The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-15-2003, 12:37 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Privacy, I don't need no stinking privacy

I thought it'd be interesting to start a thread on privacy, just to see what sort of invasion does or doesn't offend folks.

From Yahoo

What is likely to be zipping across your airspace are identified flying objects of the terrestrial kind. They are better known as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and these robotic policing craft are loaded with high-tech sensors and other snooping gear.

I'm done picking my nose in the car, I'll tell you that.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:21 PM   #2
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Re: Privacy, I don't need no stinking privacy

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff

I'm done picking my nose in the car, I'll tell you that.
No amount of federal, state or private snooping can compare to the daily inquisition one faces when rearing children. Nose-picking went out the window at about the same time as peeing with the door open. I can't so much as scratch my back without one of my three kids asking "Do you have a mosquito bite?" "Why are you doing that? You look retarded." "Didn't you take a shower?"

Government -- HAH!
Old 08-15-2003, 02:37 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Mrs. Dallas has the same complaint. They just come in and talk to her while she's in the shower or using the bathroom. It drives her up the wall. (They pretty much ignore me, though.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I get annoyed when retail cashiers routinely ask me for my phone number, area code, ZIP code and other identifiers when I'm buying things. When you refuse, sometimes it really throws them for a loop.

I was buying a $2.99 cable at Radio Shack about a year ago, and the cashier immediately asked for my ZIP code. I asked why it mattered, and he wouldn't continue the transaction! He just stood there, staring vacantly, as I asked why he NEEDED a personal identifier to sell someone a $3 audio cable who was paying cash.

Finally, I just grinned, sat the cable down and walked out. "Where are you going?", he asked. "Target," I said. "If you consider demographics more important than customer service, you don't get sales." The look on his face was priceless.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:41 PM   #5
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Unfortunately, the priceless look was more likely due to trying to figure out what all those big words meant, rather than his reaction to your radical idea.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:20 PM   #6
headsplice
Relaxed

It isn't paranoia if they're actually coming to get you

I read a really good article about public monitoring a year or so ago. The author spoke about public cameras that supposedly keep records of crimes. The author stated that there is no way we, as citizens, are going to get away from cameras. However, the author also described a situation that would be great. Instead of having a database that only gov. officials (police, FBI, etc...) have access to, make the DB of vids open to EVERYONE. That way, instead of an Orwellian nightmare, you have what could be a freer, more open society (perhaps, the author was a bit overly-optimistic).
More generally, I don't want people sticking their noses in my business. I don't hurt anyone except myself, and I think people should leave me the hell alone. UAV's over US airspace is a scary thought. It feels like grease on the slippery slope to the Thought Police.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:01 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And in Philly it's illegal to wear a mask.

When the clerk starts to ask for info I tell then I'm already on their mailing list. If that doesn't work, Cash, John Cash - Nashville.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #8
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

I've adopted the belief that privacy isn't about not being seen, it's about being left alone. To quote NationStates (did anybody else play that game?) "When you go outside, PEOPLE CAN SEE YOU."

It's easy enough to ignore people snooping on my personal life if they don't comment on it, and, at some point, the stress of keeping them out will no longer be worth the unpleasantness of letting them in. Apathy reigns supreme.

Not that I have much of a personal life, anyway.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:29 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Skunks, the problem as I see it, is you don't know what information, the people that are watching you, are keeping. They can record a lot of random statements and actions, out of context, that could add up to a pretty damning dossier of circumstantial evidence. One that is hard to defend against, or indeed, to explain, even if you did remember the original occasions.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:39 PM   #10
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

privacy went out of vouge several years ago.

no cards

Target. That's one of the worst offenders for consumer privacy.

I hope you all don't use the little value customer cards either. I'll skip the extra 5% savings to not have them keep a record of what I buy.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 08:57 PM   #11
Fluffy the Kat
Provocateur

Location: Smarmy Southern Cal. (2651E. Wall St., #2) Signal Hill,CA 90755
This Whole Privacy Thing

Dear Persons-

I sure appreciate your comments about there being no privacy anymore, and, MAN! UAV's!(?)! They're already over here in Signal Hill, Calif. 90075. Phooey on Target and those dumb bunnys, Can't use them, either!

Ha!

Your Pal,

Fluffy
Old 08-15-2003, 09:05 PM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

Enjoy the show!
Just leave me the hell alone.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 06:58 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jeep, the grocery cards don't bother me. I'm hoping the asshats will pay attention and stock what I buy regularly.
Of course I don't use the card when I buy jock itch spray.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:39 AM   #14
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepNGeorge
I hope you all don't use the little value customer cards either. I'll skip the extra 5% savings to not have them keep a record of what I buy.
Who cares if they know what you buy? So they send you targeted junk mail, instead of general junk mail. Big deal.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 08:46 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not if you give them the wrong address.