The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Cloud

Continuing education

It's becoming more and more apparent that, as long as I want to stay a litigation paralegal, I need more computer knowledge--database and basic programming; more knowledge of photography and possibly graphic design and web design.

It's too hard to get the training I need during, at, or from work. Some yes, but I need to be systematic and take classes.

Educational expenses related to one's job should be tax dedictible, which I don't think they are--
Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Cloud

but someone pointed out you can get a tax credit . . . if the courses are for credit, which mine usually aren't.

Any suggestions for good online training?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
glatt

Do you work in a really small firm where you are expected to wear many hats?

I'm in favor of education in general, and don't wish to discourage you at all. But outside of the database stuff, I don't see a reason why you need any knowledge of those other areas to be a litigation paralegal.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Have you asked about tuition reimbursement from the firm? Sorry if this is obvious and you had already checked into it, but I know we see a lot of tuition reimbursements from companies if you can show it will be beneficial to them as well.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Cloud

yes, I work in a small firm. There's only me to do this litigation stuff. That's one of the things that frustrates me. Years ago we bought a really nice litigation program, but I could never get any training, ('cause nobody in my podunk town is certified for it); and when I would call the support people, they were like, "oh, just get your IT department to do it." Fuck you, IT department. Yeah, we have off-site network administrators, but that's it.

My firm does reimburse me for continuing legal education, and has in the past paid for things like Word courses. They just reimbursed me $300 for an advanced trial certification though.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I suppose it's probably different over there, but here if a company introduces new software or the requires with regard to technology change after and employee has been employed, the company has an obligation to train that employee at the company's expense. Also, company's over here get tax breaks for sending staff to higher education courses so everyone wins in the end.

I don't know what the answer is for you though Cloud. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
glatt

I'm assuming you looked at and rejected the online CLE courses offered by some of the associations. For example, NFPA offers an online electronic case management class.

The other classes you mention are something you would probably find in an adult education program or community college.

My firm is much bigger, and our litigation paralegals really only specialize in being paralegals. It's their area of expertise, and it's more than enough to keep them busy. We'll bring in experts if we need them for anything or else rely on our IT department for the technical side of things.

I can understand how it would be really interesting to be wearing many hats. Always something new. But I don't see how a person can be good at everything. Kind of like the old "jack of all trades but ace at none" deal. In the field of law especially, liability is such a big concern, you need to be able to say with certainty that things were done the right way.

Education can be useful, though. At least taking a bunch of classes would train you to raise a flag when you see a potential problem. I'm assuming you are thinking of the photograph, design, and web page stuff from an evidentiary point of view. For authenticating stuff? At least having some training would help you identify potential problems before they show up.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions than that link I gave you above. We just aren't structured that way at my firm.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
shina
Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post

My firm does reimburse me for continuing legal education, and has in the past paid for things like Word courses. They just reimbursed me $300 for an advanced trial certification though.
Does your firm have a limit on how much they reimburse annually? If so, can you just move the class to the next fiscal year?
shina is offline   Reply With Quote