The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Xbox vs PS2 personalities

Resident console people, I was just looking at these ign links

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/381/381457p1.html

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/381/381455p1.html

Which detail the "top 100 most wanted" for xbox and ps2, respectively. (They also have top-100s for pc, cube and gba for those interested. See the bottom of the articles.)

The top 10 ps2 games:
1. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
2. Devil May Cry 2
3. Kingdom Hearts
4. Final Fantasy X-2
5. Final Fantasy XI
6. Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille Zur Macht
7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
8. Suikoden III
9. WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth
10. Shinobi

The top 10 xbox:
1. Halo 2
2. Splinter Cell
3. Fable
4. Unreal Championship
5. Panzer Dragoon Orta
6. Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
7. MechAssault
8. Steel Battalion
9. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
10. Xbox Live
11. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I include 11 because #10 is a feature, not a game, but annnnyway.

resident gamers, what do the lists say about the personalities attracted to the different platforms? It feels like the xbox list is older, and more male-oriented. (Being an older male myself, this interests me)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:42 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Speaking as someone whose video game skills stopped progressing when he couldn't figure out what all those buttons did in Defender, I haven't played any of these. Frogger, Q*Bert, etc. are more my style. (Actually the old Super Mario games are OK too. And I wouldn't get an xbox to play it, but yes, I'd give the beach volleyball a try if I had one.) But I wonder why the PS2 list strikes you as less male-oriented? Yes, I know there are women who like video games, but Vice City, Tony Hawk, and WWE don't seem like typical female choices.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
dave

Xbox is targeted to me. Everything in there is something I want to play. That's far less true about PS2.

Fortunately for Sony, PS2 still has a shitload of games I want.

Tony - go buy an Xbox and Splinter Cell. You'll be happy.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:33 AM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm endeared to PS2 b/c I love PSX so much, but several folks (including Dave) have almost convinced me to give to Bill's Palatial Seattle Estate.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Having been a long-term Nintendo fan, it was tough for me to make the breakaway when they killed off the N64 ... but I went PS2 and haven't regretted it for a second. The backward compatability to the PSX games was a big factor in my decision ... which I haven't regretted for a second.

And I HAVE compared ... one of my friends has an XBOX, which I play fairly regularly. I'm not as comfortable with the controller configuration, and the game library isn't as extensive. And so far, anything that i've gotten totally hooked and can't live without on XBOX is on PS2 ...

Fatal Frame RULES people ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
perth
Strong Silent Type

i got a ps2 recently, and while i went back and forth for a while on ps2 vs xbox, a couple things finally sold me on the ps2:

1. the size of the game section of the ps2 at best buy. 2 1/2 rows to the xbox's 3/4 of one row.

2. the greatest hits line. 20 bucks for a brand new game thats almost guaranteed to be kick ass? sounds good. ive only bought baldurs gate and gran turismo so far, but both games cost me a total of 40 bucks and im getting my moneys worth

3. dvd without buying a remote. its not my primary dvd player, but it works well as a player in my bedroom on the old tv without rca hookups.

4. comfort and familiarity with the controller

5. backward compatibility. the moment i decided on the ps2, i had a collection of 50 some-odd games.

~james

by the way, i still feel the dreamcast is superior to all other current consoles.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:45 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What is Sony doing wrt online play?

Dave, exactly, the reason I am (finally) considering it is that I installed an expansion pack for Ghost Recon and the entire game stopped working. Splinter Cell is due out for the PC, but I'm damn tired of patching everything to hell and back and still having it not work.

In the case of GR, I've installed 50 megs of patches and gone through who knows how many detonator driver installs and Via 4-in-1 driver patches, only to BUY a $19.95 add-on break it all over again. I have elite enough hardware as you know, Turtle Beah sound and nv ti4200 video, so this is just absolutely ridiculous.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:21 PM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Tony, that's exactly why I stick to consoles for gaming. Life's to short for all that crap--if I want to futz around with a PC to try to get something to run on it, I'll go to work! I even went as far as buying a couple educational-style Playstation games for my kidlets if they would promise never to ask for CD-ROMs from the children's room at the library... I was tired of figuring out why they wouldn't install and/or run.

