The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
SamIam

Deepest Apologies to the Cellar - What happened on my end!

This has got to be one of the most bizarre computer things that ever happened to me. My puny little E-machine helped crash the Cellar. Unbelievable!

Yesterday morning I was doing my usual 5 or 6 things at once on my computer: I had opened up a document in microsoft word, I was listening to tunes on windows media player, I was surfing the net, I had an anti-virus program running in the background AND I had a desktop alarm app set to remind me to get ready to go to work. Standard procedure - for me, anyhow.

So, I click on the Cellar out of my favorites list, and it's taking forever to load, so I get impatient and go back to my word document and I get to reading it when I happen to glance at the time down in the right hand bottom of my screen. OMG! It's much later than I thought! The alarm must have failed somehow!

OH NO! I'm gonna be late for work and Carmine will be mad and she'll yell at me and probably fire me for sure this time and I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE! So, I just jump up from the computer without shutting it off and dash around madly, fixing a couple of sandwiches to take to work, splashing around in the bathroom for a quick clean-up, gathering all my stuff together - and THEN -

I remembered that I had accidently left the headlights turned on in my truck for TWO HOURS the night before when I finally glanced out the window and saw they were on and went and shut them off - and I BET MY TRUCK WON"T START and I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE! So, I run out to start up my truck and one of my cats gets out - the one named Sylvester - and he's an indoor cat.

But thank God, the truck started, so I leave it running and dash back into the house to collect my sandwiches and stuff and I figure Sylvester will come back in except just then the lawn mower guy showed up and started cutting the grass in front of my 4-plex and scared Sylvester off into some juniper bushes across the street and he refuses to come out. So I have to ask lawn mower guy if he'd please turn off his grass cutter machine so I can coax Sylvester in. Sylvester then tries to sneak out of the junipers and make a run for it, but I catch him just in time and put him back in the house and I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE which I finally do, and I was actually at work on time.

I get all involved at work and completely forget about the morning's dramatic start and my still running computer. Everything is going fine, pretty slow day so I sit down at the motel's computer and get onto the net. I STILL can't log onto the Cellar which seems odd, but oh well.

About two hours later I'm finally able to log on here and there's the post here from UT. It says that the board was down two hours because someone's computer kept looping back and trying to log on at the same the Slurp Spider Search Engine was trying to do its thing on the board.

How strange.

THEN a little later I notice UT's post about the person using Vista and Chrome. OH NO - THAT'S REALLY ME! BUSTED!

And there's nothing I can do cuz I'm at work, and I can't ask them if I can leave just to go home and mess with my computer. When I finally got home last night, sure enough. My computer had frozen up with the alarm (which had finally gone off, I guess), windows media player, etc., etc. AND still trying access the Cellar. I had to do a cold reboot to get my computer running again.

I feel just awful. I helped shut down the entire Cellar for two hours! I am stunned that such a thing is even possible, but apparently it is. I apologize to everyone on the Cellar, especially UT who had to go to all that trouble to resolve the issue and get the board running again. I'm very sorry.

Last edited by SamIam; 05-01-2011 at 11:23 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sam, I know you fell both exposed and guilty for what happened.
But no-one here suspects for an instant that it was deliberate.

You didn't take out the power source for a hospital by hacking into it, you didn't cause an orphanage to lose all its frozen food because you were trying to piggyback their electricity supply.

Chill.

And don't do it again x
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's my fault really, if that new server would be working, the Cellar would have won the computer-on-computer battle. I just don't know why Vista can spawn an attack like that.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Any sentence including Vista AND spawn has got to have an unhappy ending.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
SamIam

I HATE Vista! I wish I could get a version of Windows on my computer. Vista is what happens to people who buy cheap computers at Wally World. When I grow up, I'm gonna buy a nice laptop with an OS that's ANYTHING but Vista.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
My puny little E-machine helped crash the Cellar. Unbelievable!
I bet you can't do it again.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

pcs and laptops are cheap these days, even with windows 7

I could easily settle for a $300 dollar laptop, if I didn't need to run any software.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
pcs and laptops are cheap these days, even with windows 7

I could easily settle for a $300 dollar laptop, if I didn't need to run any software.
And like who doesn't need to run software?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Plenty of people, otherwise they wouldn't sell them.

I would have bought a cheap one if I hadn't had classes.

Consider the I Pad and the like. I would really enjoy a handheld device for browsing. Maybe when I grow up, I'll get me one of those.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Is "end" the new euphemism for butsecks?

Quote:
Deepest Apologies to the Cellar - What happened on my end!
Well, I should think you would apologize. Telling us about what happened to your "end..."

EWWWW.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

sheldon?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
SamIam

I'm sure sheldon would appreciate that, but I don't think he's interested in the female type end!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

nobbut he does like to share what happens to his end.