The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:51 PM   #1
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Got an AWESOME new DVD player...

This evening, I picked up a pair of Cyber Home CH-500 DVD players -- one for me, one for a friend.

It plays US Region 1 DVDs out of the box.
With a one-time code twiddle, it plays ALL regions.
It CONVERTS PAL TO NTSC ON THE FLY -- no added hardware required to play PAL discs on NTSC TVs. Hello, EUROPE!
It plays VCDs, SVCDs and XVCDs.
It plays JPG photo CDs.
It plays CDRs, CDRWs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD-RWs and DVR+RWs.
It plays MP3 compilation CDs.
It plays MiniDVDs.
I'm having a hard time finding anything that it WON'T play.
It has S-Video, Component, RCA, Optical, Coaxial, Dolby 5.1 surround, and probably a couple of other forms of output I'm forgetting.
With a code twiddle on the remote control, it KILLS MACROVISION DEAD, so I can run it through the VCR and finally have a DVD player in my bedroom.

And it's <b>under a hundred bucks.</b>

"I am in LOVE" is an understatement.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #2
dave

Where?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:06 PM   #3
jaguar
whig

Nice!
Living here is good, region free players are legal, 3 cheers for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commision!
Old 02-26-2003, 07:33 AM   #4
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Where?
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JBJY/qid=1034376450/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-3317110-4161461?v=glance">Amazon</a> has it for $99 shipped.

<a href="http://store.arguselectronics.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=8&sku=803">Argus Electronics</a> has it for $89 plus shipping.

If you're lucky, your local <a href="http://www.bestbuy.com">Best Buy</a> may have it on clearance for $64.99, though you'll want to call ahead first, since they're vanishing from shelves quickly at that price. The ones I got had an Argus sticker on them, so we know who Best Buy's getting theirs from.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Good job! I got mine CyberHome 402 from Best Buy mailorder. It's got most of what the 500 has except for the optical audio output... they're nice units. It's scary what you can get for so little $$$ these days.. I'd almost rather buy a cheapy knowing that it will probably break sooner than pay top dollar for a fabulous unit that will be just as obsolete as the cheapy in a couple years.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:53 PM   #6
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

The 402 is also missing Progressive Scan and the Macrovision hack. Even then, it's a great player for the money ($69.99 at Suncoast Pictures, likely less than that elsewhere), and any player with PAL-to-NTSC support is my new best friend.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:18 PM   #7
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

got mine!

I've been looking for just such a machine.

Especially the MacroVision hack, as I too like to run my signal through a VCR (so I can record TV programs, not to copy DVDs ahem).

Two machines are on the way!

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

actually

I got the last two in stock! I refreshed the page to look at the specs some more, and saw the quantity at zero! They sure sold fast, as there was more than two when I placed the order. Sheesh! Oh well, I got mine!

Oh, vsp! Does the manual come with the Macrovision hack code and the regional code hacks? Or do I look elsewhere for them? How easy is it? And will the RIAA come break down my door if I do it?

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:00 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: got mine!

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
Especially the MacroVision hack, as I too like to run my signal through a VCR (so I can record TV programs, not to copy DVDs ahem).
Ya know... I've never had that problem.. and I've always run my DVD thru my VCR so I wouldn't have to get an RF converter to go with my antiquated TV that has no video in. When I got my first DVD player I had a VCR from 1983 or so and I assumed there was no trouble cause it was pre-Macrovision. But then it broke & I picked up a new VCR and never had trouble running video out through it either.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:25 PM   #10
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Re: actually

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR

Oh, vsp! Does the manual come with the Macrovision hack code and the regional code hacks? Or do I look elsewhere for them? How easy is it? And will the RIAA come break down my door if I do it?
In order:

1) The codes are right <a href="http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27133">here</a>, in Nerd-Out's message forums, along with lots of other chatter about the CyberHome line.

2) The region-code hack is absurdly simple, and you can do it in thirty seconds or less. A remote code opens up a hidden menu, where you can select a region code (by number or "ALL") as you would any other player setting. Once it's changed, it remains changed until you manually change it again.

The Macrovision hack needs to be performed for each disc you play, but it's actually even simpler to do (no hidden menus or codes required). Hit STOP, go to the Setup menu, switch video modes (say, NTSC to PAL or Composite to S-Video), switch it back the way you had it originally, exit the menu and resume play. Voila -- Mac's dead, Jim. Twenty seconds, tops.

3) Since the RIAA are the music people, the only thing they'll gnash their teeth about is the built-in MP3 support. You can imagine Jack Valenti of the MPAA tearing out his hair and clawing at his famed cheeks if it'll make you feel better, though.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #11
jaguar
whig

Quote:
You can imagine Jack Valenti of the MPAA tearing out his hair and clawing at his famed cheeks if it'll make you feel better, though.
Worth $70 alone!