The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-26-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

N64

I just got one...myt most advanced game system to date

Anyone know what a "Jumper Pak" is? And where do I find memory modules and inexpensive games? And two more controllers. I want to max out the system as much as I can.

Oh yeah, What are some good titles to look ofr and the stinkers to avoid? If anyone can remember?

Brian
Old 10-26-2003, 10:58 AM   #2
breakingnews
Q_Q

Re: N64

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
I just got one...myt most advanced game system to date

Anyone know what a "Jumper Pak" is? And where do I find memory modules and inexpensive games? And two more controllers. I want to max out the system as much as I can.

Oh yeah, What are some good titles to look ofr and the stinkers to avoid? If anyone can remember?

Brian
Three words: ebay, ebay, ebay.

Only place you can really find N64 stuff these days. No stores, not even used and small-time video game outlets carry N64 shit.

Not sure what a jumper pak is, but that might be referring to a rumble pak, which is the thing that makes the controller vibrate when you're firing plasma laser guns and getting blown up multiple times by proximity mines. You can get combo rumble paks+memory card for like $10 on ebay. There are kinds where one pak can save games for all four players.

Best games for N64 are without a doubt the multi-player "shoot-em-up" games. 007 Goldeneye is the best game EVER, as is Mario Kart. Super Smash Bros is fun as hell, and some of the sports titles are good too, like Madden, NHL '99 and Mario Golf. Not as "realistic" as PS2 and Xbox, but it has the classic feel of Genesis and Nintendo (8-bit). Nothing beats an old school game.

Oh, I got Gauntlet Legends (remember that arcade game) - FUCKING ROCKS.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Re: Re: N64

Quote:
Originally posted by breakingnews
Three words: ebay, ebay, ebay.

Only place you can really find N64 stuff these days. No stores, not even used and small-time video game outlets carry N64 shit.
Actually, that's not true. Electronics Boutique and GameStop still carry N64 stuff, particularly at their clearance outlets (EB GameWorld and the GameStops that used to be FuncoLands), and N64 carts pop up like vermin at flea markets, farmers' markets and garage sales. EBs carry used N64s for the riproaring price of twenty bucks -- for my money, the Dreamcast at $39 is a MUCH MUCH better value.

Since I loathe the N64, for once I can't be much of a source of video-game wisdom concerning it. (It's a great system, if you happen to be nine.)
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
breakingnews
Q_Q

Re: Re: Re: N64

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp

Actually, that's not true. Electronics Boutique and GameStop still carry N64 stuff, particularly at their clearance outlets (EB GameWorld and the GameStops that used to be FuncoLands), and N64 carts pop up like vermin at flea markets, farmers' markets and garage sales. EBs carry used N64s for the riproaring price of twenty bucks -- for my money, the Dreamcast at $39 is a MUCH MUCH better value.

Since I loathe the N64, for once I can't be much of a source of video-game wisdom concerning it. (It's a great system, if you happen to be nine.)
I've never seen an EB in NJ, Philly, NYC or Atlanta that's had any N64 stuff. I ran into a small store in the basement of Philly's Market East Station that has a pretty decent selection ... of everything but N64 stuff. Maybe 20-30 games for sale, plus some accessories.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

A jumper pak is the RAM cartridge that comes with the 64, it's that little black rectangle under the little panel in the front of the console. For some of the later games, they'll run best if you get an Expansion Pak to replace it. Games like Rogue Squadron will run without it, but with less in the way of graphics quality than if it ran under the Expansion Pak. I think games from LoZ: Majora's Mask to the end of the console's lifespan need the Expansion Pak to run at all. Contrarily, early titles like Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Shadows of the Empire can't run with the Expansion. Go figure.

vsp's right - EBs and GameStops all over carry used titles and accessories for the last-gen consoles. And, because they're used, the prices are very affordable.

