The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 05-31-2002, 01:56 PM   #1
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Angry The Horror of Cascading Style Sheets

Brothers and Sisters-

For reasons I still don't fully understand, I find myself in the middle of revamping the website for my girlfriend's synagogue. Strange thing for a nice Episcopalian boy to be doing, I'll grant you, but hey... I'm all about embracing multiculturalism.

Anyway... I can munge HTML and JavaScript with the best of 'em, and I know enough about CSS to be dangerous. Unfortunately, that's not enough for today's exercise. Yes, I have Read The Friendly Manual, but to no avail. So now I come to seek the collective wisdom of the Cellar.

My question is this:

Is it possible to define a box, using the CSS-2 "border" elements, that will have a position other than the default left-edge justified?

Making the box is easy. Something like this:

border-right: 2px solid #6666FF;
border-left: 2px solid #6666FF;
border-top: 2px solid #6666FF;
border-bottom: 2px solid #6666FF;

but is it possible to control the box's horizontal postion? I know I could use absolute positioning, and I will, as a last resort. I was hoping there was some other, less icky solution.

Have any Dwellars ever tried this before? Or, from a safe distance, witnessed anybody else trying this? I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this subject.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote