The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Being "On Call "

I am a resadent tech for my company , meening that I work out of my house ( 2 hours from the shop one way ) , the guys that live closer in are on the On Call list ( untill today that is ) ,
I take care of our shops ( and I beleve the Corperations ) largest customer .
Friday evening I got a call from this customer saying they had a printer problem , ANY body at the shop can untwist a ribbon , in the past I have only had to go to this customer after hours if it was something complicated ( In-Motion Railroad scale , wireless network , AEI Tag reader , etc,,, ) and my boss backed me up .
F-Stick that was on call told me I was suposed to go , I reminded him that HE was on call not me , and that it was standerd off the shelf product , nothing weird ( he didn't LIKE this ) .
My boss called and asked if I wanted to go ( no I wanted to go home drink a few beers , eat some pizza and watch a movie , go to bed , try to get lucky , and get up and out the door at 6am for a prescheduled job ) , I said no not really , dude is on call , not me , dude is PAID extra to be on call , not me , this is standerd off the shelf stuff and it should be easy .
So dude whines at my boss that " its Not FAIR that I have to be on call and HE doesn't !!!"
Hell he is paid 4 hrs of OVERTIME for the week just to be on call , Weather he has to go any where or NOT .
I am NOT paid extra to be available 24/7/365 .
So I was informed that as of today I am on the on call list just like EVERYBODY else , my responce " Cool more over time , but What about the OTHER resedent tech ??" ( he lives as far away as I do but in the opisite direction from the shop ), my boss " I'll talk to him about it " ???
Now if eather of them had said that dude was tied up on another call I would have gone , but he said I was suposed to go ,
no not with THAT attatude , homie ain't going NO where !!!
SO if I am on call I will be available , if not , weell I will just do like EVERYBODY else and turn my phone off after hours !!

Am I out of line on this ??
Old 02-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Nope. They're outa line. The others were being paid to be available you were not!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Don't get me started.

Arthur Clarke once said that any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistnguishable from magic. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that any sufficiently competent technical support will be viewed as magic. You'll never be appreciated, or your time valued, as long as you're actully doing a good job.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
zippyt

You'll never be appreciated, or your time valued, as long as you're actully doing a good job.

Gee I guess that me haveing to go play Clean Up Man for this guy this comeing up thursday makes me an ass ???
Hell he's only been on this perticuler job for a week ,
the customer is calling complaining that he is a dumb ass , i get to go fix the prob , and make the customer happy " Be that as it may Sir , I am here to figuer this problem out , and fix it "
Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
rigcranop
Resident Denizen

Quote:
Am I out of line on this ??
Absolutely not. The "dude" whining and naming NAMES, he's a slug. You got caught in his slime trail. And caller id is a wonderful thing!
rigcranop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Flint
Snowflake

If you are on call, you are. If you are not, you are not. Your <expletive> co-worker fails to grasp this.

It isn't a small decision to make (or have imposed on you), you have to schedule your whole life around it. Your story sounds like "the sqeaky wheel gets the grease." It also sounds like you didn't have a solid arrangement. But, as you said, more money. I'm 24/7, and I (& my paycheck) know it.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Geez, guys like that ruin it for everybody. If he didn't want to be on call, he shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place!

Reminds me of the last place I worked. These whiners from another department, who didn't know how to manage their time, complained endlessly to the boss about how they had to be at work so many more hours than our department. So, the boss decided that we would have to take turns staying late, 'just in case' the other department needed help with something. What a bunch of babies.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
mmmmmpayback.the big payback.
I can dig rappin. I can dig scrappin.
but. I. can't. dig. that. back. stabbin.

revenge. I'm mad.

(check yer gmail.)
Old 02-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Gee I guess that me haveing to go play Clean Up Man for this guy this comeing up thursday makes me an ass ???
Um no....but it sure puts you in a position to make the guy look really, reeeaaalllly bad.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
zippyt

Um no....but it sure puts you in a position to make the guy look really, reeeaaalllly bad.

That would be WAY to obvious , I stand up for my self , act like an adult , and let these problems solve them self ,
Homie don't play that Kindergarden Shit !!

Thanks Foot that helps

Last edited by zippyt; 02-12-2007 at 10:34 PM.
zippyt is offline   Reply With Quote