The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

View Poll Results: what do YOU think of Miss America contestants (we're generalizing here)?
I agree, they're so fake and homogeneous it's no fun to watch them 3 33.33%
You're nuts! They're hot stuff! 1 11.11%
Oh, come on, who the hell cares??? 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Question Miss America: Like it or not?

So, it's the Miss America contest tonight. I probably won't be watching it. Sometimes my wife turns it on to watch some of the talent. (It's funny for "real" musicians to watch the Miss A contestants play piano and spend more time looking up to smile for the camera than playing... tho occasionally there is a true musician in the bunch.)

But my question is simple, tho politically incorrect.

The whole point of the pageant--not the scholarships, or public service, or any of that--the REAL point of the pageant is to parade attractive young women in front of the country. There's only one problem: I don't find the contestants, as a whole, even remotely interesting. They're so done-up and fake it's disgusting. So I wonder, what's the point of the pageant if they make the "product" (pardon the expression) unpalatable to the target demographic? Or am I just weird?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:00 AM   #2
Torrere
a real smartass

A rather entertaining snippet of conversation today: I was listening to a couple of HS-Senior girls talking about Miss America or a similar contest.

Apparently, one of the contestents said that "women belong in the home' and that they should quit higher level jobs to return to the home. The other contestants at Miss America (not sure) apparently were all nodding to this.

The people I heard this from were not impressed.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:54 AM   #3
juju
no one of consequence

I totally agree. I don't see how they can call those women "the most attractive women in America", which is basically what they're saying. Most of them are so painted up that you can't see the real person through all the clothes and make-up. I think my wife is pretty hot, but the Miss America Pagent doesn't seem to agree. Perhaps they're just out of touch with the rest of the world?

Last edited by juju; 10-10-2002 at 01:02 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 03:04 AM   #4
jaguar
whig

Attractivness is a personal thing. Although some things tend to have universal appeal....