The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-22-2003, 06:59 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Punishing the French

Well, it looks like the White House, against the advice of the State Department, wants to punish France. The plan is to snub them in NATO and not invite them to global conferences, at least the ones the US chooses to show up for.

It looks like our foreign policy is once more on a testosterone-fueled journey into new heights of arrogance and condescencion.

Hubris thy name is Bush.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hubris Boy is Bush? Damn, we impotant here!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Where did you get this plan, Rich?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Did you hear Frenches Mustard's recent press release? They say the only thing they have in common with the french is that they're both yellow!
... sorry ...
     I've been keeping that one to myself for days... It had to be let out.
     By the by, I heard the statue that was pulled down wasn't of Saddam. It seems it was actually of one of his doubles!
     Sorry... I'll leave now.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
Torrere
a real smartass

Once again, stupidity conquers all.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:06 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Why bother to punish the French? They are already French. Is that not sufficient?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:52 PM   #7
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

rich ... links?
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Poor Rich. Bet the black helicopters got him.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:29 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Your advertising piece for a gentleman who is likely to remain a minor candidate would probably have been better appreciated if you hadn't reposted in multiple forums.

We DO read here, you know ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:39 PM   #10
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

At the very least, proofread when you copy/paste it.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:12 AM   #11
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
Sorry,

I was a bit angry about something I read elsewhere and I felt the need to proselytize. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

BTW:

I love freedom fries. I love eating them when I travel down the tree-lined freedom street [boulevard] and drive into the parking liberty [garage] building.

But anyway...

What really irks me about punishing the French is that they were only asking for the inspections to continue a few more months. They did not rule out force. They did not lie about their position. They did not try to spin up a scape-goat. Their sole violation of American trust is that they wanted to wait a little longer before we launched a war.

Since Iraq's vaunted bio and chem capabilities seem to have been a little exagerated, our entire justification for this war - and any qualms we might have with the French have even less ground.

How can the State department honestly attempt to enact punitive action against the French? This administration just seems to get worse and worse.

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
ScottSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #12
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
Since Iraq's vaunted bio and chem capabilities seem to have been a little exagerated, our entire justification for this war - and any qualms we might have with the French have even less ground.
     This is a little off topic buy is anyone else as surprised by this? I thought for sure, that if there wasn't any really solid evidence we would still "find" some. What is the CIA doing? Maybe they need to recruit from the DC, LA or New Orleans police force to "find" evidence properly. I know of a couple of smaller police departments in Arkansas and Oklahoma that could find all the evidence anybody could ask for.
     Bitchy little jokes aside, I am surprised. Perhaps they'll find highly suggestive remanents in the rubble of a palace or two. It wouldn't take as much then, since they could say "the bulk" was blown up.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:36 PM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

War between the extremists Runsfeld, Ashcroft, and Wolfovich against Colin Powell has been ongoing since the silly China Spy Plane incident. Appears an offensive is now starting against Powell with a speech by Newt Gingrich attacking Powell for what amounts to accusations of incompetence.

These are forces inside the administration (The Vulcans) that Powell talks describes when defining Christie Whitman as a wind dummy.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:34 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Seems to me the french had more up their sleeve than a few months delay. There was an awful lot of chuckin' and jivein' going on in the background.
I've been hearing a time line on what and how weapons were destroyed in the last few days before hostilities started. Is this just spin? bullshit? I don't know.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:15 PM   #15
Torrere
a real smartass

I have utter confidence in my government that the proper evidence will become manifest at the proper time.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote