The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 11:11 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Must be space week here; I have a few other space-related pictures that are pretty cool. This is a European rocket taking off, and I think it's pretty cool because it's so different-looking. We've seen so many images of American rockets and so rarely see other countries' rockets.
Old 02-11-2001, 06:16 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
... This is a European rocket taking off, and I think it's pretty cool because it's so different-looking. We've seen so many images of American rockets and so rarely see other countries' rockets.
More interesting is that these French rockets are the world leaders in commercial satellite launches - not America.
Old 02-11-2001, 08:43 PM   #3
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
Quote:
... This is a European rocket taking off, and I think it's pretty cool because it's so different-looking. We've seen so many images of American rockets and so rarely see other countries' rockets.
More interesting is that these French rockets are the world leaders in commercial satellite launches - not America.
Agreed- the US has invested so much time, effort, and pride in the Space Shuttle in the past 30 years that it has fallen behind the ESA in the development of inexpensive, decent disposable rockets to put commercial sattelites into orbit.

I believe they still use a Titan variant at times,
Z
Old 02-12-2001, 11:36 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Thumbs down

Its pretty sad, isn't it. I'm reading Ken MacCleods "The Cassini Division" right now. Privitized space anyone?
Old 02-13-2001, 02:55 AM   #5
failsafe
Lead Subordinate

Quote:

Must be space week here; I have a few other space-related pictures that are pretty cool. This is a European rocket taking off, and I think it's pretty cool because it's so different-looking. We've seen so many images of American rockets and so rarely see other countries' rockets.
The European rockets are faster and more skilled than the American rockets. They are also better passers. But you'd better have a few American rockets on every team as they play more physical.
Old 03-14-2001, 09:49 PM   #6
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Smile BTW, This Ariane 5 orbited Oscar-40...

A quite sophisticated amateur radio satellite. After some nasty technical problems it may be nearly ready for commissioning. It is at least *functioning*, and I've received and decoded telemetry from it. I also have a number of other contacts logged that were made though orbiting amateur radio satellites.

Closed Thread