The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 01-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
Spectacle
Observing the Wine

Funny, Isn't It?

Isn't it funny, when two people you knew in high school get married? When they become the "high school sweethearts?" all class reunions require?

And you think to yourself wow, people can actually stay together from the start (or relatively before the real world slaps us all in the face {I like to call that real puberty or the adultlescent times}).

Before things get real, before things get hard, before free time consisted of sitting on the couch at 9:30 PM watching TV in your boxes and falling asleep in the next five minutes, isn't if funny how people you knew-before the working world suffocated your life-make the transition, punch in their own time card and find each other at lunch, and then...get married?

Most of my friends and their respective spouses found each other post college or during, so this is a funny little instance when my close friends" Corey and Topanga" wound up together after we all rode the bus to school.

Makes me chuckle how things did work out, recalling the courtship, the prom date, the dinner with parents, the break up-make up weeks, the good night calls and the puppy "luv"?

Kind of funny to me, makes me smile.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I have a number of cousins who ended up marrying their high school sweethearts. Interestingly, they've got what seem to be from the outside, the strongest and most honest marriages. I've spent some time thinking about this, and I've wondered if it is the fact that they've basically become grown ups together and all the things they did wrong in their youth, they did together, so there's never any nasty skeletons in the closet.

I think it's lovely for them. On the other hand, I often wonder how they've made it through life having only ever been with the one partner. coming from a floozy like me, it's hard to grasp.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
before free time consisted of sitting on the couch at 9:30 PM watching TV in your boxes and falling asleep in the next five minutes
See...there's your problem right there....you'd probably be able to relax better on a couch :P (sorry....not being a spellchecker, it just made me giggle).

One of my cousins met his girlfriend when they were both about 15/16. She got pregnant at 17 just as she was about to do her A-levels and they put the baby up for adoption, because they were too young and didn't want to give up on their ambitions (he wanted to play professional tennis, she was an aspiring and very talented artist) and under quite a bit of pressure from her parents. They stayed together, through a few rocky times and a lot of good ones. She has used her eventual art degree for a variety of occupations, and does some independant art on the side. He injured himself and didn't take the tennis further.

So...now twnty five years later, they live in NZ together with their four children and, as far as I am aware are still close and content with each other. They never married.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

Aren't Jim and Jinx high school sweethearts?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
jinx
Come on, cat.

Not quite. We got together the summer after I graduated.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

I've been with my husband since I was 17 -- I think Ali has a good insight, at least in our case. He's shaped a whole lot of my personality, and I know that I have influenced him. We've never "grown apart", we've only grown together as time has passed.

Our tenth wedding anniversary is in less than a month.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

Did you know each other at high school then Jinx? I've been with beest since I was 19 (we met at uni) and I would echo what pie says. But we didn't "grow up" together (hell, we're never growing up ) OMG, we've been together 17+ years !
Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
freshnesschronic
Professor

What's the probabilities of people marrying their high school sweet hearts, if anyone knows off hand.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
LJ
i am myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Did you know each other at high school then Jinx? I've been with beest since I was 19 (we met at uni) and I would echo what pie says. But we didn't "grow up" together (hell, we're never growing up ) OMG, we've been together 17+ years !
the first time i saw her (i remember it distinctly), jinx was in her senior year, I believe.....but it took a while .....we actually went to her senior prom with other people, but hung out together more than with our dates.....

I can't imagine not being with her. srsly. I think that people that get together later in life have a harder time of it. too used to being single/dissapointed/betrayed to gel like lifelong lovers do. Not trying to take anything away from those of you who ( like UT and Jaq ) got together later....I'm sure there are pros to that too.....

anyway...i sho' loves me some jinx. now if i just had a mountain top to shout it from....
Old 01-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

My mom and dad and my aunt and uncle both dated all through highschool, my dad was my uncle's best friend, and my aunt was my mom's best friend. My mom and dad split up when I was around 3, but remain good friends (thanks to me mostly) and my aunt and uncle are still together.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My little brother saw my now sis-in-law in elementary school, and went home and told my mom about the "little red-haired girl" in his class. Turns out they were both athletic, friendly, gorgeous, and funny...and have been married over 10 years and have 3 little girls. They stayed together when she went away to college, and he went to another one. I'm sure it's not always perfect but they're pretty awesome together! He made her laugh when he came to school and told her he had learned to speak "Irish" (she has a very Irish name and red hair and green eyes.) When she asked for a demonstration he said in a very clear Irish accent "potato." He had her at potato, because she laughed her head off. They're wonderful folks, with amazing children.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
aimeecc
Super Intendent

I wasn't allowed to date in high school, and my college sweetheart ended up marrying his high school sweetheart. For a long time I wished that I had someone that knew me since high school or college, and wanted one of those relationships. But my husband and I met in the oddest of places, and it doesn't matter that we didn't know each other 20 years ago - he's still my best friend. He probably wouldn't have given me a second look 20 years ago, and I would have shied away from the popular boy surrounded by all the popular girls. Sometimes it would be nice if there were no skeletons... but we love each other, and just kick the skeletons back in the closet where they belong.
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
lookout123
changed his status to single

J and C were in my kindergarten class. All of us boys had crushes on C pretty much... well always. They "liked" each other all the way through school. She was a good girl and dated nice boys or not at all for a short time when he discovered the alure of the fabled mattressback cheerleader. They were a couple again by the end of high school. He went in the marines and she waited. He got out and they got married within a matter of weeks. That was 14 years and 3 kids ago. Their house is on the street that is exactly halfway between his parent's house and her parent's house in the small town we grew up in.

Pretty cool to think that they're 34 and have been after eachother in one way or another for 29 years.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #14
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

hmmm...yea...I think it's strange when people contact me on myspace (old friends) and say they dated \married\divorced one of my exes after I left one of the many towns I lived in.