The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Cloud

Clean House

I admit it--I'm a slob. Spent a lot of time this past week sprucing things up in my apt. in prep for Daughter No. 2's visit. Looks good! Well, okay . . . better!

I was watching an ep of "Clean House" on the Style channel today. OMFG! Even I'm not that bad! Usually! Yet.

http://www.mystyle.com/mystyle/shows...ouse/index.jsp

Disgusting! And I feel so sorry for those people, because I understand. I do!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah, parts of our house are disaster areas. Not quite that bad though. (Mostly.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

That show is completely twisted for me because I can't let go of the idea that it's hosted by Deputy Raineesha.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'd go take a picture of youngest stepson's room for you guys, but I can't afford to replace all of your keyboards and monitors when you barf on them.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
Cloud

see sig
Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

I love that show... I find it very motivational for sure... and it is pretty hilarious that Nicey is the host.

I pretty much lived it when we went to Houston to evict my brother from my mother's house... and her dust, roaches and years of clutter while we were at it. I felt guilty for bringing my kids... fortunatly no one was hurt or tossed out by accident.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ah yes, that's an event that's certain to be in my future someday as well... I have no doubt my indigent slacker brother will still be living with my mother when she eventually passes away, and I'm sure it will be completely unclear to him why he can't just keep living there once no one is paying the mortgage anymore.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Juniper
I know, right?

I'll be the oddball - see, I don't understand how they could let their homes get this way. I mean this in the nicest possible way and I'm trying to understand - not insult - but how does it happen? Is it lack of time, lack of energy, what?

I can see how it happens for those with a mental illness or a physical disability, but most of the people on "Clean House" seem to be fairly normal people with normal lives outside their homes. So how does a person in reasonably good health let this happen?

I am by no means a neat freak. Good Lord, no. My house is kind of embarrassing most days and does have a few disaster spots - but nothing like those homes. Nothing unhygienic, buggy, smelly, rotten, just cluttered. REAL dirt bothers me too much to just let it go.

And someday I'll get the damn fruit flies out of my kitchen, too. Probably not till after canning season.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm no neat freak, nor am I a dirty-butt. I did find when I took a one-week staycation I really enjoyed cleaning a little here, a little there for which the end result was a sparkly home.

So for me it's a time thing. I imagine a person with children has some serious constraints on being a cleanaholic as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Juniper
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I'm no neat freak, nor am I a dirty-butt. I did find when I took a one-week staycation I really enjoyed cleaning a little here, a little there for which the end result was a sparkly home.

So for me it's a time thing. I imagine a person with children has some serious constraints on being a cleanaholic as well.
Yeah, but you're supposed to teach those kids how to clean so they can help out. Mine aren't thrilled about it, but they sure can clean up when they have to!

I remember a "clean house" episode with a mom and a college age daughter; the daughter had never been able to have a friend visit, and at the time she was in college to be a pianist but couldn't have their house piano tuned because of the mess. No reason at all why that girl couldn't have pitched in and hauled away some of the crap herself. I just don't get it.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Cloud

people always have things in their lives that are difficult or impossible to face, but the elephant in their living room may not be the same as yours.

You are trying to apply rational standards, but these people are not rational about this problem. They literally do not see or acknowledge it; it's very like depression, and in fact may be closely related to it, where you can't help yourself out of the black hole.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

No elephants, though my cats sound like elephants from time to time!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Have any of you ever hired a maid service? I'm thinking of having the house cleaned for my wife's birthday. I have no idea what that would cost.

(It's a surprise, so don't say anything to her.)

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Have any of you ever hired a maid service? I'm thinking of having the house cleaned for my wife's birthday. I have no idea what that would cost.

(It's a surprise, so don't say anything to her.)
$75-150 depending on how deep you want the place cleaned.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

I don't really understand it myself. I have 2 kids and our not yet 2 year old loves to "sweep", "vaccuum" and clean the living room table. I make her clean up her own spills even if it means standing over her and helping her hand over hand. I'm not a neat freak either, but I don't understand what you'd do with little kids if your house was as filthy as depicted on that show... or as my brother's family lives.... in his case alcohol is the problem... he and his wife are always drunk. It is apathy and laziness and a lack of desire to take responsibility.

And some people just have unhealthy attachments to possesions... my mother is a hard core pack rat. It doesn't help that she has significant mobility issues. I visit her and don't even ask... I just start bagging up stuff she doesn't need. She literally keeps every piece of mail... envelopes included. She has the largest storage unit, a packed attic, garage and house and brings boxes to my house for "safe keeping" I've learned just to look through and donate about 80% of it. She has no idea what she has. Last time I cleaned and reorganized we took 2 uhauls full of stuff to the local charity, and put a large dumpster full of trash/ recycling out for pick up. It was embaressing. I can't wait for her to move here locally so I can clean her house weekly. I know in her case it is depression and possibly some senility.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote