The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Starsbucks Arbitrage

I'd not heard of this, before, but it seems ghetto lattes are quite an issue with the overpriced coffee chains.

Quote:
She and her boy toy came in the other day and both ordered a Venti and Grande ghetto-latte. We just happened to not have the half and half out at the condiment bar. When she ordered the drink, I then immediately said, "and ma'am what kind of dairy would you like?" She then said, "Oh I'll add it myself thank you." But I had to let her know we didn't have any out at the very moment. She asked for half and half of course.

Now my problem with that is... her 2 drinks cost $4.82 (entered as iced grande and venti americanos).

The EXACT drink she orders as we have it on our menu (with all the shots and milk she is actually getting) are called Iced Quad Venti Breve Latte and an Iced Triple Grande Breve Latte.

Venti (and Grande) Americanos come with 4 and 3 shots (respectively) of espresso and then water (and ice).

Lattes are 2 shots (and 2, respectively) espresso, milk and Ice.

Additional shots are $.55. Half and Half (breve) is also an additional charge.

The cost of those 2 drinks (as Lattes) is $10.24 or so!!!!
My first thought: Saaay, that's a good idea! I never thought of that.
My second thought: $10.24? Jesus, what a racket!

Last edited by Kitsune; 05-23-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Cloud

hmm. can't get too worked up about the pricing structure. All restaurants have their combinations of food which are priced differently, depending on how you order.

In terms of the cost of lattes, I call your attention to David Bach's "latte factor." That is, do you really know how much those drinks add up to? Are they in your budget? Why not bring coffee from home, and use that money to save for things you really want.

http://www.finishrich.com/free_resou...attefactor.php
Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Hagar
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Iced Quad Venti Breve Latte and an Iced Triple Grande Breve Latte
WTF? Stop the world. I'm gettin' off.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From the link comments;
Quote:
i'd ask the writer of the thought if s/he thinks people who don't use milk or sugar should get a discount?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
rkzenrage

I bring my own, Starbucks burns their shit.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have to admit I didn't really understand the original article.

But as someone who only occasionally drinks coffee, and drinks it black (or as a bizarre-flavoured-drink-treat I'm willing to pay silly prices for) I now feel aggrieved that I am charged the same as people who have cream/milk/sugar etc.

Although in the spirit of the original "scam":
When I worked for a large mobile phone retailer, we were in a 2000+ employees site on the Arsehole of Nowhere Industrial Estate, West London. They provided a beautiful canteen, but we resented the fact it charged Central London prices and we had no way of getting off site in our 15 and 30 minute breaks.

After careful costing we worked out that you could ask for bacon or sausage as an "additional breakfast item", two slices of toast (ie bread, because it was handed over to toast yourself) and a sachet of ketchup/ brown sauce for 50p less ($1) than a bacon/ sausage sandwich. Self assembly made us SO happy. Especially as the Eastern European staff - no disrespect - spoke very poor English and you'd often get back to your desk to find the sarnie they'd made for you was wrong.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I ended up buying a 1-cup pod coffeemaker and making my own in my office. I've saved at least $50 since Christmas compared to the convenience store coffee I usually get.

There's no chance at all I'd ever use the coffee machines provided, as the only "cream" provided is powdered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
When I worked for a large mobile phone retailer, we were in a 2000+ employees site on the Arsehole of Nowhere Industrial Estate, West London.
That's one thing I love about England.. y'all have such colorful (or should I say colourful) names for your towns.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Starbucks coffee tastes burned. Fairly nasty stuff if you ask me.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
I ended up buying a 1-cup pod coffeemaker and making my own in my office. I've saved at least $50 since Christmas compared to the convenience store coffee I usually get.
WHen I had my own desk, in my own office, I had one of those Black & Decker One-Cup-at-a-Time coffee makers. Used a #1 cone filter and regular coffee grounds. I loved that thing. Worked great.

I now share rotating desks with four other people on my shift, and three rotating shifts, plus an assortment of part-timers. I'm lucky to have my own coffee mug. Actually, I've caught people using my mug, which really skeeves me out. I don't care how well they wash it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I like the darker roast S-bux uses; medium and light roasts don't taste like much. I almost invariably order today's Bold, whatever it is.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
glatt

I think a wise employer will provide coffee free of charge to their staff. It's such a small cost and the benefits are a staff that doesn't have to stray far from their work to get the stimulant they need to do the work.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
WTF? Stop the world. I'm gettin' off.
:p I pour a cup of maxwell house, throw in some non-dairy creamer, a pack of sweet and low...I'm good.

I wouldn't know how to order in a Starbucks! Um...do you just have coffee?

Would you like a double naught double latte batte with a twist of creamoscious bannanos frippee bippee?

Um, no, just a cup of coffee?

I'm sorry, what are you talking about?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #13
lizzymahoney
Major Inhabitant

In floriduh there's a chain named Barney's. I've ordered just plain coffee there and the baristas do get a little confused. They know what it is, but seem to wonder why I would want it. I'm okay with some of the flavored coffees if they don't have plain.
lizzymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

floriduh...lol.

I love vanilla and all those flavors, but I've never been one for flavored coffee, except for the creamer and sweet and low. I'm like a coffee fence-sitter!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
Cloud

If you're interested in the history and economic impact of coffee, I highly recommend this book:

Uncommon Grounds