The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Gas prices force local family fun/vacations. What's good in your home town?

It seems like this will be a summer with much less travel than in previous years. Gas prices have forced us to realize what is good in our own backyard. What local fun can you have in your town?

My town has NYC across the Hudson, and many ways to get over there other than driving and paying for parking. But in my own town we have a great park and mini golf and, ummm... and NYC right across the Hudson.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Stress Puppy
Elite Elitist

I live in Fresno now (Haven't updated my Cellar profile in a while). It's not my hometown, and I don't plan to be here more than 5 years (girlfriend is going to grad school). We have ... very little. There are farmers markets, few nice theaters, clubs, etc. but this town is dead inside. Like a zombie city.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

El Paso has a few small museums, an "arts center", the Sun Bowl, a few "haunted sites" and Ciudad Juarez just a few miles south.

Simply put, it's the asshole of Texas. I'm forced to live here out of love for my wife. Her arthritis is bad and she is in too much pain to live outside a hot, dry climate.

I want to live in Knoxville, Tenn. Or around there. Lots to see and do in that area. Music, art, theatre, tourist-y things, history, nature, fishing, swimming, boating, camping. Too much to list. And few if any tornados because the Smoky and Bald Mountains tend to block them.

There are all four seasons, all mild. Rarely is a winter harsh or a summer brutal. Here it's already climbing up into the 90s and will be hitting over a hundred degrees daily by the end of the month.

And we're just about to move into a house without air conditioning. I can only open three windows so far and they require a pry bar.

I REALLY love this woman, right? Right?

She wants to move to Phoenix someday. Or The Mojave desert. She will be alone there as I'll be in Heaven on Earth, otherwise known as Tennessee.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Cloud

Just say NO to the house without air conditioning. What are you thinking?

Actually, there are some things to do around here. There are missions, rock painting sites, the largest urban state park in the country (a mountain). A little farther afield there is Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, hot springs.

Not a lot, true. But not nothing, either. Pretty much every place has something--most locals don't do them, though.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

The Getty, Museum or Villa

The Beach

Lake Arrowhead

The Hollywood Bowl - Bring picnic dinner and a bottle of wine. This summer, you can go hear Joshua Bell, Yo Yo Ma, and dozens of other world-class artists. Perfect LA summer evening.

The Original Farmer's Market

A walk to Masthi Malone's, the best damn ice cream in the world.

A hundred other things. These are just on my mind, because we're planning a family fun week. I love this town.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
glatt

DC has a lot of neat stuff, but I'd rather be in Maine if it's August.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

there's even a word for it: stacation
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Cowtipping.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
DC has a lot of neat stuff, but I'd rather be in Maine if it's August.
I'd rather be in Maine for May, June, July, August and September. Maybe even October. It's already 93 degrees here. No A/C yet---only a window unit and it's not up yet. Slowly melting.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
binky
all hollowed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
El Paso has a few small museums, an "arts center", the Sun Bowl, a few "haunted sites" and Ciudad Juarez just a few miles south.

Simply put, it's the asshole of Texas. I'm forced to live here out of love for my wife. Her arthritis is bad and she is in too much pain to live outside a hot, dry climate.

I want to live in Knoxville, Tenn. Or around there. Lots to see and do in that area. Music, art, theatre, tourist-y things, history, nature, fishing, swimming, boating, camping. Too much to list. And few if any tornados because the Smoky and Bald Mountains tend to block them.

There are all four seasons, all mild. Rarely is a winter harsh or a summer brutal. Here it's already climbing up into the 90s and will be hitting over a hundred degrees daily by the end of the month.

And we're just about to move into a house without air conditioning. I can only open three windows so far and they require a pry bar.

I REALLY love this woman, right? Right?

She wants to move to Phoenix someday. Or The Mojave desert. She will be alone there as I'll be in Heaven on Earth, otherwise known as Tennessee.
Brian,

I live near the Mojave desert, Indian wells valley. AC is not the economical answer for a dry hot climate, an evaporative cooler is, as long is humidity is low (and here, 3 miles from the sun, it is). Dealing with the heat takes an adjustment, but the crime rate is low, schools are good, and housing prices are among the best in California, so here we are. That being said, there is not much to do here, and when our kids are grown, and we retire, we are off to the Oregon coast with all the rain and fog.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

Flagstaff for the cooler mountain air and camping - 1.5 hour drive
Lake Pleasant for the quick boating, fishing, whatever days - 15 minute drive
Rocky Point for a weekend at the beach -3 hour drive

In town, lots of swimming pools and water parks, nice ballparks, mediocre theater, science center, museums, and heat to bake your braincells in.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

The Brandywine River for one...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Is...is that LJ in that hat?

(adorable kid)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
jinx
Come on, cat.

Yes, and thanks, she's a sweetie.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

Lake Tahoe. Need I say more?