The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #1
perth
Strong Silent Type

Help!

Take a look at this cute little guy:

So I'm picking him up on Saturday morning, and will be taking care of him from now on. I've wanted a dog, specifically a beagle, for a while. It just happens that we have a very good friend who is moving cross country and cannot take "houdini", as he's called, with her. So it works out well. Only problem is, its kind of short notice, and I have no idea how to take care of a dog! I can't imagine it being terribly difficult, but I've never had a dog and don't have a lot of time to read up on the subject.

So heres what I know:

1. He is crate trained, but "not quite" housebroken.
2. He is neutered and up-to-date on vaccinations
3. He is affectionate and loves kids
4. 15 months old

Not a lot, I know. Heres what I need to know from all you experienced dog-owners out there:

1. What should I ask beforehand? As in, what else do I need to know right away?
2. What sorts of things should I be sure to have on-hand?
3. Any advice you can give!
4. What kind of dog food should I feed him?
5. How best does one housebreak a dog?
6. I have a cat. How do I introduce the two without having to worry that she will kill him?

I'm terribly excited, and I know I'm asking for a lot of information, but whatever advice I can get is helpful and appreciated.

~James
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

Oh, and Honey, if you read this thread? All that stuff in the post above about me not knowing what I'm doing? I'm just kidding about all that. Its gonna be fine, trust me.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Don't switch his food. He is under enough stress as it is. Keep him on whatever he's on now.

Get him som kinda chewey, pigs ear... something yummy so he won't have to destroy your stuff.

Ear plugs for you, he is a beagle he prolly likes to bark.

Now that you're a dog guy you must understand cats are disposable pets.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:44 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The dog is tougher than you think. The cat will not kill him, even if the cat outweighs him.

The dog will not kill the cat, because there are places in the house the dog cannot reach. He may however, try. If you have any extremely fragile expensive vases, you'd be best off putting them in the closet for the period of adjustment.

They may actually be totally unimpressed with each other. You might want to try petting one of the animals while you're coated in the other one's scent prior to the actual introduction. Kind of a way of indicating "this is mine, don't mess with it"

Buy a book on dog training/behavior. I hear the monks of new skete book is really good, and I'm a big fan of Uncle Matty. You may be able to find the video tapes of Woof! and Woof, Woof!! that run on PBS occasionally showing Uncle Matty's dog training techniques (he actually trains owners. The dogs pretty much know what's up). Finish the housebreaking ASAP. Your wife will appreciate it. Until then, look into a product called "Nature's Miracle." It takes the smell out. Really.

Griff is absolutely right on the chewies and not changing the current diet.

He is a cutey!! Good luck with him.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:55 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

All dog behavior problems are actually human behavior problems and can be solved with appropriate human behavior. All "dog training classes" are actually human training classes, training the humans what to do to work with the dog.

Crate training 101: crate training is a housebreaking tool. If the dog isn't housebroken, crate him for periods when you can't watch him 100%. When you take him out of the crate, immediately take him outside. If he goes outside, praise him heartily, as if he's just done the greatest thing ever.

Collars off while in crate. That's the rule, not to be broken.

UT theory, for men only: on the first day you get him, take him inside, then out the door you'll normally take him to pee. Then, YOU pee where you want him to go. You're showing him what to do. Get him to sniff it and wait a little. Hopefully he'll be in the mood and pee in roughtly the same place, or at least outside somewhere. Praise praise praise. (Do not attempt this with neighbors in sight.)

Have his favorite chew toy around. If he chews something inappropriate, bark a NO at him and then immediately give him something appropriate to chew.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
perth
Strong Silent Type

Thanks guys. I wouldn't presume to impose my will over the dogs instinct, so I will do my best to keep the positive reinforcement going.

I think what's most exciting to me, is getting to watch my son interact with and grow with him. He really likes the cat, but shes not fond of him, so it will be neat to have a pet who is eager to play with him.

The current owner tells me that as far as beagles go, he is fairly quiet, doesn't howl a lot. Not sure i believe her, though.

Also, this is kind of selfish, but do I have to keep calling him "Houdini", or do dogs even care what you call them?

~James
Old 10-14-2003, 02:45 PM   #7
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
UT theory, for men only: on the first day you get him, take him inside, then out the door you'll normally take him to pee. Then, YOU pee where you want him to go. You're showing him what to do. Get him to sniff it and wait a little. Hopefully he'll be in the mood and pee in roughtly the same place, or at least outside somewhere. Praise praise praise. (Do not attempt this with neighbors in sight.)
is this generally accepted technique?
Old 10-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dogs do know their names, but if you switch it out with something with the same general vowel sounds, he may not even notice. Hoodie, Louie, Hoopy, I think if you get that "oo" sound he will probably get the concept that it means him.

They pay more attention to the general sound and tone of the word than breaking it down into syllables to understand.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #9
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally posted by perth

Also, this is kind of selfish, but do I have to keep calling him "Houdini", or do dogs even care what you call them?

~James
Congrats on the new addition! We're in the process of introducing Max (my cat) to Heidi (my mother's corn dawggy schnauzer). It's going fairly well, so I'd say it's proof they can live together!

About the name...is he an escape artist? Would be a good reason to keep the name

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:56 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well my theory is that dogs pee where other dogs pee, and your dog does not know that you are not a dog.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:01 PM   #11
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Well my theory is that dogs pee where other dogs pee, and your dog does not know that you are not a dog.
in fact, according to some literature, aren't you the alpha male in your dog's pack?

i would caution those taking UT's advice...

1 - make sure the animal has not been used in unsavory ways by adult males or...

2 - buy a short dog.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

He looks like a "Rudy" to me.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:31 PM   #13
perth
Strong Silent Type

"Rudy" is a good one. Reminds me of The Specials.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:34 PM   #14
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I liked Louie. And, James, I know you have no idea what you are getting into :P.

Case
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:50 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

I guessing he could match the energy of ska. And I have to comment on the cool rings around his eyes.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote