The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-22-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

United States "Free Speech" Zones

I had no idea that "Free Speech" zones existed in the U.S. Apprently the U.S. Constitution is a localized phenomenon now. Protesters, peaceful or otherwise, are threatened with arrest if they fail to contain themselves within a chainlinked "Free Speech" zone when the President, or other Superior Humans, are in the vicinity. Naturally, the supporters of applicable Superior Human are allowed much more freedom.

Luckily, some individuals are fighting the oppression, and winning to a degree. But it's pretty scary to watch the People in Power try to wipe their ass with the Constitution.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

What's the problem? Surely you don't quibble with the concept of increased security for the President. The first amendment right of free speech and protest doesn't require that any body actually LISTEN to the protest.

Next you're gonna tell me you object to the Ashcroft Amendment making evangelical Christianity the official religion of the US government.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Oh, I also object to the Ashcroft Amendment making evangelical Christianity the official religion of the US government.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
Nathan Barnes
Alphabetarian

Sir, would you please step inside the free speech zone to say that sort of thing?
Nathan Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
What's the problem? Surely you don't quibble with the concept of increased security for the President. The first amendment right of free speech and protest doesn't require that any body actually LISTEN to the protest.
I guess it really doesn't matter if they get near the Prez because they're not going to change his mind anyway. What's important is they get near the press.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
russotto
Professor

Hey, when you've got a government which wants to build a 14-foot high double-walled pipe-topped concrete fence with automatic machine guns in the middle around Independence Hall, you KNOW the Constitution is a localized phenomenon.

(OK, it's an 8-foot high iron fence and not the Berlin wall, but the principle is the same)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:51 PM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The insanity continues

From this post, a few more instances:

West Virginia
Wisconsin
Florida
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Let's see, if I'm a terrorist, and they are allowing the people holding pro-Bush signs near Bush but locking away the anti-Bush people in a cage a half a mile away, which sign would I hold? I guess it stands to reason that those holding pro-Bush signs must be terrorists.

Here's a nice little story for you.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable
Old 07-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #9
marichiko

This reminds me of an incident that occurred in my town a year or two back. A group of middle-aged Catholic nuns had organized a peace demonstration near an air force base on the outskirts of town. Its all prairie out there without alot of discernable landmarks. The nuns were arrested because they were holding hands and saying a prayer and they stepped over the invisible line onto the air force base. The judge at their trial tried to punish them by ordering them to commit community service. One of the nun's stood up in court and demanded that if she were to be "punished" that she wanted to be sent to jail. She argued that community service was not only part of her vocation, but that community service should be viewed as an honor, not a punishment. She said that to accept community service as a punishment made a mockery of her life time devotion to bettering the lives of those around her. She had a good point.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #10
busterb
NSABFD

Dotty's view of the big deal over VP.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2004, 07:24 AM   #11
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Dotty makes a good point too

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote