone, or to kick offenders out.

If you feel that rules are what makes a place what it should be, how do you know that the rules won't eventually work against you? (My own personal qualifier in deciding whether to participate in a community is this: if I will ever be censored in any way, I won't post. Why waste my time?)

Well, I'm babbling, and I'll stop now.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:46 PM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

I'll weigh in here. Thanks Tony.
I'm not an experienced tech person. I have no history with this form of communication before last Oct. But I enjoy checking out the cellar and commenting. If there were rules, moderation and crap, I wouldn't hang around to be dismembered. Its casual here.
This open, free and imperfect forum works well enough. Folks can question, chat, preach, ignore, joke, argue - The governance discussed would bring far more problems than it would solve, hindering participation and squelching opportunity for insight from underestimated, unlikely and diverse dwellars. Ya'll should just let it do.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote