The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-22-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Parallel Musical Universe

Okay, I admit it, I have no idea what they're talking about over on the other music thread. Occasionally someone will toss in the Cranberries, Tom Petty, or They Might be Giants but mostly when someone mentions one of my old bands its in an historical context so to quote my old US History 2 Prof "I'm taking you guys up to WW2, cuz after that it ain't history its life." So in the spirit of that, I give you the Parallel Musical Universe.

At this moment I'm listening to Acoustic Hot Tuna- Live in Japan
Its a really fine jam album that starts out with the Hesitation Blues and keeps rolling from there.

On the Bluegrass front I downloaded Muleskinner (A David Grismann project taped for PBS) off the emusic web site last week. Really good cover of Orange Blossum Special very tight band.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:46 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

Hello.....who's there? I thought I was alone in here!? Well hey Griff. I can dig it.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 06:56 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Yah, I don't know if a second thread is a good idea or not. But, to me Linkon Park is in Chicago and used to be spelled differently. So what are the warchs listening to these days? We've been trying to expand our listening lately so I dug up some jazz guitar by Django Reinhardt, it just may catch and continues my trend of getting into the music of dead folks (at least I assume Djangos checked out),... always jumpin on the train a little late.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

Django has passed, but he can still swing! Who needs all 10 fingers?!

I'm quite fond of a swing trio out of Texas called Hot Club of Cowtown. They tour a lot-check it out at http://www.hotclubofcowtown.com/ and if they're headed nearby, its a road trip recommend. Fun will be had.

Rotating currently here is much greasy B3 organ jazz- Jimmy Smith, Bill Doggett and Jack McDuff under the hand of Mr. Warch. Its the Blue Note stuff that counters the academic arty jazz with bluesy, gospelly, honkey tonk stuff- the guitarists are Grant Green or Kenny Burrell.

What can ya tell me about bluegrass? any recommended listens? I like strings and harmonizing.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:23 PM   #5
Nic Name
retired

R 'n B

The R n B Boys are a hot band with free MP3s of some of the best covered songs on their site, if you're into it.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Bluegrass

The first band that comes right to mind are the Johnson Mountain Boys. My brother-in-law gave me a copy of their Live at the Birchmere album. They have the full package, fiddle, banjo, mandolin, guitar and harmonies. I'm gonna pick up more of their stuff at the next opportunity. They even thow in a little bluegrass gospel.

You'll never go wrong with the Del McCoury Band (which recently backed up Steve Earle) or Alison Krause and Union Station. I believe the mandolin picker from Union Station is Dan Tyminski who did the singing while George Clooneys character hides behind the mic emoting in O Brother Where Art Thou?
Old 03-27-2002, 05:04 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

Thanks, Alison Krause I've heard a bit. I'll check the others out.
Have you heard any Peter Ostrusko on mandolin? He played here at a benefit I was involved in and blew me away. He's done alot in the folky world I guess- but it was pretty bluegrass too. very cool.
I love a house full of music. Its important to get all get those kids dancin'.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:46 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

That Hot Club of Cowtown stuff was really cool! Very smooth trio there. I'll have to look for Peter Ostruski.

I was getting an absurdly long download estimate at the RnB Boys site, I'll have to try again when I'm not already downloading something (Los Mocosos -their hype says they are a fusion of ska salsa and punk).

Kraus has been getting a lot of love lately from the CandW crowd as folks get tired of the hats. Ricky Skaggs has a bunch of bluegrass out now, having escaped the evil clutches of his antibluegrass label he's set up his own shop and is making up for lost years under an inflexible pop country contract. As I'm typing this I'm listening to Bela Flecks Bluegrass Sessions. Bela is simply an awesome banjo picker who has done a ton of work in jazz, probably because bluegrass is too easy for him. I think I'm hearing Jerry Douglas' dobro in the background so in stream of conciousness writing I should mention Jerrys appearance on the Transatlantic Sessions album blending bluegrass with celtic along with too many other artists to mention. Oh no! Now I have to mention Dan Ar Bras a spectacular acoustic guitarist from Brittany who plays in the celtic style, the album I have of his has a wonderful cover of Sheebeg an Sheemore. enough! gotta go

Last edited by Griff; 03-30-2002 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:37 AM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

Bella Bela!
I've been hearing that name alot lately- connected with some great stuff on the radio. I love it when great players break across styles, its all good.
OK Griff, can I get a consultation?
There is a venue here that has lots of touring stuff. My plan is to pay closer attention and get out and see more.The place is really near my house and I have no excuse. Here's their site.http://www.thecedar.org/ If you have a minute, check out the calendar and tell me if you see anything I really ought to catch...I know the Lounge Lizards and Trout Fishing in America. Recognize any other names? Is there a best bet?
Old 04-01-2002, 05:53 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Michael Doucet

One of the players in Fiddlers Three is Michael Doucet from Beausoleil (sp?), the cajun band. He also appears on that Transatlantic Sessions album I mentioned before. Thats probably a can't miss. Their web site says Darol Anger was hooked up with David Grisman Quintet (saw them last summer with a different fiddler, simply awesome) yah gotta trust Grisman (Bela played with him as well), thats the show to see, of course you'll have to review it here.

Whats the story on Trout Fishing?
Old 04-03-2002, 10:37 AM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Whats the story on Trout Fishing?
I've heard a song or two, Its a duo that augments themselves as desired and much of their repertoire is geared for kids and families. Like the Lounge Lizards, fun novelty-type songs, good musicians. Content that young families can relate to-like a baby who hides truck keys and the frenzied hunt in the morning... I'm sure they have more serious stuff, but I've only heard the funny.

Thanks for the tips...I will let you know what goes down at the Fiddlers show.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:20 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Butch Baldisari. He plays about the cleanest bluegrass mandolin music you will ever here. His precision reminds you that these F-5s were original meant to be orchestral instruments. I'm three tunes into his tutorial and am quite impressed with his ability to explain technique. He actually teaches some of his best music. Very cool.

I'm downloading Mustang Sally off the RnB Boys site we'll see how that comes off. The Los Mocosos (bilingual stutter) music I downloaded the other day is really something else, I'd call it latin ska very fun stuff.

Whoops download complete... crisp band! Great vocals needs a human drummer, and a rougher guitar maybe a blues injection... but I'd go see 'em.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:23 PM   #13
Nic Name
retired

"Smoke from a Distant Fire" is my favorite of the RnB Boys' mp3s on the link above ... a must download imho.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:50 PM   #14
warch
lurkin old school

I miss Chet Atkins.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:05 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Yah, Chet was excellent. That was the music my parents filled our house with. Chet Atkins, Floyd Kramer, Johnnie Cash, etc...that sax player? Yakety Sax what was that guys name? Chet got some love from the next generation before he moved on, I think he did an album with Mark Knofler (Dire Straits) a few years ago.