The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-18-2001, 07:08 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Even though this made the nightly news yesterday, I couldn't help but include it here. A radio station in Dallas, Texas - where else? - is commercializing the McVeigh bloodlust.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 11:23 AM   #2
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

...simply stunning.
~Mike
Old 06-18-2001, 01:03 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, this WAS Texas as Tony mentioned...idiots.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 03:21 AM   #4
jaguar
whig

How true sycamore, any group of people stupid enough to elect Dubya..Well.....and no, that’s not an insult to the entire of the US, they didn't elect him..
Old 06-19-2001, 10:35 AM   #5
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

neither did florida.
verbatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 10:54 AM   #6
Serk
So liberal, he's conservative.

Dallas

For what it's worth, not EVERYONE is Texas cares for shrubbery... The only reason we elected him governor is that in Texas, the post of governor is almost totally powerless, just a figurehead. We figured that's be the best place to put him, to keep him and us out of trouble.

The most depressing thing about him being selected for president (Notice I didn't say elected) is the reputation that Texan's are getting around the world now... I used to be proud to say I was a Texan, now I have to quietly whisper it... That bungling idiot is destroying the reputation of the people of our great state.

We're not all like that, believe it or not.....
Old 06-19-2001, 12:52 PM   #7
TheDollyLlama
Do-er of Deeds

Re: Dallas

Quote:
Originally posted by Serk
The only reason we elected him governor is that in Texas, the post of governor is almost totally powerless, just a figurehead. We figured that's be the best place to put him, to keep him and us out of trouble.

That was the same strategy that got T. Roosevelt into the vice-presidency, and eventually the White House.
TheDollyLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 01:43 PM   #8
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Serk: love the sig, simply because it's true (I know, noone has asked me why or how in 3 years, 2 months, and 5 days). Also, I hate to break it to you, but nobody really thought that highly of Texas to begin with. This isn't my personal opinion, but if you ask people, their answer either contains the phrase "damned job-stealin' mexicans" or "steer and queers". Names, addresses, and other needed information to be forwarded upon request.

Dali: At least Roosevelt was, well, functional, maybe even intelligent. And not a cokehead.
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 01:51 PM   #9
TheDollyLlama
Do-er of Deeds

Quote:
Originally posted by alphageek31337
Dali: At least Roosevelt was, well, functional, maybe even intelligent. And not a cokehead.
A functional and intelligent imperialist, yes he was. And this opinion is coming from someone who went to Roosevelt High and is a Navy vet. Somewhat beyond the scope. The point I was trying to illustrate was that there are no "safe" places in gov't for imbeciles and tyrants.
TheDollyLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 02:33 PM   #10
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

V-P's safe enough, so long as the President doesn't take a bullet. McKinley did, thus Teddy's ascension.

~Mike
Old 06-19-2001, 04:08 PM   #11
Serk

Alphageek - Thanks, I've found the sig to be too true... When I'm in 'geek mode' my wife tends to leave the house, and just disappear for a few hours, for her own safety... She says I get this look in my eye when I've got an idea, and start tinkering to make it happen...

As to the rest of your post - I've traveled rather extensively, both in the US and abroad, and have had nothing but positive comments when I tell people I'm from Texas... (Of course, the fact that I'm 6'6" 300 pounds with a 2.5 foot pony tail might be part of the reason I've never heard anything bad about Texas in person... )

I will admit, sometimes it's hard being an anti-death penalty, anti-drug war non-republican while living here, but just wanted to point out that we're not all like dubyah...

BTW, anyone else find it ironic that the initials of the Bush twins are J&B?
Old 06-19-2001, 04:27 PM   #12
Serk

BTW, a little more background - This is the same radio station that last week caused a big uproar when 2 DJ's faked an AP wire report that Britney Spears was killed in a car wreck... (Those 2 DJ's were fired yesterday)...

They've got another billboard up that has a picture of Robert Blake with the words 'Shot in the Dark' (Title of an Ozzy Osbourne song) next to it...

If you're REALLY bored, here's a link to an article about the station and the controversy they've recently stirred up: http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainm...red_19ove.html

(Irony of ironies - the secretary for our department is dating 'Twitch', one of the 2 DJ's who were just fired)
Old 06-19-2001, 08:09 PM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Don't sweat it Serk...I honestly do not believe that all Texans are idiots...after all, LBJ was alright.

Most Texans that I've met are actually very nice folks, and although I've never been there, I've heard that Texas is a lovely state full of scenery. Unfortunately, your state has taken a bad hit with Dubya and the dragging death of the black man. Floridians are another story though. ;-)

And I remember hearing about the lack of power in the gov's office...wasn't that due to a gov back in the day who abused the hell out of the office?

I think Conan O'Brien said it best, when he was doing a sketch on the 50 state quarters: When it came to Texas, they had a picture of Dubya on the back with the slogan "Now he's your problem."

Jag: Since you're from Australia, how did you feel about the election to "dump" the British monarchy? It didn't seem like they gave you a very good choice.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 08:57 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I enjoy bashing Texas every once in a while. But like almost every other place in the world, the ratio of morons to regular people is about the same - 60-40. The south of the US has a slightly different style of moron. It's an "in-your-face" moron, often drunk, often shirtless, often seen on "Cops" involved in domestic disputes.

It could be worse. Could be Louisiana, where they take that style of moron, put a tie on them, and run them for public office.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 10:06 AM   #15
Serk

Not just Louisiana... After all, look what happened to one of the biggest morons in the state of Texas.....