The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Job possibilities

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a better job. This one, with all that is good about it, is increasingly pushing me towards the edge.

So, I'm looking for career recommendations from my buddies at the Cellar. Here are my wants and qualifications:

1) I NEVER want to work with the public again. I would thrive in a cave or an office way in the back somewhere. Stapler guy's basement office from Office Space comes to mind.

2)I'm great with computer software. I can extract data from databases, analyze, and research. My technical writing skills are impeccable.

3) I love paperwork, documentation, organization. I like meeting deadlines and having a few projects going at once (but not like now where it would take another person to catch up with what is on my plate.)

4) I hate telephones.

5) In saying I don't want to work with the public and I hate phones, I feel I must tell you that I'm really good at those things, I just hate them. I taught mil-spec soldering at two of my old jobs and hated it, yet was told I was a wonderful teacher.

6) I love writing. I'm good with crunching numbers and reconciling large amounts of money...but not so great at things like algebra. I read a lot.

7) I have a great appreciation for art, literature, and film.

8) People don't tend to run away screaming at the first sight of me.

9) I have a BA (psychology) with a few classes in Metrology (no, not the weather...measurements)

10) I love animals and kids

11) I would like to make decent money. I don't need a lot, just enough for a single girl to live comfortably (i.e. no creditors calling day and night, able to make normal living payments.) I believe the pay should reflect the job difficulty.

12) I'm no stranger to hard physical labor and usually end up reveling in getting paid to get exercise.

13) I want to be recognized for good work, unwavering ethics, and dedication, not for how much ass I can kiss.

So, there you have it. Can you think of any viable career options? Do you know of any jobs in any caves somewhere?

Old 03-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

While we are talking about this...what would you guys recommend for a summer job for a college freshman/sophomore?
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
While we are talking about this...what would you guys recommend for a summer job for a college freshman/sophomore?
Apply for internships, start a company, and don't be a lazy-ass bitch all summer.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Shawnee, what about something in educational support. Special Education folks are swimming in unwanted and necessary paperwork.

piercehawkeye, what's your major?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Since I can't answer Shawnee's question I'll answer yours. Get an internship or job related to the field you may end up going into, or work a fast paced job that shows you have a work ethic, like waiting tables. Both are good experience. If you work in a good restaurant, waiting tables can be lucrative.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

not-front-desk librarian-type person. In a big library (lots of exercise).
Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Sounds like you would be good at my job - windowless office, tons of research and paperwork, minimal contact with people, I only have to answer the phone once or twice a day (or if it is for me) - but I like my job.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur View Post
Sounds like you would be good at my job - windowless office, tons of research and paperwork, minimal contact with people, I only have to answer the phone once or twice a day (or if it is for me) - but I like my job.
Sounds like heaven...when do I start?

Monster's idea is a great one! In fact, our town is building a new library in an historic hotel that was almost set for demolition (though I would have chained myself to a pillar; it's an amazing piece of architecture.) Always loved libraries.

Melidasaur, I haven't looked at your profile so I may end up answering this question, but what is your job?

edit: you don't have a job...no wonder you love it!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Shawnee--what about an insurance company (NOT customer service or similar but in other capacity) or a company like LexisNexis? You could crunch numbers anywhere---no contact with public (I know the level of hatred I feel re: the public and I feel your pain)

I'll try to think of more but those two came to mind right away.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
Shawnee123

Thanks Bri. I do need to start looking at some of those bigger companies around here. One of our career advisors is going to help me put out a really sharp resume.

I hope to stay in the public sector for the bennies, but the right pay and circumstances could circumvent that want.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I am either going into electrical or civil engineering and I know someone that works for an electrical engineering company so I will look into that. Thanks.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post

So, there you have it. Can you think of any viable career options? Do you know of any jobs in any caves somewhere?

I applaud you in reaching for new opportunity. I too have been wanting a cave job but my writing skills arn't so good and I am sure someone would notice. :p

Ironic as it may seem,
I love to love people who need it and I got my ideas of what to carry my credits over into from this website. http://www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm

Teachers assistants don't make alot of money so I have decided to transfer my credits to a social service/human service major. That site helped me alot AND also go to your Employment department home page for job positings. I am sure you'll find something with the duties you require.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote