The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

View Poll Results: Should Marijuana be legalized for recreational use?
Yes. 27 79.41%
No. 2 5.88%
I'm not really sure. 3 8.82%
I don't care either way. 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

Legalization of Marijuana

Do you think Marijuana should be legalized in this country for recreational use?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
rkzenrage

All use.
Ignore the tobacco, alcohol, textile and pharmaceutical lobbies.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i've never met anyone that has taken the position that pot should NOT be legal. does not sound like government by the people, for the people to me.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
rkzenrage

Guess you have not been talking to the right cotton or lumber lobbyists then.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I think you must be hanging with a bad crowd jimbo.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Damn right it should be legal. What really, really pisses me off, is that bloody America, put pressure onto my bloody country and loads of others, to ensure that pot, and indeed all drugs, would be considered beyond the pale.

There is no reason, whatsoever, for pot to be illegal. End of story. I keep hearing this bullshit from the anti-pot brigade about how it causes psychosis in some vulnerable youngsters (majijuana makes you mad, remember?) and how the pot now is soooo much stronger than it once was, and these days it really is a dangerous drug. No. It's. Not.

Like any substance which affects one's state of mind, it has to be treated with a degree of respect. If you sit in your house and smoke twenty five joints a day of prime skunk, chances are you won't be mentally healthful as if you didn't. Okay. That's fine, advise people not to do that and then stay the fuck out of their lives!

Right now, the whole thing just fuels a worldwide smuggling and guns operation that keeps millions in misery and danger. Legalise all drugs. Operate responsible control over them, as a government. We control alcohol manufacture to avoid people going blind from moonshine...we could control heroin, or cocaine, to minimise the dangers of those drugs too.

Back before your lot persuaded my lot to slam dunk the whole drugs thing, there were people in this country happily combining mild drug addictions with ordinary life. Having a drug habit didn't mean you had to steal stereos, because the drugs were simple to get. The quality of the drugs was such that rarely did people end up with a bad dose. Those people who indulged generally held down jobs, and didn't end up losing their homes and self respect with quite the same ferocity that todays addicts do.

Legalise al drugs. Nobody should be able to say to any of us...it is illegal for you to swallow/inhale/inject that substance into your body.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:24 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But, but, but....
Quote:
"
Rev. Robert James Devine, Assassin of Youth: Marihuana 1943
. . . THE DOPE begins its DEADLY WORK of arousing SEXUAL PASSIONS . . . with no restraint as to COLOR or RACE!"

Federal Bureau of Narcotics Chief Harry J. Anslinger 1948
"MARIHUANA leads to PACIFISM and COMMUNIST BRAINWASHING!"

Newsweek August 14, 1937
"A California man DECAPITATED HIS BEST FRIEND while under the violent spell of the smoke!"

The Keynote Jan/Feb 1941
"Some of the so-called ‘jazz hounds’ who think that their talents show off best when ‘high’ should take a trip to Eloise Hospital and see the WRECKED HUMAN BEINGS there, GIBBERING IDIOTS . . . Now they CAN’T THINK AT ALL!"

The American Scholar (Phi Beta Kappa) Winter 1938/9
"Children of addicts are said to be inferior; in parts some of India, where hashish has long been used to excess, whole communities are IMBECILIC AND MORALLY DEGRADED!"

Earle Albert Rowell & Robert Rowell, On the Trail of Marihuana the Weed of Madness 1939
"Under [MARIHUANA’S] influence, PRISON INMATES FALL DESPERATELY IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER, just as they would with women outside prison walls!"

Harry J. Anslinger The American Magazine 1938
"If the hideous MONSTER FRANKENSTEIN came face to face with the MONSTER MARIHUANA, he would DROP DEAD OF FRIGHT!"

Harry J. Anslinger 1929
"REEFER makes DARKIES think they’re as good as white men."

The Christian Century June 29, 1938
"In some districts inhabited by Latin Americans, Filipinos, Spaniards and Negroes, HALF THE CRIMES are attributed to the marijuana craze!"

Scientific American May 1938
"Marijuana is ‘a more dangerous drug than heroin or cocaine . . . ’ The drug is adhering to its old word traditions of MURDER, ASSAULT, RAPE, PHYSICAL DEMORALIZATION, and MENTAL BREAKDOWN!"

Earle Albert Rowell & Robert Rowell, On the Trail of Marihuana the Weed of Madness 1939
"MARIHUANA is sometimes used as a means to WHITE SLAVERY . . . the sheriff raided the disreputable houses of the city and found the missing girls ‘working’ there . . . their stories revealed MARIHUANA as the bait and cause of their downfall!"

Col. Levi G. Nutt, head of the Narcotics Division of the US Treasury Dept, quoted in Hearst newspapers nationwide Dec 8 circa 1929
"I’d rather see MY CHILDREN up against a wall and see them SHOT DOWN BEFORE MY EYES than to know that any one of them was going to be A DRUG SLAVE!"

New York Times Sep. 16, 1934
"Users of marijuana become STIMULATED as they inhale the drug and are LIKELY TO DO ANYTHING. Most crimes of violence in this section, especially in country districts are laid to users of that drug."

Annie Laurie’s column, Hearst newspapers nationwide, date unknown
"Was it marijuana, the new Mexican drug, that nerved the murderous arm of Clara Phillips when she hammered out her victim’s life in Los Angeles? . . . THREE-FOURTHS OF THE CRIMES of violence in this country today are committed by DOPE SLAVES - that is a matter of cold record."
Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Harry J. Anslinger 1929
"REEFER makes DARKIES think they’re as good as white men."
My personal fave.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Legalize it.

For recreational use I am supportive of it being legalized but I'm not so active on it because it is very easy to get pot anyways and even though I don't use it to be rebellious, it is fun because of the creative places you go to smoke it so you don't' get caught. Legalizing it would most likely make it much cheaper which is good too.

For medicinal use I am very supportive of it being legalized for reasons like what rkzenrage is going through. No one should go through unnecessary pain due to bullshit politics.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Quote:
She was living in a single room with three other individuals. One of them was a male, and the other two, well the other two were females. God only knows what they were up to in there... and furthermore, Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that all four of them habitually smoked marijuana cigarettes... reefers.
Drugs are bad, mkay?

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Decriminalize. Tax the crap out of it. Everybody's happy. Well, I am anyway.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
i've never met anyone that has taken the position that pot should NOT be legal.
I believe what he meant was

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
i've never met anyone at a Grateful Dead concert that has taken the position that pot should NOT be legal.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #13
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

de-criminalized (sp?) wouldl be my preference as it wouldn't make it legal for phillip morris or other cigarette makers to make a huge profit on it . I'd rather see it in the hands of people who are responsible and rational enough to grow their own stash. gateway drug my ass.... coors light is 10x worse... and the culture that goes along with it.

the thing with the reference to greatfuldead and all that... pffth! if they could manage to grow anything other than greasepits under their arms I for one would be surprised..

as an old punk rocker I take offense to that... I am willing to take bets that mary-j will be decriminalized w/in 10 years. any takers? (once the pre-baby-boomers die off... think about it)
Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #14
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

ps. he he brucex0x0.. much love.

that's the weird thing about living in the south now.. there's still hardcore racism but.. it's weird.. it's such an undercurrent that it's not spoken about in mixed 'company' (in this case multi-racial) but.. once a person of 'colour' leaves the room... the shit starts flying.. my point has always been I don't care what you look like.. are you a decent person? and I have found that more of the 'white' people are really depthless shallow hatefull rat-bastards.. hell! the last place we lived the only neighbors that even talked to us (and we keep a fairly tidy house.. inside and out) was the "mixed-race" couple nextdoor.. and they were damn cool. all the other white folks in the neighborhood viewed us as "N*gger lovers" ..uh... no... they were nice folks... and on the other hand! the 'blackfolk' in the neighborhood thought of us an 'white people' (and yeah genetically we are..) other than the guys who I had worked with... I dunno the point to this.. sorry wrong thread.. but ya know what it boils down to is that if you spend a little recreational time with people.. be they of another race or your own. it lends alot to racial understanding and human understanding in general. ya sit there and smoke a joint with someone and have a beer with someone.. I swear you can have a conversation about almost anything in a relaxed manner.... anywhoo! have a nice day! love you all( in a platonic sense)!

Last edited by cowhead; 08-16-2007 at 03:44 PM.
cowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
rkzenrage

You can't blame the US for laws in your own nation, LOL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfalicious View Post
Drugs are bad, mkay?
No coffee for you huh?