The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 11-04-2003, 12:43 AM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Saturn

My first effort at planetary imaging. I'm not impressed, but I intend to get better. (For some really good examples, visit http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rhill/al...ff/recobs.html)
Attached Images

SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:07 PM   #2
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I think it's pretty cool, even if it isn't the hubble.

On a related note, for those who aren't aware, there is a total lunar eclipse on Saturday night.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Thanks! But it's disappointing to see this after viewing the much sharper, more detailed "original" directly through the telescope.

And yes, seconds on the eclipse. Here are the details

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...l#LE2003Nov09T
Old 11-05-2003, 06:54 AM   #4
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Re: Saturn

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
My first effort at planetary imaging. I'm not impressed, but I intend to get better. (For some really good examples, visit http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rhill/al...ff/recobs.html)
Not Bad....! Excellent contrast

It has been a while since I've looked through a scope at Saturn, much less anything else. Judging from the image quality, it looks like you're using a refracting scope at upwards of 150X power. Maybe..maybe not.. You've got some chromatic dispersion goin' on.

What kind of camera? what sort of exposure time? what sort of interface? Any filters?

I hope you post more....
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:32 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It was with a Meade ETX-90 telescope and a Nikon Coolpix 995 camera. It's actually 5 shots stacked together, but the focus is so bad I don't think it helped any. The camera was connected with a Scopetronix 14mm eyepiece/digital camera adapter, so that gives a magnification of 89x plus whatever was added by the optical zoom of the camera.

The chromatic aberration is bugging me too. I think it's mostly from the eyepiece (based on visual observation of the moon) but it could be some from the camera too. Scopetronix has promised to check out the eyepiece for me if I send it back but I haven't gotten around to it.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
It was with a Meade ETX-90 telescope and a Nikon Coolpix 995 camera. It's actually 5 shots stacked together, but the focus is so bad I don't think it helped any. The camera was connected with a Scopetronix 14mm eyepiece/digital camera adapter, so that gives a magnification of 89x plus whatever was added by the optical zoom of the camera.

The chromatic aberration is bugging me too. I think it's mostly from the eyepiece (based on visual observation of the moon) but it could be some from the camera too. Scopetronix has promised to check out the eyepiece for me if I send it back but I haven't gotten around to it.
Thats a combo telescope...hmmm... I'd always wanted to try one of those.

The photo resembled my memories of Saturn through a 700mm pfl/4.5mm refractor sans chroma.

I had chroma problems too....not as bad as you've experienced and mostly with my 12mm ocular. It was a compound ocular that I later reconfigured for grater field of vision and less chromatic distortion. I think the lense had been assembled incorrectly at the factory.

Have you considered a 2X or 3X barlowe lense?
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:13 AM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Scopulus Argentarius

Thats a combo telescope...hmmm... I'd always wanted to try one of those.
I like it a lot, and they're a real steal if you can handle the older non-computerized version. ($170 for just the scope with table-top tripod legs, or $300 for the scope and tripod.)
I wanted something to give me better views of the planets, and I figured I didn't need a "go-to" setup to find Jupiter for me. I've been very happy, and I haven't even gotten to see Jupiter yet (which is my primary observing interest--I bought the scope after it was gone for the summer), but Mars and Saturn have been wonderful. I can see Cassini's division and some of the banding on Saturn.

Quote:
I had chroma problems too....not as bad as you've experienced and mostly with my 12mm ocular.
The telescope shows very little color, except with the one eyepiece.. but that's the one I hook the camera up with!!

Quote:

Have you considered a 2X or 3X barlowe lense?
I have a 2x but I rarely use it these days. With the long focal length of the ETX-90 there's not as much need for it to up the magnification. I have a Televue 8mm Plossl that gives 156, which is about as high as I can go without the image breaking up. Although if I can get the color of the 14mm camera eyepiece corrected it would probably give a nice view with the 2x barlow.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:55 AM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

What is the focal length of the ETX 90? I'd really like to move up to one of these little (are they Schmidt Cassegrains?) scopes from my DS 114 (114 mm fl 5") reflector someday soon.

I"ve got collimation issues with my scope, and I frigging *hate* collimating Newtonians. It is almost impossible to get them right, and this scope doesn't even have the center dot on the mirror...I'd have to locate and put it there myself first. Ick.

The GOTO setup, though...that is sweeeetttt...don't knock it until you've tried it. The ETX's have the clock drive base already, yes? I thought they were easily adaptable for the Meade handboxes?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:57 AM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Oh, BTW...what are you using to do the image stacking?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
What is the focal length of the ETX 90? I'd really like to move up to one of these little (are they Schmidt Cassegrains?) scopes from my DS 114 (114 mm fl 5") reflector someday soon.
It's 1250mm, for a focal ratio of f/13.8. And it's a Maksutov-Cassegrain. I believe the difference is the corrector plate is curved.

Quote:
The GOTO setup, though...that is sweeeetttt...don't knock it until you've tried it. The ETX's have the clock drive base already, yes? I thought they were easily adaptable for the Meade handboxes?
Oh, I know, I actually have the goto with my ETX-70. But it is not that fabulous a planetary scope. The goto is great for dim objects with no stars nearby to guide you. But the ETX-90AT (with goto) is running for $600. I decided for a $300 difference, for my purposes, I could do without the goto. This particular ETX, the original, just has an RA motor, no dec, and no way to fit it with the Autostar boxes.

I used a photo package called Picture Window Pro to do the stacking. There is a more specialized astro package called Registax that I couldn't get to behave, that I need to work on more. But I had Picture Window and knew how to use it already.