The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Next Nik Everett Group appearance

Thursday May 12, 8:30p, Tin Angel Philadelphia.

We have installed a new drummer, Bobby Carburetor who is excellent, a natural, and should propel us along quite nicely. It's gonna be a good act, we're gonna entertain the people! As usual, we'll be "too loud for the room"!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

when's the first Los Angeles gig?
Old 03-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Maybe you should be efforting that Smoothy.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Really man...! The airfare is not that much.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
We have installed a new drummer, Bobby Carburetor who is excellent, a natural ...
And an acquaintance of mine. Who has a very nice website about Philly music.

This is just entirely too cool!!

I'll have to see if I can do anything about getting off work for the gig!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Superb Wolf! Rob seems like a very good guy (he did not violate the no-assholes band policy) and is definitely quite talented.

SM, we are still looking for the ideal keys player, so if you'd rather play the semi-pro circuit, with the occasional lowbrow watering hole, here's that opportunity!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Another date announced: World Cafe Live (Upstairs), Saturday July 8. Co-bill with Cliff Hillis who I am excited to hear as well.

It's only $6 to get in that night, but fries are $10 at the Cafe.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:55 PM   #8
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
SM, we are still looking for the ideal keys player, so if you'd rather play the semi-pro circuit, with the occasional lowbrow watering hole, here's that opportunity!
Oh man, I don't know how I didn't see this the first time. I'm in! My preferred carrier is American Airlines, and my preferred accomodations are Marriot. I can forward you my backline requirements and travel info, if you want. Just let me know when the gigs are.

Of course, you'll need to include airfare for my keyboard tech too. This will be fun! see you at rehearsal!

-sm
Old 04-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Aw cmon!! My buddy has a Casio and I have an old Peavey 15" combo amp and an ironing board. We'll be getting $25 per for the small shows and $100 for larger ones. Maybe you can make a little more if you hawk CDs after the show.

And the songs are excellent and we entertain the people.

I tellya. I was mocked again tonight by my buddy who said that I smile so much on stage. I feel lucky and feel like it's a privilege to be there.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:30 AM   #10
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

you know what? that rock! i can't tell you how many times I look with unabashed envy at guys who don't have to make their living playing, and as a result they just soak in the awesomeness of every moment of playing.

Long live the weekend warrior kick ass rock and roll hobby players.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:04 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Old 04-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

Coast to coast talk is fine, but lets put together a tour with stops in the flyover zones.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #13
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker
you know what? that rock! i can't tell you how many times I look with unabashed envy at guys who don't have to make their living playing, and as a result they just soak in the awesomeness of every moment of playing.

Long live the weekend warrior kick ass rock and roll hobby players.

Let's make a big Cellar band. Any style is good. We could have a yearly gig/BBQ/beer bash.

I am envious of UT and sm -- it'd be nice to have regular paying gigs. I'm not sure why our band hasn't connected yet. I know the style of music hinders us as far as widespread acceptance, and we lack the firebreathing frontman that would get us noticed in wider metal circles, but we always get props for our shows.

I wish I could soak in the awesomeness OR get paid. I rarely get to do either -- too worried about not screwing up. How do you regularly performing musicians overcome the technical aspect of playing, clear your minds and just kick ass onstage?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 PM   #14
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
How do you regularly performing musicians overcome the technical aspect of playing, clear your minds and just kick ass onstage?
Practice, practice, practice. There is no secret zen mind mode that will get you there, it's a function of technical fluency and musical confidence. I know what I can play, and I am confident in my musical choices, and it comes from hours and hours and hours spent with my hands on a keyboard. I'm sure UT is the same way with bass.

I'm a big believer in the 80% rule - the most difficult thing you attempt in a live setting should only be 80% of what you're able to do in personal practice. Leave yourself that level of cushion to account for nerves, bad sound, a drummer dragging a bit, the hot girl in the front row winking at you, any of a thousand things that will make the live performance more difficult than the private practice.

-sm
Old 04-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'm totally an ear/feel player and so for me, practice is getting to the point where I know the song completely and can turn my brain off to the mechanical, and just turn on to the feel, the dynamics and such. Bass is not a chops-oriented instrument, and it shouldn't be IMO. That extra 20% is still needed though, because the bass is the foundation and has to be dependable if the band is to work right.

I am utterly self-conscious in real life, but on stage it all disappears and I am comfortable. Don't know why.