The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Naming twins

Social Security Online has a list of the top 100 pairs of names given to twins born in 2006.
The top ten;
1 Jacob, Joshua 67
2 Matthew, Michael 54
3 Daniel, David 52
4 Ella, Emma 38
5 Isaac, Isaiah 38
6 Madison, Morgan 36
7 Landon, Logan 35
8 Taylor, Tyler 35
9 Brandon, Bryan 34
10 Christian, Christopher 33
use the same first letter for both names. In the rest of the list the matching letter holds sway.

Why do they do this? Why make the kids use three initials to tag their stuff? If they do the same with the middle initials it makes it really tough.
I don't get it.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

My twins are named Frick and Frack.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
rkzenrage

I would not do any alliterative or rhyming names. My wife's family all have twins and all do it and I think its silly.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I knew a girl whose father named his whole family using similar names deliberately to make things more difficult for the authorities in terms of sorting out income tax, inheritance tax and in case of possible arrest.

So (and you understand I am substituting names now) the father was Andrew James Smith so his eldest son was also Andrew John Smith, his next son was James Andrew Smith and his daughter was Angela Jane Smith.

She told me with great pride one day when the subject of middle names came up. I'd never met anyone from that sort of family before and it floored me.

Back to twins - when I was working in Asda in the evenings I worked in the Baby section of the store, and had to help a woman with twins to find something. Of course I admired her twin sons and asked their names. The first was Red - unusual but pretty cool I thought. Then she told me the name of the other. Blue.

I am not joking and neither was she.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Now that's child abuse.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

How about Pete & Re-pete ??
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

m kids have twin stuffed bunny rabbits with those names. really.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

My mom did the alliterative naming thing - with all of us.

Kellie
Kevin
Keith

Which wasn't a bad thing, until she took it upon herself to mark all of our outside toys with our FIRST initials. It took a while for her to figure out why some kids weren't allowed to play with us until she explained it to their parents.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

how about walker & texas ranger
or better yet heywood & jabloumi
Old 05-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm sure we've all heard tell of the Hogg twins: Ima and Ura. It's an old grade school tale. But alas, Snopes says Ima Hogg was real, but not her rumored sister. Ima was the daughter of James STeven Hogg, Governor of Texas.

Then you have Crystal and Shanda Lear.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Why do they do this? Why make the kids use three initials to tag their stuff? If they do the same with the middle initials it makes it really tough.
I don't get it.

actually it makes life easier if the kids are different sizes -you can pass stuff on and it'll still have the right name (and yes, twins can be different sizes). If they're the same size, they probably either swap anyway or know which are theirs. When things are done in alphabetical order, they're likely to be close together if not next to one another, which can be very handy, especially as the majority of twins do like to be together when they are young.... there are numerous benefits to it.

Two of our kids have the same initial (they're not twins). We ended up just putting our last name on all clothes and belongings, as we figure then we have three chances of it getting back to the family.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #12
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

My twin brother and I are named Henry and Sarah, and my mom and her twin brother are named Nicholas and Deborah. No alliteration or anything cute like that. Our family is not into cute.

Funny story, though. One time I was talking to my very wealthy friend Mike, and he told some story about another rich family and their kids, all of whom had names starting with (I think) J. I said, "I think it's so funny how crazy rich people always give their kids names starting with the same letter."
He said, "Sarah, what's my brother's name?"
Me: "Matt..."
"And what's my sister's name?"
"... oh crap, it's Marilyn, isn't it?"
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Two of my three siblings have the same initials as I do.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My real name is proof that my parents did not love me--they only loved the other two: Kathleen and Melissa. I got stuck with the dud-est name on the face of the freakin' earth. Lends itself to many, many horrid nicknames.

Now. If I had twin girls I'd name them "Lolly" and "Pop"; if they were boys: "Mack" and "Truck"

No. Seriously--I like "Lilly" and "Dragon" for girls, though. "Rain" and "Clay" are good twin boy names. Tripletts would be even more fun to name---like "Arthur", "Pen", and "Dragon"...actually, "Dragon" works unisex. I like that in a name.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh Bri, your name isn't so bad. Honest.
When I turn up on your doorstep in the middle of the night and force you to take me in, I'll toast you so often with high quality vodka that you'll love the sound of it.

But I counsel you against choosing Dragon as a name for a child - male or female. Just ask monster. She called her son Thor and he is currently channelling that destructive god (her words not mine!)

You could call your female triplets Amy, Wine and House...? Then anyone who met the third triplet independently would just assume you were a Hugh Laurie fan.