The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-03-2002, 03:21 PM   #1
perth
Strong Silent Type

Spider-Man

no spoilers here. just praise from a stupid slobbering fanboy.

sam raimi is a genius. i can't praise this film highly enough. fanboys are the hardest fans to please, and i am pleased. yeah, they got some stuff wrong, but even that they did right. the whole movie just comes together. you owe it to yourself to see this movie.

and j. k. simmons *is* j. jonah jameson. classic.

just my thoughts.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 04:00 PM   #2
dave

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, kirsten dunst.

yeah, not everything was perfect... but man, don't you just WANT to be spiderman now?

they BETTER make a fucking sequel. i know what needs to happen, but i NEED to see it happen. spiderman 2, christmas 2003. i hope
Old 05-03-2002, 04:13 PM   #3
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally posted by perth

and j. k. simmons *is* j. jonah jameson. classic.
Oh, dear....the nazi mad bomber and post-Olivet pshrink from L&O is in this flick? I guess we *have* to see it then.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 04:22 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

ive wanted to be spider-man since i was 6. damn, they just did a fine job.

sequel, yeah. and doc ock better be in it. or venom. but i prefer doc ock.

j. k. simmons was seriously great. that was maybe the best casting ive ever seen. it was kind of a small part, but he was perfect. i hate him in oz, but isnt that the point? hes an excellent actor.

im really trying hard here not to jump into talking about specific scenes, because i dont want to spoil it for anyone, but let me just say the following:

i was really displeased when i found out his webshooters would be organic. but the scene in which peter discovers he has them made it all worth it. like i said, even what they got wrong, they did right.

~james
Old 05-03-2002, 04:23 PM   #5
dave

His scenes seriously are classic. I love the hand motions when the woman outside the office is telling him to get on the phone. Ah, good stuff.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:43 PM   #6
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

My predictions for the sequel:

1) MJ (And dham is all too right. I mean, I'm a sucker for the redheads, but DAMN) does a 2+2 job and confronts Peter with his identity

2) Harry finds out the truth of his father, and uses stash of Green Goblin stuff to take revenge on Spider-Man (or, sudden thought, modify it to become the Hobgoblin. That would suck though. Ned Leeds is the Hobgoblin, now and forever!)

3) We introduce a new villain. If you listen reeeeal close, you hear Peter say how because he was late, Dr. Connors fired him from his job. Enter: The Lizard.

Further, reading the credits here, I found that Eddie Brock was in the movie (probably in the background at the Bugle). So, we also have a drop-in for Venom.

But therein lies the problem: How will they bring in the symbiote? New concept, or (dare I hope?) they bring about the "Secret Wars" series where Peter originally got the alien. There are a lot of Marvel movies in the works as is, so it is a possibility.

~mike
Old 05-05-2002, 11:38 PM   #7
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
i was really displeased when i found out his webshooters would be organic. but the scene in which peter discovers he has them made it all worth it. like i said, even what they got wrong, they did right.
As el Director said, he figured it would be WAY too unbelievable if Peter suddenly develops some wonder adhesive that makes 3M look like a bunch of tools. Hence the organic webshooters. I honestly think it's better this way. I was a big fan of the comic too, but after seeing the movie, I think they did the right thing.

Actually, I just got back from seeing it the second time and.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Kirsten Dunst.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:16 AM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
As el Director said, he figured it would be WAY too unbelievable if Peter suddenly develops some wonder adhesive that makes 3M look like a bunch of tools. Hence the organic webshooters. I honestly think it's better this way. I was a big fan of the comic too, but after seeing the movie, I think they did the right thing.
oh, i agree. i kinda like how the ultimate spider-man series dealt with it, being an 'imperfect' invention of peter's late father. but for the movie, thats way too much back-story.

actually, i really think the ultimate spider-man series is great. you can pick up a compilation of the first 7 (i think its the first 7) comics in the series at amazon. the arts great, and theyve done a good job of 'modernizing' the story. the part where peter discovers he can climb walls is great.

i have *got* to go see this movie again.

~james
Old 05-06-2002, 06:01 PM   #9
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

re: SM2

Alright, here it is.

There are two rumors that I've heard about the sequel's villains. One is that Harry becomes the Hobgoblin, the other is that it will feature Doc Ock and The Lizard.

This gives me an idea: What if they do the Sinister Six? Octopus, Electro (ooh...imagine HIM with CGI), Mysterio. Sandman, Vulture, hmm...who to make the sixth? I believe the MacCorkendale incarnation of Hobgoblin was the last member before the mass-market novel came out. That would be pretty sweet, with the demony-aspect MacCorkendale's Goblin had.

And I'm off to rest up for Episode 2 (I refuse to call it by its other name...damn Lucas, making a potentially good movie sound like something out of the 50s...)

~mike
Old 05-06-2002, 06:47 PM   #10
perth
Strong Silent Type

sinister six might be cool. but for me, the batman franchise went downhill as soon as multiple villains began showing up in the movies. well, batman returns was okay, and michelle pfeiffer in the catwoman costume certainly helped that flick out. i think its just too hard to deal with so many deep characters in one movie. i would like to see electro. doc ock is easily at the top of my list. but i dont know about the hobgoblin. i could see a bunch of clueless hollywood execs saying no to him because hes 'too much like the green goblin'. we know better, but i doubt the people with the money do. maybe not. stan lee was an executive producer on this one, and im convinced that has a lot to do with how well the movie came out.

~james
Old 05-09-2002, 10:33 AM   #11
dave

so I saw it for a third time Tuesday night and.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Kirsten Dunst.

I'm sure everyone else is noticing the repetition of "Thank God for you, Peter" or "Thank God for you, Spider-Man" - but did anyone else catch any others? How many times is "Don't tell Harry?" said?

Obviously that's not just coincidence...

I didn't spot Stan Lee the first or second times (probably because I blinked), but he jumped out at me this time. He rescues a girl during the first appearance of the Green Goblin. Only on screen for a second. Literally.

I'll probably go see it again this weekend. Good good stuff. Can't wait for the sequel... or the DVD.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:51 AM   #12
dave

FOUR times!

I don't even need to say it... you know it. I know it. Kirsten Dunst.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.