The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-01-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Spooker Movies

I am a huge fan of spooker movies-- not the gore, but the scary stuff. Geo and I are running thru them bit by bit.

We just saw 13 Ghosts, and I haven't been able to sleep for a couple of days. I know that the spirit world is really full of other beings, and I just can't see them...so I keep imagining the Jackal behind me.

Geo works midnights and I always sleep with the lights on, so I don't freak out at being alone. And this movie has really gotten to me... I keep jerking out of sleep and looking around in a panicked way--

Saw Final Destination 1 & 2. Loved the first one...suspense. The second one sucked....gore and no depth.

What's the best spooker you've seen? And why?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:02 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The original "Psycho" stands out for me, if I'm allowed to lump psychological drama in with spook films (which is where I think they should be classed).

Nobody outdoes Hitchcock, although I see M. Night Shyamalan giving him a good run for his money someday. Great photographic composition, that guy, and he knows how to build tension and keep it high.

Another old favorite is "Something Wicked This Way Comes"...
Old 10-01-2003, 02:04 PM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I think the scariest movie I've seen lately is The Ring.

Not everyone liked it but my wife and I thought it was terrific. Its based on a Japanese movie by the same name (Ringu). Not about gore and leaves a lot of questions unanswered - I think it is a lot scarier on the big screen than it would be on TV.

One movie that is apparently NOT too scary is Cold Creek Manor
Old 10-01-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

I liked The Ring a whole lot...man. Now THAT was spooky.

Anyone seen that...is it called Ghost Ship?
Old 10-01-2003, 11:39 PM   #5
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Anything scarier than the slow downward spiral jack nicklaus portrays in the shining? Gave new meaning to HEEEEEEEEEEEERES' JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHNNY.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:36 AM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Since we're on the subject, what's the deal with the new release of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre?

Is it supposed to be a remake or a sequel or what?

I don't think its possible to improve on the original - easily one of the most frightening movies ever made.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:35 AM   #7
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally posted by darclauz
I liked The Ring a whole lot...man. Now THAT was spooky.

Anyone seen that...is it called Ghost Ship?
I just saw Ghost Ship yesterday. Not that great, but might be worth watching for some really good gore scenes, and the creepy little girl. I thought the music was really strange, and not in a good way. It had the slow, creepy, high pitched suspense music (annoying)... and then suddenly, techno!

I liked both Ring movies I saw (US and Japanese... there are other versions I haven't seen, like a Korean one and I think a Japanese mini-series). I wasn't scared by the movies, but I liked them well enough to get the book by Koji Suzuki. Everything makes more sense in the book. It doesn't have the plot holes that cropped up in the movies. I'm just fascinated by the story, and how it has become a modern myth retold in different ways.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:47 PM   #8
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I hate scary movies, literally refuse to see them, due to an unfortunate incident with my 3 ex-step-brothers when I was 9.

However, everything I've seen by M. Night Shayamalan has been truly outstanding. I like Signs the best so far, then Unbreakable, then Sixth Sense. That's about as scary as I wanna get.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote