The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 03-11-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Ohio.....

In the not so distant future I'll be travelling to wonderful Columbus OH for business.

Any things to see while I'm there? Any things to avoid? (Besides the entire trip?)

I'll be working most of the day, have some of my evenings free, but don't know my way around ....

Would like to tho

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

If you have a free day to waste and you like airplanes go see the air force musium in Dayton , leave early as there is LOTS to see .
If you are into the collage bar thing go hang out by the collage , lots of student bars down there ,
If you like ribs go to Damen's , damn good ribs ,
or visit the original Wendys based in Columbus
Columbus is an ok town , i have spent some time there
Old 03-12-2005, 06:31 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

yeah, Dag--come to Dayton and we'll hang out! Go hang out around Ohio State and pick up some studley football players! How long will you be there?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

The Dayton Ham Radio Festival (forgot its exact name) should be happening soon. When?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hamvention May 20-22.

You could also come to Dayton to see Orville and Wilbur's birthplace...god this town is boring... OH! but we have a great museum! Dayton Art Institute. And two or three decent restaurants...but, this is all Dayton, not columbus.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Dagney

I'll be in thow for a week, but not sure if I'll be able to get to Dayton..(Considerin I'm a bit lost on where Dayton is in relation to Columbus without my map *G*)

Studly men sounds good....I'll give you the address to deliver a few *WEG*

Old 03-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
Dagney

Woo...we're here!

And it's a pretty city to drive into at night. We're staying near the Nationwide center...so hopefully there will be some neat restaraunts and other cultural things to do when we're not visiting the client.

Will post photos when I unload the camera!

Old 03-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagney
Any things to see while I'm there? Any things to avoid? (Besides the entire trip?)
...Damn, you took my line!
Well, in order to be useful, may I recommend Blues Station -- good music, better BBQ. And Aladdin's Eatery on Grandview. There was one in Cleveland when I went to school at Case that I just loved. Every time I got back to Cols, I have to stop in to their branch and get my fix.
Katzinger's Deli in German Village is cool, too.
- Pie
Old 03-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
Dagney

Well, I've returned from beautiful Columbus Ohio....and yes, I do actually think it's a pretty city. Drove around, did some sight seeing, (when I wasn't worky like a fiend). Enjoyed myself. Am planning a personal trip back....will get to explore more And yes, we're headed for Jazz and Blues clubs...(We couldn't find German Village tho )

Old 03-30-2005, 05:15 AM   #10
earthboundandgagged
Angels burnt up on re-entry

If you want culture, the Arena District is not the place to be in Columbus.

I could talk a lot, but check these out:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/

http://www.shortnorth.org

Ohio is also good for looking at things that are really broken in the middle of nowhere, if you're into that. Details here:

http://www.forgottenoh.com
earthboundandgagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
mrnoodle
bent

re: Forgotten Ohio

That's really weird...we have SOME abandoned buildings here, but improved real estate is so dear that pretty much every available structure is used for something. Why do so many people just walk away from these places, and why doesn't someone come right in behind them with another business?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

That's because you have a functioning economy. Where I live we have some real estate pressure from speculation/summer homes and the like but you still see barns caving in since family-scale agriculture is dead. I guess its funny that city folks buy here thinking they'll turn it over for a profit in a couple years but not real funny.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
earthboundandgagged
Angels burnt up on re-entry

Abandoned housing has become a real problem in my community.

My thoughts are that it relates to disintest in tending to/fixing up older areas combined with the availability of McMansion style housing on the (relative) cheap. Shoddy construction materials and methods, bad land...but hey, it's big! You can raise a family there! So what if it's essentially a supersized mobile home minus the mobility?
earthboundandgagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:28 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar Earthbound. You're spot on with the McMansion scenario.
Up the street, big houses on small lots, selling for $300k+. They need a good security system because you can break in with a pen knife....no exaggeration. The walls have studs 24" on center with drywall on the inside and vinyl siding outside. Oh, and insulation. That's it! You could kick a hole in the damn wall.
The commercial buildings are not that much better. Rent a "pad site", throw it up, make some money then walk away with bankruptcy.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:03 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

A friend of mine bought a brand new McMansion down near Philly and spent the next couple years fixing it. I wonder how they're going to look falling in? I'm thinking they'll go down fast.