The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-10-2003, 01:31 PM   #1
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Baby Advice for Juju

Okay, guys. Every time I talk to Juju I give him baby advice, and he says I'm not alone. Ju says that it would be nice to have all the advice in one place, and I can't think of a better place than this. So let him have it!
Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
darclauz

1. Get gas drops. They saved my life.

2. Use Pampers...don't use the cheesy diapers till the baby gets older. And NEVER use the cheesy diapers overnight.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
juju
no one of consequence

Do they break and spill shit everywhere?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
darclauz

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Do they break and spill shit everywhere?
no. they don't hold enough....they leak, or they disinegrate into shards of cotton. then you have a sheet changing, a bath, and a new outfit at 3am.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

hmmmm....

Jeez.. this is pathetic. I've got two kids, now 8 and 4, and I can't come up with any good advice on the nitty-gritty. So I guess I'll give meta-advice.

Educate yourself, and then follow your best judgement. Don't let other people (especially relatives) push their advice on you or make you feel guilty because you're not doing it "the right way" (aka the way they did it).

Your most valuable tools as a parent will be patience and perspective. Try not to freak out over every little thing.

Sleep when you can. Don't try to outsmart the kid's schedule ("I might as well stay up another hour, she usually wakes up hungry about that time").

And finally a word of advice from my mom: "When you go out somewhere and you see some kid acting up or doing something stupid... do not EVER say, 'well, MY kid will never do that.'"
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

My advice is for older children:

Pick your battles. Not every thing is worth the fight.

Allow your child to express themselves they way they want to.

Be strict but fair.

Most important: Be consistant, and don't make threats you can't or won't back up.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

At 6 months, start whispering in her ear as she sleeps, "elope, elope, elope". It'll save you a fortune down the road.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #8
ThisOleMiss
Resident President

Baby advice:

1: No MTV ever, especially if its a girl. No Brittney Speers, no Madonna, no Christina Agulara. Unless of course you are planning on raising a hootchie mama.

2: Read to the kid. Start as soon as it comes home from the hospital and keep it up.

3: Get a copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights and make the kid read them.

4: Manners. No one likes a rude kid. Sir and Ma'am should be mandentory.

5: Keep them out of The Gap and Old Navy stores. The Gap and Old Navy are what is wrong with America. Wal-Mart isn't much better.

6: Military school is always an option.

Maggie M....
Old 10-10-2003, 08:51 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by ThisOleMiss
Baby advice:

1: No MTV ever, especially if its a girl. No Brittney Speers, no Madonna, no Christina Agulara. Unless of course you are planning on raising a hootchie mama.
Juju's in Arkansas. I don't think he really has a choice on the hootchie mama thing.

Sage wolf advice on childraising:

Get as much practice as you can with other people's children. Unless you drop them on their heads, they are difficult to damage permanently. Minor corruption is expected and encouraged. But remember ... those adults you offend today, are the ones likely to give your children loud toys as presents for years to come.

Always put an extra shirt for YOU (and mommy) in the diaper bag. Those things are huge for a reason. No matter how big the puke bib is (polite people call this the "burping cloth") the kid WILL miss it. Probability of getting the entire puke load down your back increases with the value, sentimental or actual cash, of the shirt you are wearing.

The earlier you teach your children about television and videogames, the earlier they will bogart the remote control/game controller when YOU want to play. Too much television is bad for children. Tell them this. Limit their time on the tube so that you can still finish the newest Tom Clancy Game.

Bedtime is not negotiable. Be firm about it. Do not have one of those kids who stays up until Nightline is over.

For your own safety, never refer to your offspring as belonging solely to your spouse, especially if the child is crying or has really gross poopy diapers.

You make it through the first couple months, and nothing that they do on Fear Factor will seem scary to you.

There's more, of course, but that should unsettle you quite enough for now.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:00 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Don't have anymore after this one...yep, that works.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #11
ThisOleMiss
Resident President

Sycamore day cannot possibly be October 13 because that is ThisOleMiss Day.

Forget the beer, send diamonds or cash.

Maggie M...
Old 10-10-2003, 09:14 PM   #12
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, Sycamore Day is technically Sunday, the 12th. However, it is observed on the second Monday in October...or third, depending on where the 12th falls.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:21 PM   #13
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I was going to put this in another post, but figured it would better come in handy here...

if you have a JuJu Junior (I felt like I was stuttering there for a minute) - make sure you make potty training fun.

With target practice.

Toss some cheerios or goldfishies in the bowl, and have him aim. Makes the toilet a lot less 'scary', and may make his wife a LOT happier down the road.

(Since ya'll tend to miss and all!)

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:33 PM   #14
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Beestie's tips (I have a 3.625 year old AND a 2.5 year old).

Keep mood altering substances nearby unless you like driving to the 7 freakin' 11 at 10:30 at night because you are not sure you can hold out any longer :-)

Love them with all your heart - all they want is love. I know, I know.

OleMiss' comments are dead on - read to them.

Onyx comment about picking your battles is sage advice - there are simply too many - to win them all is to crush their spirit.

One I'll throw in is to make them earn their self-esteem. I don't think spoon-fed self-esteem sticks. My 3yo is in karate and my 2yo is in ballet. I don't force them either - they LOVE it. They are both very strong willed little persons and that gives me considerable joy. I don't discourage them from standing up to daddy but it must be done respectfully and there are consequences if they are wrong.

Lastly, pray. Seriously. Kids are more than grownups can bear. A little devine assistance is welcome.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #15
Rush Limballs
NOT a gay republican

Get set up with a computer next to the crib (*THE* crib, not your crib). Then get a subscription to my Rush 24/7 website. Play the days program instead of those silly kids songs and by the time your kid is 5 , they too will be addicted to painkillers.

Or is that....YOU will be....