BN's suggestions are good deals: GoldenEye is fucking mandatory to own if you're going to own a N64. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are good stuff too. For some good single-player-only action, snag Rogue Squadron, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and Mario 64. RS is a better flying game than StarFox 64 if you're looking for something to take that Rumble Pak for a spin. If you have to pick between the two Zelda games I highly recommend you get Ocarina over Majora. Majora's good, but Ocarina is just a superior game. And Mario 64 should be gotten, if for nothing else than to see Mario in 3D. Trippy.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:15 AM   #6
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Re: Re: Re: Re: N64

Quote:
Originally posted by breakingnews

I've never seen an EB in NJ, Philly, NYC or Atlanta that's had any N64 stuff.
Since Electronics Boutique's headquarters is in West Chester, the Philly burbs are _the_ best place to find oddities at EBs. Not only could I go to the EBs at the local malls (Exton, Granite Run, probably KofP) and find used N64 stuff, and probably hit half-a-dozen $20 used N64s with a thrown bread roll, but their clearance outlets (EB Gameworld) are all over the place around here.

Years ago, EB used to have one yearly sale at their warehouse, which is the old Denney-Rayburn building at Matlack St. and the 202 bypass. Great finds, but the cashier lines were beyond belief -- I remember standing in one place for an hour, watching a 3DO kiosk looping through a demo of "Twisted" over and over and over again until I wanted to kick it apart. They wised up and figured out that freaks like myself would buy used and old games year-round, and opened the first Stop & Save Software in Edgmont. I cleaned that place out regularly, and got some incredible bargains back in the day (a boxload of Duo Taps for $.10 apiece, a NIB TurboExpress for $50, a load of Turbo CD-ROMs for $5 apiece, that sort of thing).

When it took off, Stop & Save was renamed to EB Gameworld and they multiplied rapidly. The Franklin Mills store is the Home of Last Resort, where the real oddities end up accumulating when they won't sell at the "main" EB Gameworlds, but I have just as more luck with the EBGs in the 'burbs, as much of the good stuff vanishes before being shipped to Franklin Mills.

Anyway, likewise for GameStop. They're used to having major competition at their stores from EB, so they generally stock the shelves accordingly.

In Philly itself may be another story -- apart from occasional Franklin Mills visits, which barely count, the only times I go into the city itself are for sporting events, and since I dropped my Phantoms ticket plan in favor of Reading's ECHL franchise, that's pretty much over and done with.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
matt
At last! A dead star!

I have a fond memory of three friends, four controllers, and WWF No Mercy. Even if you don't like pro wrestling, it's a great multiplayer party game.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Road Rash 64 MUST be on your buy list. Beating the snot out of guys on motorcycles and killing innocent bystanders is definitely cool.

I am also a big fan of the pro-rally genre games, spent a lot of time playing Top Gear Rally and Top Gear Rally 2.

San Francisco Rush is another good time, although the addition of the stunt track to Rush 2049 increased the hilarity of our gaming sessions. (the cheat that allows you to drive the burning car does not become tiresome.)

Conker's Bad Fur Day is a must have.

Space Station Silicon Valley was a lot of fun. I enjoyed a lot of the character based games (yes, including banjo-kazooie and DK64).

Shadowman is a spooky, atmosphereic adventure game.

Mario Tennis is a must-play if you have three other friends that you want to play tennis with. Single player mode is also a lot of fun, but it rules as a party game.

My friends and I also enjoyed the multiplayer bashfest Xena: Talisman of Fate, but this is probably really only interesting to hardcore Xena Warrior Princess fans.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #9
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Stinkers to avoid:

* Superman 64 is a steaming pile of rat shit.

* Carmageddon 64 is even worse.

* As a matter of fact, any time you see the smiling fox mascot of Titus Software on a game, you may feel justified in removing it from its protective casing and smashing it into bits. The lone exception to this is Incredible Crisis for the PlayStation, for which Titus was merely the publisher and had no role in the development of the game.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:39 AM   #10
dave

What are some good games for someone that enjoys (and is willing to try) just about everything, but already has a PS2, Xbox and GameCube?

I picked up the special editions of Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time; I already own 1080, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart (hehe... it's pretty badly burnt, but still plays) and Pod Racer.

I'll probably grab Rogue Squadron and Goldeneye 007, but after that... uh? SSB isn't necessary, 'cause I have SSB Melee. Singleplayer is fine, so maybe Mario 64...