The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Which is more evil?

Hillary wants to pass a no-burn flag law instead of amending the Constitution. So which is more evil? At least the Republican nutjobs acknowlege that there has to be an amendment to mess with freedom of speech. They are sociopaths for suggesting it, however.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

Hillary wins the blind patriot points with out putting real teeth into it. Is manipulation less evil than force?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

The Dems need to not run someone this time whose followers "know" (s)he doesn't really believe the nonsense (s)he spouts.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hill's goal here is to force the Rs to spend stomping up-and-down time on an issue that doesn't really resonate with the public. And also to get them mad at her. If they are mad at her, she will win.

I didn't read Sun Tsu but I've spent time with people who did
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Until I read UT's post I was thinking "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic"

Now I realize it is more of the same political shenanigans. Ugh. Still, how about stirring up some real shit, instead of these red herrings? (Hilary)

BTW, I met Hilary once and she has back. All kinds of back. She's got back she hasn't used yet.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The only way to win political office in this country is to make sure and divert the public from anything bearing even the most remote similarity to an actual issue. Make shit up, blame it on the other guy, sit back and bake until done.

I think UT's got this one right.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
BTW, I met Hilary once and she has back. All kinds of back. She's got back she hasn't used yet.
Huh?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

They're both evil. One of the things the flag stands for is my right to burn a flag if I feel like it (assuming it's my own flag)
Old 12-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
marichiko

I think that all flags wrapped around politicians should be burned!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:51 AM   #10
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Flags are essential. We must have a flag so that cannon fodder can wrap themselves in it. We need our cannon fodder properly directed. Every nation needs cannon fodder from time to time. Don't burn flags. Otherwise we would never have tools to convince cannon fodder that they are the patriots.

This safely posted here because no one in the Cellar would be foolish enough to become cannon fodder. I could be wrong.

Last edited by tw; 12-09-2005 at 01:55 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:05 AM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

cannon fodder? well, i guess i've signed up to be cannon fodder for the last 13 years(although January 12th will bring the end of my military career). i don't think i'm the most stupid individual on the planet.

i do believe that burning that flag is a constitutionally protected right that i'm willing to give my life for. even if the people who do it are, IMO, ignorant and generally just piss me off.

i believe that the idiots who want an amendment banning flag burning are just that - idiots. most of them don't get why some of us who have been willing to put on a uniform and hold a position are ok with the constitution the way it is.

i believe that the idiots that want to pass a law against flag burning, don't truly believe in the cause, and are only doing it to position themselves for the next election cycle and are double damned.

i don't care what the hell you stand for, just truly stand for it and i'll support your right to do that. if you are just vocalizing certain "beliefs" to get votes... well, i'd like to shoot you for it.

yep, i've been absent from the cellar, but little has changed in my thought process.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:15 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123

yep, i've been absent from the cellar, but little has changed in my thought process.
It is nice to be able count on some things.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #13
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Hill's goal here is to force the Rs to spend stomping up-and-down time on an issue that doesn't really resonate with the public. And also to get them mad at her. If they are mad at her, she will win.
I'm not sure on this one. I think getting your opposition mad at you might be a bad idea. Making your oppo made gives them a reason to come out and vote against you, even if they don't like their particular candidate. You want your opposition to be apathetic and disinterested, and to stay at home on election day.

-sm
Old 12-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #14
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The only poeple who will get mad over flag burning are histrionic politicians. Few will go to the polls over it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
The only poeple who will get mad over flag burning are histrionic politicians. Few will go to the polls over it.
Eh, back in the late 60's the "love it or leave it" crowd might have. I don't see it as being one of today's burning issues, though (so to speak )