The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Phase
Resident Denizen

(book) A Child Called "It"

http://www.amazon.com/Child-Called-C.../dp/1558743669

This book holds some of the worst words I've ever read. It's about a boy who grew up with other siblings, except he was singled out and tortured by his mother. Things such as stove burnings and tedious games. In the beginning the family was great, doing normal family things, but something drastically changed, and it nearly cost the boy his life.

This is a true story, by the way. The author is the "boy" in the story.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Yeah, it was a crazy and sad book. Made me very thankful for the life i've had...wasn't there another one, a follow-up or something? I'm thinking yes?
Old 10-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Phase
Resident Denizen

Yeah, but I haven't read that one yet. I believe it was "The Lost Boy"
Old 10-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think he wrote 3 in total. I also understood it had been pretty much debunked - there were a number of inconsistencies I picked up when reading it, and more came up over the years from people who knew him as a child.

I will admit I wasn't moved by it. I didn't enjoy Angela's Ashes either. Not that I'm particularly hard-hearted, just these kind of books don't do it for me. I found it poorly written, simplistic and maudlin. Hmmm, perhaps I am hard-hearted. But if someone is going to lie to get my sympathy I'd prefer a better standard of writing.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

When I first saw this thread title, I assumed that this was a children's book written in the vein of "Heather has two Mommies", to teach children tolerance toward hermaphrodites.

"The little child wasn't quite a boy, and wasn't quite a girl. The little child was an it! But, that's ok - not every little child is a he or a she. Some are both!"

Complete with illustrations.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

There were three books. "A Child Called It" from when he was a child till 12, "The Lost Boy" from 12-18 years old, and "A Man Named Dave" for all his years after he turned 18. They were all really sad, "A Man Named Dave" being the saddest of all because it shows how he handled all of the torture. I thought it was all true though, so that would make a difference. I read them in high school so maybe I couldn't pick up on inconsistencies. Good books though.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One child in a family does not get singled out as a scapegoat as far as a consistent, lifelong pattern of abuse is concerned. If one is abused they are all abused.

The other side of things, of course, is that if one child claims abuse as an adult and makes a mint on a series of books, the other children in the family are not believed when they say nothing happened, and are told that they are "in denial" or "repressing."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
One child in a family does not get singled out as a scapegoat as far as a consistent, lifelong pattern of abuse is concerned. If one is abused they are all abused.
That's odd, because I know a guy who claims just the opposite happened to him. Does that take into account the read-headed stepchild?

When I first heard the story from my friend, I thought it a little odd that an abuser would single someone out and not just be an "all around" abusive type. So, should I doubt the veracity of his story?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I can attest that it definitely does happen if the singled-out child is a stepchild among biological children.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #10
jinx
Come on, cat.

I read it. Didn't know it wasn't true, although I remember wondering how he could have possibly survived several events when I was reading it (the "gas chamber" episodes come to mind. I also wondered why the person who gave it to me suggested it was "good". Made up/embellished or not, it's not good.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Some people thrive on the misery of others. (I profit from it, but I don't thrive on it.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Some people thrive on the misery of others. (I profit from it, but I don't thrive on it.)
You need a raise, then.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
Buddug

Well I am going to snuff out all this Irish crap . They whinge on and on ; and we get really sick of it . Leprechauns and St Patricks Day my arse .
Old 10-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I could never read it. It would be so disturbing.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #15
Buddug

Don't be silly skysidhe . Of course you can read it ! I know that you are still a bit wobbly in English , but think of me behind you , egging you on !