The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 11:04 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The "x" on the stone means "executed".
Old 03-07-2001, 05:23 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: 3/7: TX death row part 2

Although off topic: I hate how we use paint. Had they left those gravestones in a natural state, would they all now need maintenance - followed by a remarking of all stones? There is a beauty in natural materials (not including dead bodies) - why cover it up?
Old 03-07-2001, 11:45 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'd be curious to see how the rate of executions has grown against the growth of the US population.

And it would seem that the US is growing faster these days. From what I've heard of the new Census info, it would seem that the US has grown by 6-10 million, which puts us at about 4% increase since 1990. A rather large growth.
Old 03-08-2001, 06:48 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

"why cover it up?" I generally prefer natural surfaces as well. That cross is probably made from low quality stone that doesn't weather well.

Adam mentioned something about the shape of the table in the other thread. This state supplied stone is a little more direct, numbered in place of a name, shaped in the execution style of our Roman precurser, fairly mocking the Christian idea of redemption. Nice find Tony, much to chew on...
Old 03-08-2001, 08:23 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: 3/7: TX death row part 2

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I'd be curious to see how the rate of executions has grown against the growth of the US population.
Little appreciated is that state execution is limited to the more barbaric countries. For example, in Europe, Ukraine is denied application to the EU or other European organizations because they still have executions. Euthanasia is acceptable but state sponsored executions are not in Europe. Ukraine is in process of modifying their laws.

I would also like to see the rate of execuitions vs. the quality of legal representation. PBS made it obvious that TX has some of the poorest legal representation among death roll internees. IL stopped all executions because the Republican governor discovered that most executions were probably based upon trials conducted in violation of US legal procedures - if not just flawed. Of course I am asking for facts that we will never see - too contraversal.

As PBS noted, even if there was enough reason for a convict to have a DNA test, that test was denied by a TX system that does everything to keep its mistakes covered - even if that means execution. TX prosecutors who had reason to conduct DNA tests after a trial at someone elses expense simply refused to act - and said so to PBS Frontline.
Old 03-08-2001, 10:02 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Re: 3/7: TX death row part 2

[quote]Originally posted by tw

Little appreciated is that state execution is limited to the more barbaric countries. For example, in Europe, Ukraine is denied application to the EU or other European organizations because they still have executions. Euthanasia is acceptable but state sponsored executions are not in Europe. Ukraine is in process of modifying their laws.

I agree with that. Another interesting point--if you look at the number of handgun deaths each year by country, the number that happen here in the US is simply ridiculous. In countries like France, the UK, and Canada, the numbers are under 100 per year. I don't recall the number that happen here in the US, but I believe it is somewhere between 60,000 and 80,000. Does the rest of the world know something we don't?

I would also like to see the rate of execuitions vs. the quality of legal representation. PBS made it obvious that TX has some of the poorest legal representation among death roll internees. IL stopped all executions because the Republican governor discovered that most executions were probably based upon trials conducted in violation of US legal procedures - if not just flawed. Of course I am asking for facts that we will never see - too contraversal.

Also a good point. I don't completely fault the lawyers though. With a caseload of possibly hundreds, how can you truly defend a death penalty case? Not to mention, how can you properly represent your client?
Closed Thread