Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-11-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

They Laugh At Me

What do people laugh at you for?

Don't laugh at me for bad grammar. That should be, "For what do people laugh at you?"

They laugh at me for starting cellar threads that have already been done. I hope this isn't one of them.

They laugh at me when I run. Apparently I am not a graceful runner.

They laughed at me a couple nights ago when I fell down on the way out of the Disney bus. Hubby told the other passengers "she's had too many beers." I'd had ONE. It was a joke. I didn't laugh, but they did. Would've been funny too, except that I wanted more than one and would've had more than one if they weren't six friggin' dollars a piece.

They laugh at me for not picking up on what should be obvious sarcasm/parody/satire... I admit I am kind of an airhead.

Yeah, they laugh at me. I am not paranoid. I promise. Well, OK, a little paranoid. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
They laugh at me for starting cellar threads that have already been done. I hope this isn't one of them.
Did you look here?

Just kidding you, good topic.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Juni, you're funny!

Hmm, let's see. They laugh at the way I say "open." It comes out "ompen." My brothers do that too.

They laugh at me for being extremely gullible when it comes to practical jokes like lighters that shock you. My brother had one and was saying "what the...I can't get this lighter to work" which made me say "Oh, give it here" because, you know, I'm so mechanically inclined. I threw that thing across the room.

I love it when they laugh at me.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My *coughs* slight tendency towards obsessive behaviour is a source of amusement and deep frustration to my closest friends...
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Shawnee123

Yeah, they laugh when I have to move around the trivial pursuit pie pieces so that they are always symmetrical. One and five make me nervous.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

My friend, (f)J* and I were discussing Dexter. Like me, she had heard about it and formed a particular impression of it. I had avoided seeing the show for some time. Talking to her, our preconceptions of the show had been very similar. Then I saw an interview with Michael C Hall and realised who it was. I gave the show a go and discovered I had completely misunderstood it.

Because she and I had had similar ideas about it, I was pretty damn sure if she actually watched it, she'd see how brilliant it is. Why this is important to me I don't know. But it seems to stem from the fact I feel I know she has misjudged it. Because I had too. And in the same way. So...I talked it up. After a couple of attempts to work it into conversation, she seemed to be getting interested. A couple of thinmgs I'd said had seemed to settle with her. Brilliant. I'll lend it her.

Then she tells me she caught ten minutes of an episode on TV. Series 2. She'd caught a random ten minutes of a show that isn't a weekly repating formula but a novel that pans out across a series long arc, with intricate character and plot development and from that she decided she'd been right with her previous preconception.

Now...why this bothers me I don't know. But I do know I won't rest until I have rehabilitated Dexter for her. *Shrugs*

my best friend J, used to like DrWho. He saw it for the cheesy stuff it was, but he also got the whimsy and charm. He then fell off the current (at the time) series. Fine. There are bad series of DrWho. I happen to think it had more to do with where he was at than where the show as at but no matter.

Except with J thats never enough. He's an absolutist. He either likes something or dislikes it. So, instead of just not liking the current series he revises his opinion of all previous Dr Who and says it's awful.

Why is this important? No idea. But it is. So I waged a six month campaign (on and off, I am not totally ridiculous). He eventually caved and watched a double bill, handpicked to show the programme's essential qualities. He really liked it. He's considering watching the special this weekend.

6 months. Always there at the back of my mind. That's what I mean by obsession. I channel it into bombarding you guys with each obsession as it hits. A comedian, a band, a tv show. Clips and reviews and references to it.

I can, if I really exert myself resist those impulses. But it really is an effort and I don't often want to:P

* (f) J is a friend, and partner of (m) J who is my best and oldest friend.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
Shawnee123

Those are impulses you shouldn't resist. I tend to do that too, to think that someone just hasn't given something a chance and if they did they would LOVE it. But doesn't it, sometimes, turn out that way? Then I am so proud of myself for turning someone on to something really cool.

Popular culture does have glimpses of art, and an obsession with art is an admirable thing.

I ordered Dexter: your urging of the show made me remember I was sad not to have all the movie channels and their great series anymore, and I trust your judgment.

I think of all the things I really like, were it not for someone urging me to experience it I would have never been exposed. Case in point: Pulp Fiction. My ex said I would love it. The first time we tried to watch I was not in the right mood or something. I'm sure something was going on...anyway, tried it again and now I think I have large parts of it memorized. Obsession, and the fact that I always notice something I hadn't noticed before, with each re-watching. That is true of many great movies, for me. The "Oh, I've seen this before" doesn't register with me. If I like it, I want to see it again. And again...
Old 04-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have a deep psychological fear of being laughed at. I can remember my mom's friends laughing at me when I was 5. I was mortified. I imagine this made them laugh harder. Most of the things I do, I do to avoid being laughed at.

My movie obsession is Raising Arizona. Same as you Shaw, the first time I watched it, I hated it. Every viewing since: love it, amazed by it. Catch new little things every time.

- What's the music playing in the supermarket? A muzak version of the movie's main theme.
- What's playing on the TV in the chase scene, when Hi runs through the people's house? An "Unpainted Arizona" ad.
- When Hi is dragged out from under the car by the biker, it's the exact same shot as when Hi drags Nathan Jr. out from under the crib.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Shawnee123

I don't own Raising Arizona so I haven't seen it as many times as I'd like, but O Brother has becomed ingrained in my brain.

Here's a creepy vid about being laughed at:

Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
jinx
Come on, cat.

I like O Brother better just because The Odyssey is my favorite story of all time. We own it, and Raising AZ... and Fargo, which I have really been wanting to see again but can't freakin find of course. I'm gonna look for it tonight until I find it, that's it goddamnit.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
Juniper
I know, right?

I love O Brother. Napoleon Dynamite is another classic - and fitting, too, because of poor Napoleon and Pedro getting laughed at!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Like UT I hate being laughed at. Part of my problem interacting with people face to face is the idea that they will all get together afterwards and laugh about me. This too comes from my childhood.

Back when I had friends, they would laugh at my obsession with being late. I would twitch about, keep checking my watch, round people up like little chicks - even if it was just that we agreed to meet someone at another pub "about 8..." Of course there was a down side to this behaviour, which was sulking and grudge bearing (on my part) and being told to lighten up and chill. I'd like to think I'm better now, but have no way to tell.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I get very antsy when I'm late for something too SG. I don't know why it's so important to me to be punctual, but it definitely has an emotional and physical effect on me when I'm even just starting to think I might end up being late. I don't know if anyone ever laughs about that though. I've really never thought to ask.

I'm sure there are things people laugh at me about, but I don't know what they are.

Maybe if there are things people here laugh at me about they can tell me. There must be something.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have engineered situations so that I will be laughed at, for the purpose of being grossly underestimated.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Shawnee123

Pssst. Sometimes I'll say something intentionally ditzy to get a laugh. Is that wrong?