And yes the back library of Playstation 1 games rocks. Lots of quality games, dirt cheap used, and not all that expensive new.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:33 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The LAST thing I need if for Sony to get their online gaming act together (at least in my neighborhood, which is usually the last to get anything cool and electronic). I spend enough time online doing stuff as it is ... If I could play SOCOM online, damn, I'd never leave the house. I'd also need a catheter and I'd have to move the fridge to the living room.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:37 AM   #10
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

If you're interested in online gaming, the PC is still the best choice. The potential gaming audience is much larger (there are lots of PS2s, but few games that support its online capabilities yet; Xbox Live requires broadband, which is another limiting factor), and Quake-style FPS'es are just meant for a computer's keyboard-mouse control scheme. There really isn't much of anything resembling a MUD on consoles yet, with the possible exception of Phantasy Star Online and the new PS2 port of Evercrack.

When it comes to PS2 vs. Xbox specifically, there are tons of games that are on both systems, though sometimes delayed on one or the other. Splinter Cell, for instance, is out on Xbox and coming to PS2 _and_ PC, and the previews I've read of the PS2 version have been enthusiastic. Unless you're a major graphics junkie (the kind of person who habitually burns cash on the latest and greatest video cards), you're not going to notice much of a difference between PS2 games and Xbox games, with certain exceptions.

As always, it's about buying the system with the types of games that _you want to play_. Sports games are good on both. RPGs are PS2 all the way -- Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Kingdom Hearts, .hack, Breath of Fire, Legaia, Evercrack and Dark Cloud hold up pretty well against Morrowind and Shenmue II. Fighting games lean PS2 -- Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Guilty Gear and DOA 2 vs. DOA 3. There are decent racers on both. Stealth games (Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Hitman 2, etc.) are on both. Grand Theft Auto is a PS2 system-seller (and you REALLY need to try GTA3 or GTA:Vice if you haven't yet); Halo still moves Xboxes.

I've had my PS2 for a bit over a year now, and if I was buying it today, I'd make the same choice. But that's me -- games I really want to play (GTA, RPGs aplenty, Virtua Fighter, spooky shooters like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame for the wife, lots of oddities like Monster Rancher and Frequency) are on it, while most of those aren't on the Xbox yet. Tenchu 3 is coming. Soul Calibur 2 is coming. Star Ocean 3 is coming. GTA: Vice is already here. C is for cookie; dat good enough for me. On the Xbox, the only games that I find myself wishing for are Panzer Dragoon Orta, and maybe Deathrow to fill the sports hole.

But that's just me.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:13 AM   #11
dave

Everything vsp says is true. Which is why I own(ed) both.

If I were buying one system right now... I would probably buy Xbox, because Splinter Cell is <b>that</b> good. If not for SC... I would buy PS2, because GTA3 and GTA:VC are <b>that</b> good. I'm not much into RPG's, but I am a graphics junkie (I own two ATi Radeon 9700 Pro graphics cards).

I guess if you're on a budget... go with PS2. Greatest Hits is a definite plus, and most of Xbox's great games are already on PS2 or on the way.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:23 AM   #12
elSicomoro

Okay, here's what some other folks that own X-box have told me (and they play mostly sports games like me): The graphics are clearly better on X-box.

So, Dave and Jeff, you're both saying that I'm probably not going to see much difference between, say Madden 2003, on either system?
Old 02-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #13
dave

It all depends. A game that was written for Xbox and ported to PS2... well, you'll definitely notice a big difference.

A game that was ported from PS2 to Xbox... probably not as much of a difference.

Xbox will generally be better all-around if the developers make even a minimal attempt to tap it. Which is not to say that the PS2's graphics suck; they're okay. But if you take Xbox's best game graphically (probably Splinter Cell) and PS2's best game, graphically (probably still Gran Turismo 3)... I'd put the Xbox over PS2. And Xbox has a lot more better-looking games all-around than the PS2. Or that's my opinion, anyway.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:40 AM   #14
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Sound is a funny thing. Some people have a much more keen ear for differences in sound than others. There are some people who still don't hear major differences between cassette and CD versions of a song, some who are happy with CD-quality and can't distinguish between the playback of a $200 stereo and a $20,000 stereo, and some who can tell the difference between 320-kbps and 192-kbps MP3s of the same song with ease.

And so it goes with graphics. Some people will look at Xbox and PS2 versions of the same game and consistently see a clear distinction; others will say that they BOTH look great. I'm generally in the latter camp. (Some games have more distinct differences than others. Max Payne, for instance, is one that's clearly graphically superior on the Xbox. Many other games are pretty damn close.)

My point is that while the Xbox is as good and sometimes better graphically than the PS2, that doesn't mean that the PS2 is BAD at all in that respect. There are a lot of other considerations when choosing a console, and if the game selection isn't the number one criteria, you'll end up kicking yourself down the road.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:56 AM   #15
elSicomoro

Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'm still going to go with PS2.