The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Who is the dumbest president?
Hoover 2 11.11%
FDR 1 5.56%
Truman 0 0%
Eisenhower 0 0%
Kennedy 1 5.56%
Nixon 3 16.67%
Reagan 0 0%
H.W. Bush 0 0%
Clinton 1 5.56%
G. W. Bush 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Dumbest President

Can a truly stupid person be an effective president?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
Torrere
a real smartass

Ulysses S. Grant
Calvin Coolidge

I don't know why you put some of those guys up there.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
I don't know why you put some of those guys up there.
I believe the term is a "leading question".
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:39 PM   #4
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
I think Reagan and GWB were both pretty dumb people. Reagan could read his lines well, but he could not ad lib. GWB cannot read his lines or ad lib, but he looks good in a flight suit ( with a stuffed sock ).

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
ScottSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
( with a stuffed sock ).
At least Clinton didn't need that.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
russotto
Professor

Benjamin Harrison. The one who died because he was too dumb to come in out of the rain.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

How dumb is George Jr. He actually thinks that silly tax cut will create jobs. We are now beginning to suffer the resulting recessionary effects from his previous 'tax cut'. Warren Buffet, last night on Nightline (see http://www.abcnews.com for a transcript) basically told it in blunt facts. His tax rate at about 3% is far below his low paid receptionist who pays more like 30% of her income in taxes. But even worse, who most needs money from this tax cut - Warren or his receptionist? Warren Buffet who is worth more than $30,000,000,000? Of course not. The person who gets least - both by percentage of incoming and in total money - the receptionist - get the least from this tax cut. Warren Buffet and most rich people (and expensive tax accoutants and tax lawyers) prosper most from this tax cut.

Buffet demonstrated stupidity of this George Jr tax cut from many perspectives. Clearly this tax cut demonstrates how stupid this president really is.

But then we have perspective. As Buffet said, the only real tax cut is one that cuts spending and then returns that money to the taxpayer. Obviously. But so many American citizens are so poorly educated as to actually believe this George Jr tax cut will make jobs. I can make jobs just as effectively. Pay someone to remove all my grass, then pay him again to restore the lawn. That too created jobs. And yet some in the public actually believe the George Jr rhetoric. So is George Jr dumb - or that smart since he can actually so decieve the public?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Benjamin Harrison. The one who died because he was too dumb to come in out of the rain.
Of course in my book that makes him a great President. Dear Federal Agent, this is what is commonly called a joke please don't kick in my door

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
As Buffet said, the only real tax cut is one that cuts spending and then returns that money to the taxpayer.
I find myself agreeing with tw again...must be losing my edge.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:22 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I believe what Bush is trying to do with this tax cut is rouse some "irrational exuberance" of the pre-dotcom-bust era. If the people believe the economy is strong, the economy will be strong.
I also believe it won't work.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Wrong one, Matt. You're thinking of his grandfather, William Henry Harrison.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 11:07 PM   #11
Torrere
a real smartass

I believe that it was here that someone informed me that Bush used to pronounce "nuclear" correctly, and that he changed to "nuke-you-lure" during his presidency. He seems to be successfully deceiving America into thinking that he is a moron (and his opponents thusly dismissing him) so that he is able to have a freer hand.

During my years in High School, I had a large report to do on William Henry Harrison. Before I started, however, the teacher had me switched into a more advanced course (which didn't have the assignment). She did this because students from that more advanced course were dropping out from it and into her class. If she hadn't kicked me and a friend out, she wouldn't have had enough textbooks for them.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:51 PM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
I find myself agreeing with tw again...must be losing my edge.
Its Warren Buffet you are agreeing with. When he speaks, he is just so simple, straight forward, and pragmatic. Whether it is silly tax cuts, or the nonsense about accounting and stock options. When Warren speaks, people listen - for good reason.

Last edited by tw; 05-24-2003 at 11:53 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:55 AM   #13
Urbane Guerrilla

Warren Gamaliel Harding, is, I believe, assessed by historians as being the least intelligent President.

This is in despite of what certain leftwing types wish to believe about either Reagan or Bush -- indeed, pundit Ann Coulter has vividly pointed out that "stupid" or "dumb" are adjectives routinely applied by the left wing chattering classes to successful politicians from right of center -- politicians to whom the Left loses elections, often repeatedly. I look forward to the American Left losing another election to George W. Bush -- because I do not trust the Left to keep us a Republic.

I have to have a Republic to live in or my life sucks. I've lived under totalitarianism before, and I am not going back. Anyone who's done his time in the military knows from the inside how a totalitarian bureaucracy works. While bureaucracy isn't a bad way to move information around, as a way of life it is terrible.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #14
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Urbane Guerrilla
I look forward to the American Left losing another election to George W. Bush -- because I do not trust the Left to keep us a Republic.
And at the rate things are going, the Right (or center-right or whatever you want to call Bush and his crew) is not going to keep us a republic either.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 05-25-2003 at 10:44 AM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 10:47 AM   #15
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
Urbane Guerrilla,

I find it interesting that you seem to think that Bush, the president that has done more to consolidate power in the executive branch than any in my lifetime, is interested in preserving the Republic. Part of the way totalitarain states maintain their power is they keep the peasant classes stupid, and in constant fear. This worked well for Hitler, and it seems to be working well for Bush.

Bush is interested in preserving the power of the rich. He is not interested in safeguarding liberty, democracy, or the republic.

Why do you think the democrats are a threat to the United States as a Republican democracy - especially since we have effectively been a Republican oligarchy for most of our history?

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
ScottSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote