The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Somebody 'Splain Me ...

Okay, I just don't get this one ...

Why is it that there are guys who never went to college, in fact, never graduated high school, never played any sports in their brief, undistinguished high school career, never were scouted for a college team, and never experieced a heart-wrenching knee injury in the last big game of their senior year and never were able to live their dream as a college and later professional athlete, none of that stuff on the table here ... why does this anthropoid display an undying devotion to a college football team, festooning his home with banners, pillows, front door mats, wearing hats, jerseys and jackets with the name of the team and it's quite recognizable logo, including having a tattoo commemorating his devotion? To top it off, is not Catholic and has never lived in Indiana.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Since he sounds like he had no edumactional groups to identify himself with as a kid, he has as an adult, found a sense of belonging by becoming a fan of team "X". The overcompensation may be a way of self-reassuring himself that, though he wasn't a distinguished sports player himself, he'll be be the best damn fan there is...

Or something.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
glatt

As a non sports fan type, I got nuthin.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Or something.
Was over at Shine's yesterday for burgers on grill, some work on grist mill. Shut down for NASCAR.
I prefer watching paint dry. Who gives a flying flap, unless you bet money.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

What LabRat said. In other words, he's a LOSER! I'll bet he's not even Irish, is he?

He just wants to be in a Grand Faloon.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I don't know, but I'm sure it has something to do with how people who were born and raised in Philadelphia and lived their whole life here can root for the Dallas Cowboys.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I can't believe you don't know this: it's a Classic case of
Compensation.

Or, not.

You have to believe in Freud for any of this to work.

I don't believe in Freud (tho minions have argued his case before me)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Duh...he's Irish.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
rkzenrage

Spend time in FL... football is like a religion here. It is an illness.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
I don't know, but I'm sure it has something to do with how people who were born and raised in Philadelphia and lived their whole life here can root for the Dallas Cowboys.
Which team you root for doesn't necessarily relate to where you're from. I root for the Dallas Mavericks (NBA) because my college basketball hero (from the college I actually went to) plays for them, and the Indianapolis Colts (NFL) because I like the way they play the game and I have a crush on Peyton Manning. Of course, I always root for the home team when they're playing, but I'm from DC -- all my home teams suck. :p

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I am not by any means a fan to the extent that the guy in the OP is -- I own two pieces of sports memorabilia: a child-size Nationals jersey and a Colts tank top that a friend screen-printed for me. My bf is an obsessive sports fan, but more obsessed about the games themselves than about his teams in particular.

Last edited by Hime; 05-08-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
Who else would they root for?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
jester
why so serious

even though most of my family members did not play "school sports" football was & still is huge - I grew up with brothers - so I just carried over into my household - I have sons - alas no other girls in this home. Big fans of the UT Vols & Colts. It's the thrill of the game - heart pounding especially when down to the last seconds.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #13
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
even though most of my family members did not play "school sports" football was & still is huge - I grew up with brothers - so I just carried over into my household - I have sons - alas no other girls in this home. Big fans of the UT Vols & Colts. It's the thrill of the game - heart pounding especially when down to the last seconds.
<3 the Vols. My fiance went to UT, and I took a class there. Man, I miss TN.

(note to non-fans: the reason Vols and Colts love go together is because the Colts quarterback was a big star on the Vols when he was in college, and still lives part-time in TN.)
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
rkzenrage

What is funny around here are people who will give you crap for being educated. I wear gear with my college logo on it. People will pick on me about it, then I will tell them I do not follow sport very much, just went to the school.
I get two reactions, often.
Confusion... this confuses me as well, perhaps some of you can help me there.
Disdain for being educated... this is often from someone who is festooned, head to toe, with college logos. Makes my head hurt.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bragging about education alludes to claiming superiority. Bragging about a sports passion alludes to class leveling, common ground, camaraderie.

That's my guess, but who knows what people are really thinking?