The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Time Travel INC.

If you could pay a visit to any point in History, anywhere in the world, where and when would it be and why?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

WAY too open ended. What can I take with me? Is this a one way trip? Can I move around in time? Can I go back again? Who can I take with me? You never played D&D before, huh?
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

The first place/time I think i'd go would be to The very beginning. I'd like to see Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals interact. I'd like to know the truth about that. I'd also like to impress them by lighting a fart with a bic lighter.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They would kill you.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

or worship me
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:04 AM   #6
DanaC

Quote:
WAY too open ended. What can I take with me? Is this a one way trip? Can I move around in time? Can I go back again? Who can I take with me? You never played D&D before, huh?
*chuckles* no in fact I never did.
Well, ok here goes. It's a visit to this time/place so you get a ticket both ways. You go alone. You are there in the capacity of observer. You are unseen and unheard ( think of yourself as being a fly on the wall)

The cost of such a trip is so great that most people would only be able to afford one in a lifetime
Old 05-17-2004, 04:04 AM   #7
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
or worship me
We already have the answer to that one. They killed Jesus, then they worshipped him.

I'd time travel back to some place more pleasant - say Tahiti before the Europeans arrived and avoid the entire issue.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:24 AM   #8
Pi
desperate finder

The moment my parents conceived me... Want to know if they were happy that moment
Old 05-17-2004, 08:58 AM   #9
DanaC

If I could go back to any time it would be the great meeting between Edward the Confessor and his greatest Earl, Godwine,in 1051/52 when England stood on the brink of another terrible civil war and those two great statesman stood off against each other. With the charge of treason floating acreoss the air Godwine sought safe passage to the meeting and was refused. Both parties had armies ready. What an atmosphere that must have been! All the courtly intrigue that had led to the stand off.....Edward locked in to a childless marriage with Godwine's daughter......Godwine charged with treason for his refusal to lay waste to Dover on Edwards orders......Must have been an electric atmosphere at the meeting....Godwine eventually fled with his family and was pronounced Exile ......Two years later he was back and ws once again Father in Law to the King and Englands most powerful Earl.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
glatt

I thought about this for a few minutes. At first I thought watching the failed assassination attempt of Hitler might be interesting. I wonder if the German officer who planted the briefcase bomb had sweat trickling down his brow. I wonder what the reaction was after the bomb went off. If Hitler wet himself. If everyone left, running and screaming out of the room. Insider details like that.

Unfortunately, all the famous events that took place in a moment in time are usually the bad ones. The good things in the world take time to slowly build up. Rome wasn't built in a day. But the WTC did fall in a day when the planes hit.

At first, trying to come up with something good, the only thing I could think of was Jesse Owens, the black American, winning at the Olympics in Nazi Germany.

Thinking about "Good," I immediately started thinking about religion. What if I went back to witness the miracles religions are based on. Get to see if they really happened. Yeah, that's it. I'd go back and watch the tomb to see if Jesus really did rise from the dead. That's what I'd do. Put the tomb under surveillence. I would drink some invisible coffe to stay awake while I was standing there as my invisible self, and see if that rock moved.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:36 AM   #11
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

I would enjoy watching Van Gogh paint Starry Night, or maybe sit in a lawn chair and watch the Sistine Chapel ceiling be painted.

If I am not just a 'fly on the wall' but rather totally incorporeal, I would consider standing in Hiroshima during the dropping of the bomb. Consider, yes, but I think I would reject the idea as way too depressing and wind up standing under Apollo 11's Saturn V rocket as it takes off to the moon - as long as I have REALLY good earplugs.

If we are not limited to events where we know the _exact_ time of the occurence, I would enjoy seeing the last wolly mammoth hunt done by humans, or a Tyrannosaurus attacking another dinosaur, or better yet, seeing the asteroid impact that doomed the dinosaurs.

I would consider sitting in on the Sermon on the Mount by Jesus, but give me two years prep time to learn Aramaic first.

Decisions, decisions, decisions
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Go back to the night before the Clay/ Liston fight and bet the farm at 8 to 1.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:42 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'd spend some time hanging around Los Alamos during the Manhattan Project, and have a front row seat for Trinity, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki.

It's something by which I have always been fascinated. I think I've mentioned my a-bomb lust several times before ... I want to see it really happening, Oppie and Groves and Teller and Szillard and Fermi ... *drool*

Oh, and yeah, I'd like to go to the Nuremburg Rally, just to see if Hitler was as compelling an orator has history books would have us believe ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #14
marichiko

If I could be given an understanding of Sanskrit or ancient Hindu, I'd like to be a bird sitting on the branch of the Bodhi tree where the Buddha became enlightened. I'd like to watch him approach the tree in his unenlightened state and then see him go through the whole process of becoming an enlightened being. I'd fly after him when he got up and gave his first teaching, "The Fire Sermon." I imagine that it would all be pretty amazing stuff. I'd also like to be a moth and witness the most incredible Leonid meteor shower of all time.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:33 PM   #15
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

If I could only observe, I would go back to watch the Constitutional Convention.

If I could do things when I was there I'd go back in time and eliminate certain people who have caused tremendous evil on the world before they were old enough to unleash the horrors they would eventually cause to happen in America.

I'd get rid of:

Harry Anslinger
Joseph McCarthy
Prescott Bush
Cecil Rhodes
Karl Marx
Edward Mandel House
J.P. Morgan
John D. Rockefeller
Mayer Amschel Bauer (Rothschild)
Engels, Friedrich
Joseph Stalin
Adolph Hitler
Mao Tse-Tung
Pol Pot
Osama Bin Laden
Yasser Arafat

*Of course there's always a danger that one of the people who died as a result of these guys is even worse than they are.

I'd also make sure scandal kept the worst presidents in American history from getting elected like:

Abraham Lincoln
Woodrow Wilson
William Howard Taft
George W. Bush (Neither of them would exist, or the brothers because dear old grand daddy would be gone)
Ronald Reagan
Richard Nixon
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Without these people we would have had no American involvement in WWI, not WWII would have happened period, and no cold war afterwards, also most likely no civil war.

And if I could just go back to meet people I'd go meet Thomas Jefferson, Peter McWilliams, Albert Einstein, Ayn Rand, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Steve Wosniak, etc.

I might also visit Jesus of Nazareth if he weren't a fictional character.