The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-01-2004, 11:37 PM   #1
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

April Fool Jokes

In the spirit of LumberJim, who starts random threads all the time, here is mine.

What are some of the best April Fool jokes you have played on someone or had played on you?
Old 04-02-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Many moons ago, when I was a grad student at the University of Pennsylvania, the campus newspaper ran a story that Penn had agreed to merge with the state university system. Penn State would become the University of Pennsylvania at State College and Penn would become the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia. It was several paragraphs in before I realized it was a joke. I'm not normally that gullible, but in this case, there had been a lot of controversy at the time about exactly how much funding Penn was going to receive from the state. Furthermore, it was about the third week in March. I was new on campus, so I didn't know that it was traditional to have the "April Fool's" issue of the paper close to, but not actually on, April 1, to avoid being too predictable.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:04 PM   #3
staceyv
Lecturer

the girl i work with said that when she was in school, her father set all the clocks in the house ahead about 3 hours and told her and her sister that it was time to get up and get ready for school. he let them get completely ready for school and they walked all the way to the bus stop. then he came and picked them up and told them "april fools!" it was really 4:30 am.
i thought this was a great story.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Did they normally have to go to school while it was still dark out??
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I rather enjoyed Sean Hannity's yesterday ...

He convinced most of his radio listening audience that he was going to support John Kerry.

I got it immediately, but there were a LOT of very strident callers who you could tell were not just going along with the gag!

He even had to announce on his TV show last night that it was a gag, so many people didn't get it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I heard the beginning of the Alan Colmes show--what a snooooooooze. Same April Fools thing, "We liberals have just been too critical of our President." But soo boring--is he like that all the time? (The only reason I was listening was I wanted to hear the new Janeane Garofalo show and XM cut away from it at 10 PM to do Colmes' show.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Colmes is typically more boring than that.

He is not a good foil to Hannity ... if only there were a liberal with more personality ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
He is not a good foil to Hannity ...
That's sort of the point of Hannity and Colmes (original title: Hannity and Liberal TBD).
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

brig, my life is one big april fools joke.

everyday I fool people into thinking that I know what the fuck I'm on about. whenever I am questioned about my competency, I simply wink, and say,"April fools!"
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Cellar April Fool's Joke?

This was an April Fool's joke, wasn't it? Because if refugee camps have access to Wi-Fi points, then this really is becoming a wired world.

Of course, this is not the first 'give us your bank account number because we want you to launder millions of dollars' scams I have received. It's just the first one via the Cellar.

BTW, the *** are my editing for privacy protection

Quote:
This is a message from ragina at The Cellar ( http://cellar.org/index.php ). The The Cellar owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email ragina, you can use this online form:
http://cellar.org/member.php?action=...rm&userid=****

OR, by email:
mailto:ragina*****@yahoo.com

This is the message:

Dear,

My name is ragina Sinko doghter of late Mr Wateral Sinko from Liberia in west Africa and presently iam residing in the refugee camp here in dakar as a result of the civil war going on in my country.My late father Mr Wateral Sinko was the personal advicer to the former head of state before the rebels attacked my house one early morning killing my mother and my father.It was only my brother and me that is alive now and we managed to make our way to near by country Senegal where we are leaving now.

Its mine wounderful pleasure to write you.
How was your day?.I hope you are doing well.as for me, am healthy excerpt our condition in the camp here .is like some one in the prison we dot go out, we are only allowed to go out on mondays and friday in a week.and i hope by Gods grace i will come out there.We don't have any relatives now whom we can go to all our relatives ran away in the middle of the war the only person we have now is the Rev peterson nwaeke who is the pastor of the christ the king church here in the camp he has been very nice to us since we came here on 13 march 2003 but we are not leaving with him rather i am leaving in the womens hostel because the camp have two hostels one for men the other for women.REV,Office telephone number is +( 00221 *******) When you call him, tell him that you want to speak with me he will send for me in the hostel.As a refugee here i don't have any right or privilledge to any thing because of the law of this country.I want to go back to my studies because i only attended !
my first year before the traggic incident that lead to my being in this situation now took place.

Please listen to this,i have the last statement of account of my late father's account here with me because when he was alive he deposited
some amount of money in a leading security company in Europe which he used my name as the next of kin, the amount in question is $7.2m (seven Million two Hundred Thousand Dollars).So i will like you to help me transfer this money to your account and
from it you can send some money for us to get travelling documents and air ticket to come over to meet with you.I kept this secret to people in the camp here the only person that knows about it is the Rev because he is like a father to us.My brother is in the men's hostel he is my younger brother by name Ahmed 16yrs very friendly and social to people,
I sees him on mondays and fridays because it is our visiting days.I like honest and understanding people,truthful and a man of vision and hardworking.
My favourite language is english but our language is
french but i speak english very fluently.I would like to know more about you.Your likes and dislikes,your hobbies and what you are doing presently.
Meanwhile i will like you to call me like i said i have alot to tell you.

Cotact me whit this E:mail.ragina*****@yahoo.com

With love.
MISS RAGINA.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 04-03-2004 at 11:00 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:19 AM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i would say that that is spam, or at worst, an attempt to break the law using this system.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you got it too.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
So you got it too.
I just saw your thread. I didn't go through the new posts before putting mine up.

I say we club together, set up a speakerphone and call the Reverend at the provided phone number, assuming Interpol hasn't already shut it down.

While we're talking, we can have a voice in the background saying 'keep him on the line a little longer, we've almost got the Predator drone in position'.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 04-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #14
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

We went to see a movie last night with my brother-in-law and his wife. She was telling me about an April fools joke they played on her boss. Apparently her boss played a joke on the whole office and a few of them decided to get her back. They called the owner of the company and asked him to play along too. They then typed up a letter from the Better Business Bureau saying the company owed $10 thousand dollars and if it was not paid in 10 days a $5 thousand dollar fee would be assessed. They even had the other office in Salt Lake fax it back so it looks like it came from the B.B.B. Well the boss freaked out over the letter, just like she should have and after an appropriate amount of time my sister-in-law says "Its an April fools joke". The boss then says "I don't want to see any of you in my office anymore, if I see your faces I am going to kill you". My sister-in-law thought she was kidding but apparently on Friday when a few people knocked on her door to ask her a question she said "what did I tell you all about not wanting to see your faces in my office".

Some people can dish out the jokes but they cant take them in return.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

The worst joke I ever heard about was one played by someone I worked with on his friend 'Ed'. Now I had heard a lot of 'Ed' stories, and my mental picture of him is the mechanic in "Bachelor Party", a complete party animal.

Ed was in a bar with his friends. It was near closing time and Ed decided to take home any woman who would say yes, so he picked up someone who his friends did not consider very attractive.

A few months later they borrowed/stole some stationary from a lawyer acquaintance and sent him a fake paternity letter from the woman.

BTW, when I finally met Ed, he was sober and in a relationship. Maybe the prank did it.