The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

You know what really grinds my gears...

Walmart, and here's why:

Back in March I bought a 2GB Ipod Nano from Walmart. While I was paying for it, the cashier asked if I wanted to purchase the extra accidental damage warranty. Folks, I used to do tech support for Panasonic's laptop division and I also did warranty claims, so I know how important buying that accidental damage warranty can truly be, so of course I bought it. About a week ago, I broke the LCD on my Ipod (totally my fault). Thanking God I bought the additional warranty, I went to Walmart last night to either have it fixed, or replaced. After a short wait, the customer service rep informed me I had to call the number on the receipt to have it fixed. When I looked on the receipt, it appeared to be some 3rd party company called www.repairnow.com/walmart, that actually does the repairs for them (first sign of trouble). Today while at work I called the RepairNow, and a very pleasant woman told me my warranty does not begin until the manufacturer warranty ends, next March. then she starts giving me Apples number and tries rushing me off the phone. Now having the background in warranty claims has taught me that a companies standard warranty never covers physical damage. I asked the rep if this was the case and as if i had blown her cover wide open she lets out a pissed off sigh and then starts giving me short one word answers as if she's ready for me to explode on her ( i guess she's used to it). So basically I'm screwed, Walmart has stuck it in my ass dry without having the God damned common courtesy to give me a reach-around. My question is WHO THE **** WOULD BUY THIS GOD DAMNED WARRANTY, KNOWING THEY WOULD HAVE TO WAIT A FULL YEAR BEFORE IT BECOMES USEFUL?!?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
jester
why so serious

sorry that happened to you and not trying to piss in your cornflakes anymore - but i would'nt ever (sure you know this now) buy any electronic type thing from walmart - stuff like that should come from circuit city, best buy - even toys r us - they have much better warranties - we've used them for ipods (cirtcuit), xbox 360(toys r us) the xbox has been sent back twice & its been no problem as far as the warranty goes.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Wal-mart is the anti-christ.

Seriously, touting excellent public service is not the same as giving it. Walk around a Wally World looking confused, and see how many of the people wearing vests which are printed on the back with "how may I help you?" actually ask you if they can help you find something. The odds are not good.

Wal-mart does a great job of not delivering on their promises, because they don't have to. Most people end up just accepting this behavior as the way it is. I urge you to fight for the customer service you should be getting without so much as the blink of an eye.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

you know, i have an uncle who is well-off, and therefore has a laywer on his payroll. when i was younger i lived with him for a year when i was going to high school and once in a while he would find himself in the same situation as i am in right now. he is a very well spoken individual but no matter how well of a point he made in person, big companies would never do the right thing. but once he had his lawyer send the company a letter it was freakin amazing how fast they all of a sudden became ethical.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well shit, man. You've got a computer, you can surely fake a letterhead.

Pistol whipping a few greeters would get their attention, too.

Hey, I'm kidding....wait for the store manager.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yeah, threaten them with legal action and life should improve. For example, did they disclose the terms of the warranty to you at the time of purchase? Did the clerk even know what they were? Did they give you a simple english contract?

They should cover you.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Also, what about your home contents insurance policy? Is it covered under that maybe?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I came across this MSN article; CEOs think their customer service is grrrrreat! Shows you what a couple billion dollars will do to your perception.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I came across this MSN article; CEOs think their customer service is grrrrreat! Shows you what a couple billion dollars will do to your perception.
"...I am Jack's unstoppable rage..."