The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-16-2001, 12:59 AM   #1
Nothing But Net
Professor

Military Tribunals for Terrorists

It seems like all the liberal orgs (ACLU, et al) are up in arms about this.

Why?

1) I subscribe to the belief that only citizens of the US are entitled to ALL the rights enumerated in the Constitution.

2) They purposefully committed sabotage against us (meaning we were not technically at war with the perpetrators at the time, but we were and just didn't know it, as in Pearl Harbor).

3) The terrorists lived normally among us, and used the openness of our society against us to further their evil agenda. In that light: they are spies.

4) Say what you will, but the Islamic world seem to be the crux of the majority of terrorist attacks for many years now.

So what's wrong with enforcing our immigration laws a bit more strictly?

We are not (like the Taliban) going to execute people for commiting adultery. We do execute people for murder, like Timothy McVeigh, and you, Osama bin Laden.

Osama, pray to whatever pig-god you believe in, and I hope you see that pig soon.

Last edited by Nothing But Net; 11-16-2001 at 01:01 AM.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 01:09 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

*sighs*
post it in the existing thread
key thing that comes ot mind is what if a person suspected of terrorism is a US citizen, what are their rights then?

The other thigns that came to mind is that i think the Basque Sepratists, IRA, marxist movements in brazil, Kashmir(argueably islamic) etc are not to be forgotten here, the american "war on terrorism" seems to be very, very myopic in its naming.

Your comments made me wonder - you religious? CHristian? Do you see a religious war aspect to this?

Last edited by jaguar; 11-16-2001 at 03:41 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 08:47 AM   #3
dave

the problem is, what is an act of terrorism?

what if i'm accused of breaking into a bank electronically? is that terrorism? they're trying to make it so, i promise you that. and if someone does a good job spoofing this attack from my address, can i be whisked away and tried in some "military tribunal"?

what if, NBN, someone didn't like you... and they somehow got into your home (it isn't hard, you know) and planted material relating to bombs, airplane blueprints, airport security material and a manifesto of how to hijack a plane? and then got an anonymous tip about how "this nothing but net guy has been talking about how to watch the news in 3 weeks, and we'll be sorry that we pissed him off"... would you be singing the same tune if you were quietly whisked off and tried in a military tribunal and sentenced to five, ten, or even LIFE in prison? would you think it was such a great idea then?
Old 11-16-2001, 11:52 AM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Military Tribunals for Terrorists

Quote:
Originally posted by Nothing But Net
1) I subscribe to the belief that only citizens of the US are entitled to ALL the rights enumerated in the Constitution.
What is you commit a crime in another country and you were put on trial there? Granted now, this is a country with a helluva lot less rights and freedoms than our own? You're up shits creek though...b/c you are only covered under THEIR law.

I firmly believe that IF any foreigners are caught and prosecuted due to 9/11, they should be afforded the US legal system. Those prosecuted in the 1993 bombing were afforded that.

Quote:
4) Say what you will, but the Islamic world seem to be the crux of the majority of terrorist attacks for many years now.
Maybe against the US and Israel. Then there are the IRA and ETA (both of which are from predominantly Catholic populations).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 04:44 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

Moussaoui

The Bush Administration has decided against a military tribunal for Moussaoui. This seems curious to me. Any thoughts?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 04:56 PM   #6
alleycat
Alphabetarian

Re: Moussaoui

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
The Bush Administration has decided against a military tribunal for Moussaoui. This seems curious to me. Any thoughts?
one theory i heard on the radio is that means they feel they have a strong enough case to win in a regular court room.

and that statement in itself seems like a good reason to be staying away from military tribunals - if their case isn't strong enough to win in court, they shouldn't win it. not to mention other perfectly good points already made.

why is it that in the face of this so many people seem to be in such a hurry to give up the very things that make this a great place?
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 05:02 PM   #7
dave

Well. My guess is that it's too public for them to use a military tribunal. Sure, a military tribunal would be "great" to take care of some dude that no one knows about. But this guy is all over the papers and whatnot. They don't want to make it look secretive.

P.S. - Big Red gum is good. Jenni got me a pack of 17 and I have one piece left. Yum.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:12 PM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

yeah, strong case, heavily publicized- the media would raise hell if they were denied access. And that attention might, maybe, focus people's attention on the implications of "military tribunal".

Gotta give a salute to MN FBI for taking notice of this guy, even when Washington wasnt concerned.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote