The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 12-18-2002, 03:42 PM   #1
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Talking Lakers tragic demise

The lakers are 10-15. Last year they lost a total of 24 games all year. Last night they lost to the TWolves . The previous three years I would say that without a doubt the Lakers will have no trouble winning enough games to make the playoffs, but this year the East is better, with teams like the Celtics, Sixers, New Orleans, and Orlando to name a few, capable of beating top Western Conference teams. And the West is even deeper this year than it has in previous years.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:49 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I hate the Lakers with all my heart and soul...and I don't know why. Maybe it's because they just reek of arrogance, and the powerhouse of the 80s seemed like a bunch of "good guys."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:49 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I think the Lakers are obnoxious. Call me petty. The reason is simple: we've got a whole bunch of basketball players here, and they all want to play for the Lakers for non-basketball reasons. "I'll be in the spotlight." "I'll be able to make movies." "I'll be able to cut some albums." "My wife will be able to pursue her acting career." (This last was a whine from Vlade Divac when he was traded to Charlotte.) If I were a basketball coach I wouldn't want people on my team who were more interested in movies & TV than in basketball.

I have the same attitude about something some people said about the Hornets' move to New Orleans. (Yes, some of you know, I grew up in NC not far from Charlotte so I followed the Hornets since their beginning.) "Opposing players couldn't stand to come into Charlotte because there was no nightlife. They'll love it in New Orleans." Cry me a fuckin' river... you've got your major cities, New York, LA, etc. etc. Beyond those top 1/2 dozen towns what other cities are the players excited about visiting? Cleveland? Atlanta? Minneapolis?

Oh! Oh! Oh! I got an idea... how about you guys try getting off your rumps and playing some BASKETBALL????
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 01:10 AM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Alright kb, take some of this valium...you'll feel much better.

Charlotte was the victim of building a new arena without the features that are making big money now (luxury boxes).

The NBA is unique in that it is the only real game in town in several cities (Portland, SA, Memphis, Orlando). Certainly each of the 27 or so cities has enough nightlife to keep people occupied. Besides, shouldn't they be more worried about playing b-ball?

From what I read during the move to Nola, a lot of the players really liked playing in Charlotte...they seemed to have a good fan base until Shinn and Jordan hit that impasse.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote