The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Cloud

Need some basic swimming info

Somebody on here swims, don't they?

Since my knees seem to be fucked up, I want to try some swimming fitness. Now, I know how to swim--took a lot of swimming lessons as a kid, but haven't really done much as an adult. I plan to swim and do water strength training in my apartment pool (which is pretty small); but I can also do lap swimming at a local city-owned (bigger) pool.

I'm not interested in racing or joining a team. I am not built for speed!

Question: what do I really need to buy in terms of accessories? Are goggles and a swim cap really essential? What about fins? (or are they called flippers).

any comments on swimming for fitness would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
glatt

That's easy. Nothing. Just go down to the apartment pool and try it out for a while without buying anything extra. If you get into it, then you can always buy into the goggles, cap, etc. and pay to go to a better pool.

I wear goggles when I swim because I'm afraid to lose my contacts if I open my eyes underwater, but otherwise wouldn't need them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Cloud

of course, that's what I plan to do. Although I did buy a new swimsuit (and those suckers are not cheap!). My question is more toward if I do get into it--I'd like to swim several times a week, and use the right tools.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
glatt

If you are trying to limit the strain on your knee, I wouldn't use any flippers on your feet. You'll get a good workout without them, and there will be less strain on your knee. The cap and goggles are just a personal preference thing, but I like goggles a lot.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I like goggles when they work, but apparently I have a funny-shaped face* because I have never ever had a pair that didn't leak to some degree, even the expensive ones. Swim caps always gave me headaches, but if you don't mind the tightness on your scalp, it sure would be nice not to damage your hair...

*and really, I already knew this, because I'm impossible to get glasses for too.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Goggles and a comfortable suit are the only 2 things I definately suggest. TYR Racetechs are my fave, and are less than 10 bucks. I have very very close set eyes, and these are great. Nice large gasket. The only time they leak is when I make odd faces during my flip turns, which cause my face to squinch up. Doesn't happen as much now that I've gotten better at them though .

A silicone (NOT latex) cap is required only if you have long hair that gets in your mouth when you breathe, or you don't want to ruin your hair with repeated chlorine exposure. I don't use special chlorine removing shampoo, just a cap and good deep conditioner, and my hair is fine. --I don't color it though. YMMV

If your knee is an issue, and you really don't want to put ANY strain on it, a pull bouy is a great tool for isolating your upper body, and focusing on your stroke. There are many styles, the link is just to the one I have. You just put it in between your thighs, and it holds your back end up so you don't have to kick at all.

Good luck and most importantly, have fun !!!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Cloud

Great tips, guys. I knew I could count on you!

One thing I was thinking about was getting some private swim instruction to refresh and refine my technique. Maybe not right away, but after I get -- ahem! -- into the swim of things. I don't want to be flailing about wasting energy and doing things wrong. I was just thinking about a session or two. Do you recommend this?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
LabRat

Our Master's swimming group has a deal where you can swim with them for a month before having to pay dues. Look into this around you. I joined ours, and have not only gotten technique advice, but great 'official' workouts, and made a couple new friends as well.

We have everyone from former collegiate superstars, to lap swimming grannies in ours .
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

does thinking about exercising burn more calories than not thinking about it?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Cloud

I've heard about those, and am pretty sure there's one at UTEP, but am reluctant. My endurance is terrible, I don't want to compete in any way, and I'm fat.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
LabRat

You don't have to compete. Like I said, there are several ladies who just joined because it was cheaper than the Y to lap swim, and you get the bonus of swimming with people who actually were *GOOD* if you want stroke pointers. What's more important, your health or your pride?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Cloud

my pride!

uh . . .
Old 05-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
LabRat

Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Consider aqua aerobics/ water workout too.
You burn calories, tone muscles and if you have an even halfway decent tutor they will check on any existing injuries/ weaknesses at the start of every class and tell you when you need to amend the exercise to suit. I know it's not as easy as swimming in your apartment pool, but once you know what you are doing there's nothing to stop you buying the same floats etc as the class uses and doing your own resitance work alone.

Swimming is great exercise of course, but I'd get advice from someone qualified if you have a specific aim in mind. Straightforward swimming might not meet it, in the same way going all out on a treadmill doesn't.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
Cloud

yes, I will be doing that too. I can do that in my apartment pool, which is better suited for that than laps because of its size. If I can get a routine going, I'll buy the aqua jogging stuff.

But I'm not going to unless I can get in the habit of swimming in the first place. Which I'm aiming for, but -- I have to go early, early in the morning at the apartment, because in the afternoons there are a zillion families with kids splashing around, and it's just not conducive to concentrating on exercise.