The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 08-08-2002, 03:56 PM   #1
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Baltimore

Anyone know about this city? I'm on my way there to open my own business.
I'll be living in Severn (just south of BWI) with a friend until we make enough to put me into my own apartment.

I know about the Inner Harbor and I've heard all I care to about the crime rate.
What about good restaurants? Good things for a change?

Brian
Old 08-08-2002, 04:10 PM   #2
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

What kind of business?
Sorry - no advice here...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:26 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Baltimore

Rho is from Baltimore...her parents live in Woodlawn. I'll have to send her here over the weekend.

You have cool places like Fell's Point, Canton, Lexington Market, and Mount Vernon. Highlandtown reminds me of South Philadelphia. The Art Museum area is nice too. Lots of restaurants around town...I personally like Sorrento's in Catonsville and Gampy's downtown. Stay away from West and East Baltimore.

This isn't another S&M Computers gig, is it Brian?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

re: Baltimore

Hi Brian! :-)

Syc told me about this post, and I HAD to respond. I'm glad that even though you've heard all about the crime rate (which I hear is going down), that you would still be interested in starting up a business there.

As stated previously, I lived in Woodlawn, which is in Baltimore County, so I didn't grow up in the city, but I spent a lot of time in the downtown area.

Good restaurants: I've been to several, mostly located in the Mount Vernon (Charles St.) area: Gampy's, Mount Vernon Stable, Never On Sundays, Henry and Jeff's, New World Cafe are just a few.

Try this site out for a ton of information about places in Baltimore:
http://www.baltimore.org

Here's a great description of the city from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health:
http://www.jhsph.edu/SASS/pubs/Prospectus/baltimore.htm
{quoted from the site}
"Ranked among the largest of U.S. industrial and seaport cities, Baltimore offers a lively mix of
tradition and progress with an easy, pleasant lifestyle. Its neighborhoods represent many ethnic
and racial backgrounds and it offers a variety of exciting activities.

The School of Public Health is located one mile from the inner harbor of the Chesapeake Bay, the
nation's largest tidewater bay. Here a spectacular development including Harborplace, the World
Trade Center, the Maryland Science Center and the National Aquarium attracts thousands of
visitors each year. Still guarded by the majestic frigate U.S.F. Constellation and historic Fort
McHenry, the inner harbor has gained wide acclaim for its well integrated and tasteful design. An
ultramodern Convention Center near the harbor is host to large national meetings and exhibitions
including the outstanding annual show of the American Craft Council. During the summer, the inner
harbor is the site of ethnic festivals, open-air art shows, musical concerts and sailing ships.

Theater, music, and art are in abundance in Baltimore. The Morris Mechanic Theatre offers road
company presentations of Broadway shows, and contemporary drama is produced by a resident
company at the Center Stage. In the fall and winter, the world famous Baltimore Symphony
Orchestra is the major attraction in the magnificent Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall. The
Peabody Conservatory of Music, affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University, presents concerts
through the year, and a wide range of musical performances, including those by the Baltimore
Opera Company, are conducted at the city's Lyric Theatre. In addition to numerous private art
galleries, Baltimore is the home of the renowned Walters Art Gallery and the Baltimore Museum
of Art, with their superb permanent collections.

Swimming, skiing, horseback riding, tennis, golf, and sailing are readily available for the active
sports enthusiast. Spectators can enjoy watching lacrosse, indoor soccer, horseracing at Pimlico,
or the traditional Hunt Cup in the spring. A primary attraction, of course, is baseball, now played
at the Baltimore Orioles' renowned new park at Camden Yards. The city is conveniently located
less than an hour from Maryland's sandy bay beaches and about three hours from the resorts on
the Atlantic Ocean. It is 45 minutes' driving time from Washington, D.C. and four hours from New
York."

I absolutely love my "home city". I suppose that pride comes from defending it so much with those who only hear about the bad things about it. Also, living in the shadow of DC doesn't help either (although I love DC too). I miss it terribly sometimes. I mean, Philadelphia is nice, but I get a bit homesick...*laughs*.

I'm curious: what type of business do you plan to set up?

Hope all of this helped. Good Luck!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

thanks

I can use the info.

No, Syc. I don't make the same mistake twice. I make new ones

This business is carpentry/cabinetmaking. That's all. I work with wood, not flesh, although I'd love to make that kind of money.

Wel, I'm here in beautiful Severn. Nice neighborhood. Very dog-friendly. Everybody has at least one. Now we have three of the beggars. They had a few disagreements the first night but now they're getting along pretty well. A few more days and they're going to be best friends.

My computer is mostly set up but we have a LAN here and I need to do some tweaking and software installation to make it secure and to run right. (CD ROM is cranky again).

Talk later

Brian
Old 08-30-2002, 04:12 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

If I was in Baltimore I'd make many a trip to The American Visonary Art Museum. Welcome to fantastic art. AVAM

Then I would go to Camden Yards, 'cause now there aint no strike and they have good hot dogs.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 08:48 PM   #7
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

1. The west side of the city is almost completely uninhabitable. Don't bother.

2. The Inner Harbor is overrun with tourists seeking the Rouse Company's version of a good time. It's worth an occasional visit, but not much more.

3. The Mencken Room at the Enoch Pratt Free Library (corner of Cathedral & Mulberry Streets) will be open on 9/14 for the annual Mencken Day festivities. Check it out if you have time.

4. The best crabcakes in the city are not actually in the city, but at a restaurant called Angelina's on Harford Road, in Parkville. They're about the size of a softball and contain no filler that I can discern. Worth the drive.

5. Good housing values can still be found in the Butcher's Hill area, above Canton, and in areas adjacent to the west side of Patterson Park. Not bad if you're an adventurous spirit, handy with a hammer AND a shotgun. Move quickly before yuppie vermin invade and destroy yet another neighborhood.

6. If those areas don't suit you, check out the Charles Village corridor above 25th Street. Social entropy in this area has been artificially postponed by the presence of Johns Hopkins University.

Further bulletins as they occur to me.

Welcome to Bawlamer, hon.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:51 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As I discussed in the thread about my frustrations over getting my hotel internet service hooked up, I spent about a week in Baltimore. I had something there that I'd never really had before ... the room with the view.

I was on the 32nd floor of the Inner Harbor Marriott Waterfront. I didn't end up taking a lot of pictures, but I did take some cool ones.

Sunset. I didn't have the ability to download from the camera, or I would have figured out my little problem in this one, and retaken the shot the next couple nights.

The National Aquarium is the building with the blue squiggle on the left. The Building in the Center with the lit columns is the Power Plant, which has several restaurants in it including the ESPNZone, The Hard Rock, and the Barnes and Noble. The ship moored in front of the power plant is a Coast Guard Cutter.

A similar view taken with slightly steadier hand. I didn't have a tripod with me.

Looking straight across the Harbor at Camden Yards. The M&B Bank Field is to the left of that.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Cool. I flew in to BWI from my trip, and got there at night. It is actually a very pretty city at night from above.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Being able to see it, without having to actually be in it does make it a lot better. It looks friendly from up there.

I think that it's called "Charm City" because of the number of lucky charms you need to make it out alive.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:15 AM   #11
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Great pictures... I love Baltimore. It has a lot of character, and despite it's dangerous reputation, it has a lot of really, really cool areas. It is one of the few places in the US that I would really, really, really like to live.