The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 04-29-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

On the way to the dentists......

I go past a ruined Abbey. Every time I go by I am rushing to make an appointment....I scoot past along the motorway and it never fails to make my jaw drop. Its huge when you are alongside it and its ruined aspect makes it look tragically beautiful.

That said I havent ever gotten around to going there for a visit when not rushing towards the drill.....

I went to the dentist a couple days ago and was again reminded of its existence and decided since I wasnt going to visit it I might at least go seek a few pictures to look at with a little less haste than is considered polite on motorways......and I found some gorgeous ones taken by a couple of travelling phototaking net peeps......

Ruins of 12th Century Kirkstall Abbey

And just in case anybody is interested in it's history

http://www.kirkstall.org.uk/abbey/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

It's stuff like that that make me miss England.

We visited the Midlands in July last year. Spent most of our time in Stratford-on-Avon, but we managed to get up to Warwick Castle, pics are here. I had lived near Tamworth when I was young, and to me, England was the most fascinating place on the planet for a young boy to grow up.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

great pics perth! good eye!
Old 04-30-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Wait, you actually have Dentists in England?

Ok, bad joke. Genetically, I am half English. I have also been running up the dental bills at home.

I've never been to England, but would like to go there one day and visit the various stones sites. I might make it to Stonehenge itself, but I have heard that since the last pack of idiots almost damaged it, it is somewhat restricted.

Stones of England lists the various sites. Some of them are from the Bronze age, about 2000 BCE.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:53 AM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
It's stuff like that that make me miss England.

We visited the Midlands in July last year. Spent most of our time in Stratford-on-Avon, but we managed to get up to Warwick Castle, pics are here. I had lived near Tamworth when I was young, and to me, England was the most fascinating place on the planet for a young boy to grow up.
perth, you might have mentioned the giant people that you saw when you were there. Christ, the one guy is twice as tall as that house!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
perth
Strong Silent Type

Isn't that cool? I only think I ever visited the one at Bourton-on-the-Water, but if I remember right, a lot of villages over there had "model villages", which had their own, even tinier, model villages within. I hadn't seen any of those things since I was 12, and going back as a 25 year old brought back memories I didn't even know I had.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
DanaC

Quote:
Wait, you actually have Dentists in England?
Can you imagine anyone who needs them more?

I think the main difference between English attitudes to dentists and the rest of the western hemisphere is that whereas others might see dentists as a route to preventing dental problems we see them as the people who help us fix our teeth after we've spent a few years mindlessly fucking them up *smiles*

Luckily I have a very nice dentist who pulled a few strings to get me veneers done on the national health service so now I dont look like I have English teeth at all!
Old 05-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #8
DanaC

Yey I figured out how to get pictures onto here.....I still havent acquired any photos of my own tho, so I leeched some off line. These are pictures of the countryside around my area taken by other people ( probably ramblers)
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2004, 09:11 PM   #9
DanaC

and since I dont know how to put em all in one reply....
heres another
( I walk all over here with my dog )
Attached Images